KBS C-Taper Shaft install/trimming

chpar4

Albatross 2023 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Ok so I’m preparing to install one of the C-Tapers I won in my Rogue Pro 9 iron. I chose the R flex in .355 I know to only but trim to length. Here’s my issue. I have received 3-9 plus an additional 9 for the PW. I play irons +1/2” and my set make up is 5-AW.
If I use 9 in AW and PW and 8 in 9 and so on can I assume they will play a little softer than R. If so can I tip them a tad?

“Measure twice, cut once”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so I’m preparing to install one of the C-Tapers I won in my Rogue Pro 9 iron. I chose the R flex in .355 I know to only but trim to length. Here’s my issue. I have received 3-9 plus an additional 9 for the PW. I play irons +1/2” and my set make up is 5-AW.
If I use 9 in AW and PW and 8 in 9 and so on can I assume they will play a little softer than R. If so can I tip them a tad?

“Measure twice, cut once”

Yes, what you are essentially doing is soft stepping once (assuming you are not going to use the 3 iron shaft). That will make them play softer. Since you play 1/2" long, cut to normal length for that iron shaft (4 iron length), not the head (5 iron length). They are taper tip, so the problem is if you tip too much you're going to get too big of diameter and it won't fit in the hosel. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if they will fit in the hosel 1/3" up, which is what you'd need to tip to bring back stiffness of 1/3 flex down from soft stepping.

soft stepping like that will make them feel 1/3 to 1/2 flex softer because you're removing more material from the stiffest section of the shaft

have an electronic caliper (or any caliper really)? if not, get one, they're cheap and have many uses

1. measure the intended cut point. if this is equal to or less than 0.355", proceed to step 2
2. measure the outer diameter of the shaft 1.25" above your intended cut point, then measure the inner diameter of the hosel (if it's a stepped hosel measure the top of the narrow section, this is usually 1/4" below the top). this will tell you for sure if the shaft will fit.
3. if it does not fit and you still want to go ahead with this experiment, you will have to ream the hosels
4. another alternative would be sanding the tips to fit, but I don't recommend that

soft stepping like that will make them feel 1/3 to 1/2 flex softer because you're removing more material from the stiffest section of the shaft

Not removing anything from the tip yet just using 4 in 5, 5 in 6 etc..
Hosels are .370 and I have shims.

have an electronic caliper (or any caliper really)? if not, get one, they're cheap and have many uses

Have one measured and will fit.
At this point trimming .375 from tip and but to length will bring them back to R? If I trim .500 from tip it should bring them to R+ a little correct.

1. measure the intended cut point. if this is equal to or less than 0.355", proceed to step 2
2. measure the outer diameter of the shaft 1.25" above your intended cut point, then measure the inner diameter of the hosel (if it's a stepped hosel measure the top of the narrow section, this is usually 1/4" below the top). this will tell you for sure if the shaft will fit.
3. if it does not fit and you still want to go ahead with this experiment, you will have to ream the hosels
4. another alternative would be sanding the tips to fit, but I don't recommend that

Last edited:
No joke. I would just buy one more 9 shaft off ebay and have them perfect.

the stiffest part of a shaft is the butt end... when you tip trim this means you will be leaving more material at the butt end (assuming a fresh uncut shaft), contributing to a stiffer feel

tip trimming is shaft dependent, tip trimming 3/8" in theory will "add" 0.25 to 0.5 flex, for some this is imperceptible (especially 0.25 flex) and might even fall within manufacturer tolerances

No joke. I would just buy one more 9 shaft off ebay and have them perfect.

This. I wouldn't tip a taper tipped shaft at all.

FWIW, the Ctapers were/are designed to be stepped one way or the other, it was a big discussion when they were released several years back. They’re stout as heck, and because of that as a high SS player the three times I’ve been fit into Ctapers it’s been S flex hard stepped once, or X soft stepped once.

Last edited:
So I installed the 8 iron shaft in the 9, butt trimmed to 1/2” long. Took it for a spin tonight. Being these are stout I figured the soft stepping would be ok. Distance almost identical to XP105 maybe a yard or 2 more. Feel is superior. I can feel the head during the swing much better which I really like. Dispersion was much tighter also. Flight is a little lower and more penetrating. No problem getting the ball to stop either. Going to take a few more spins to make sure but I think these are going in pretty soon. Will probably install the 5 iron next to see how the long irons feel as well.
Thanks Again THP and KBS.

Update, I’ve decided to have the professionally installed. Still going 1/2” long and putting 4 in 5 etc. Should have them back by this weekend to get them on the range. Hit a 6 Iron Rogue Pro at the shop I was out and this shaft produced the best carry and dispersion. Was getting consistent 180+ carry. For me that’s insane at 62. Will provide more feedback after I have a few rounds on them.

Update, I’ve decided to have the professionally installed. Still going 1/2” long and putting 4 in 5 etc. Should have them back by this weekend to get them on the range. Hit a 6 Iron Rogue Pro at the shop I was out and this shaft produced the best carry and dispersion. Was getting consistent 180+ carry. For me that’s insane at 62. Will provide more feedback after I have a few rounds on them.

Dayum Chuck. Set up sounds like a winner. Have fun with those.

Dayum Chuck. Set up sounds like a winner. Have fun with those.

I think I will! Wasn’t sure I could handle these, but the soft stepping seems like a winner. Time will tell.
Now if I can get one of them new driver heads for my fitting next week!

Back