Putter: Soft or Firm

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Talking with Danny this past weekend at Shaft Up he has moved into the Odyssey EXO. We got to talking about firm vs soft faces and how it impacts our stroke.

Do you have a preference in what you like? Why?

I like a softer feel. Mostly because it annoys @pkorf ?. Seriously though, I’m not sure why, it just seems to feel better to me.

Soft.... I feel as those I have a bit longer backswing than I need for any length of putt (Ive worked to limit... but) and to compensate a softer feel gives me more consistent feedback on roll and distance for my stroke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I’d call it a firmer feel. I want feedback of where I hit it. Usually associated with firmer faces, but with technology we have these days, even many insert “softer” putters are being able to give that feedback as well.

I’ve used mostly a milled putter most of my golfing life, but I do enjoy the exo feel (possibly getting one soon thanks oitw) and really intrigued in the new ping sigma which is supposed to be soft but has a ting type sound.... putters are amazing and so much fun haha.

I cannot do a marshmallow putter though haha. I tend to leave a bunch of putts short with them.

Soft. I find that don’t go 15 feet past the hole as often.

Hmm I’ve always been a firm feel guy mainly because I like the way a mulled face feels at impact. I actually think though that sometimes a milled face “feels”(sounds) softer than an insert.

Hmm I’ve always been a firm feel guy mainly because I like the way a mulled face feels at impact. I actually think though that sometimes a milled face “feels”(sounds) softer than an insert. I guess it varies depending on the putter. I own both but am always referring to a firm feel for some reason.

Soft. I love a putter with a soft feel. I absolutely cannot stand clicky feel for putting.

I like soft feel best

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Firm. Probably because I have used a 100% milled steel putter without an insert my entire golfing life that putters with non-metal inserts just don't feel right to me.

I guess firm. Love, love, love my ER2. Perfect feedback in terms of being able to tell how purely and how close to center I struck the ball. I do like the grooves though. I've putted with butter knife Scotty's, and that's too firm, too clicky. But I also don't like the feel of O-Works. I thought I did the first time I messed with one, but the more I did, the more I realized it was lacking feedback (at least for me). Too difficult to dial in my distances.

No preference to speak of. I just want consistent feel. I can get used to anything that is consistent across the face. but my putter collection is pretty limited so... maybe I need more of them to develop a true preference.

I prefer a softer feel. I have the SC 7M and I love the soft feel. It took me a while to get used to its softer feel but my lag putts are much better now.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I like something in that goldilocks zone somewhere in between. If anything, I shy toward the firmer side.

I like firm with zero bouncy feeling. I'm not saying I'd never change but it took me a long time to really gauge the stroke for distance, and I feel like i have it pretty much under control.

Whenever I putting with something that is softer feeling I feel like I over crank the ball.

Posted on Tapatalk via my Motorola RAZR

The last time "hard sounding/feeling" putters were popular was more than 10 years ago. Once the standard for the putter industry went to 340 grams (and heavier) putters, to me they all had a soft sound/feel.
As head weight goes up the sound/feel/feedback from impact with the ball is diminished.
I think the reason that the industry went to heavier heads, and these days 350 grams seems to be the standard, with some heads up as heavy as 400 grams, is because at heavier weights all strikes sound/feel reasonably soft and good. Players like not having to suffer the negative feedback sound/feel from a mishit putt.
The old standard of 295 to 320 gram head weights, where only a solid square strike had a pleasingly soft impact sound/feel, are gone now in favor of heavier heads with less feedback.

Firm for me! I don’t feel like I have to take as big of a stroke to get the ball to the hole and in turn it helps me hit my line more often. Smaller stroke is just less of a chance to make a mistake for me.

I still rock a brass putter, the ball seems to have more effect on my putt than anything else.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

For the sake of this discussion I'll say "firm", but in truth I really prefer something in the middle. A milled face with a nice mid-milling seems to be my favorite, but I thought the EXO was a good way of adding some feel to the marshmallow O-works.

Firmer the better

Nice milled face

Firm definitely. Most insert putters feel too soft for me with the exception of the firmest of the 3 spider inserts.

The feel of the ball is way more important to me than the putter face. I like a firm feel when I’m putting.

Firmer feel for sure. I always seem to struggle with faces that are too soft.

Half way in between. I like soft but not squishy like the microhinge

Back