JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Danny Le and I had a conversation this weekend about shanks and how ruining they are and can be.

I’m not one that suffers from it, despite having every other miss out there. My questions to you are, do they creep into your game? Is it every round? How do you get rid of them?

Mostly happen at the range. Think in play only has happened this year out of bunkers. I can miss heelside all day at the range and then on course toe everything.

About 2 or 3 times a year, I will hit a couple of shanks in a row.
I get rid of them quick by closing the club face and purposely swing from the inside and really rotate my forearms a couple of times.
That always works for me.

I had 4 rounds in a row this year where 80% of my short wedge shots were shanks.

It was terrible.

Took a lesson and they went away.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm not sure its even safe to post in this thread with that word up there.

I had a terrible bout of them in high school or college, cant remember which, and couldn't get rid of it. I quit the game for a year, came back, and have never really had them creep back in (knock on wood).

I did hit a good one last weekend, but that was due to a grip that slipped.

If I have one nowadays its generally in the bunker or on a short pitch shot when I move my body/head.

Happened last year and it was devastating while it hung around. Making sure to close the face and working to be better aware of the face the whole way through the swing helped get rid of them.

Ugh unfortunately yes.

I never had this problem until 2 years ago. It came out of nowhere and I worked my butt off to get rid of them, hitting the range, doing certain drills, etc. I didn't have a single issue all of last year but this year is a different story. About 4 months ago they creeped in and have been happening more and more frequently. Actually its to the point that I have played only 1 time in the last 6 weeks and the only reason I played was because it was with THPers. They come out of nowhere, I play 7-10 holes just fine, then bam I hit one...you try to shrug it off but eventually it all falls apart and its all you can think about when standing over the ball. Its awful.

I get them in my short wedge game. (75yrd & in, picth/chip)
I stop rotating my arms or hands or body.

i fix it by trying to be more relax & "just hit the shot" & leave the technical mindset aside when trying to execute.

Hope this make ssense

Yes it happens, it will be with the 50* wedge. I just have to stand a bit further away from the ball and make sure I keep my head down. Doesn't happen very often but it does and it sucks.

I will have them come out of nowhere at times. Usually it means that I'm too far out on my toes during the downswing and throwing the arms from the top instead of leading with my lower body. The scariest shot in golf is the shot right after a shank.

Shanks are always lingering... I could go without a shank a whole round or two but they are certainly waiting in the wings. When they do happen I just brush it off as not the norm so shouldn't really be worrysome.

Im gonna hate myself if this changes after I post this, but no. I dont ever really shank one and if I do, its extremely rare

It is something I have fought for longer than I can remember. My miss is almost always heal-side, rather than on the toe. My shanks are almost always short clubs, particularly lofted wedges. They come out of nowhere and linger for awhile and then go away. I have taken lessons, read countless articles, watched video, and I still cannot tell where they come from. I suspect that it is when I stop making a turn with my body and my swing is too much with the arms.

I actually have been fighting them a little bit recently, after playing the best golf of my life in late July and August.

There is “a shank” and “The Shanks”

I’ve dealt with both. A shank is a head scratcher, one of those “what the hell just happened”. I shrug it off and hit it again. The Shanks are something entirely worse...I try to figure it out, get frustrated, complain, spend hours at the range and ultimately ask for help. God those are horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had it once during a round and I still don't really know what the cause was. Talk about an uncomfortable feeling.

Shanks have been the bane of my existence the last few months and have resulted in me having some anxiety about my golf swing. I wish I knew how to get rid of them, but I'm having trouble figuring that out.

Yes i’ll do it with a wedge every now and again

it'll happen to me from time to time, maybe 10-15 times this year, which isn't that much over 50 rounds or so

When I was in prison, I did what I had to do and I would prefer not to discuss it any further.

On the golf course, luckily I haven't had one in a while, but earlier this year I had some chipping shanks and it was frightening. I am regretting all of this as I type it.

When I was in prison, I did what I had to do and I would prefer not to discuss it any further.

On the golf course, luckily I haven't had one in a while, but earlier this year I had some chipping shanks and it was frightening. I am regretting all of this as I type it.

Hahah. Love this answer.

Nope. As trash as my swing is, that is not something I have to worry about.

I might shank 3 or 4 tines a year and it’s always on a green side chip. I don’t get in a funk with long stretches doing it.

Have I crept a little close to el hosel on the rare occasion? Yes.

Have I repeatedly done that to the point of infinite rage? No.

I still do it way too much. The most frustrating are my second shot right after hitting my tee shot dead center of the fairway. So I set up on a level lie, wide open shot to the green and then shank it 45* right of my target into the rough.

Especially when I try to hit a hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back