THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

No there is not.

That is my favorite format. Locally, that's known as a "Florida Scramble". As I think I noted previously, in such a format, I was partnered with a young buck that could hit the 300 yard drives. I played from places I had never been before, it was one of the most enjoyable rounds I've ever had. Our gross score, beat the low net. Put me with a partner that can pound those long drives and we ain't gonna lose.
I'll be your Huckleberry!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Which format does everyone feel their game suits best - individual heads up or pairs/partners? If it's pairs, what format do you feel most comfortable with?

For me, I think my game matches up very well with a shamble. I drive the ball well, but sometimes get erratic with my irons. Having a strong iron player with me makes a pretty formidable team.
Bring on ANY format ... played them all!
I'm not really sure format really matters much .... your either on or your not. You have to just swing the club, with confidence, whether it be the driver or the irons. You can feed off your partner to some extent. But I think it all comes down to the short game and putting.
The best driver in the world can't hold up against the short game wizardry or someone that drains them from everywhere .

Not a Sermon. .. Just a Thought

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Got in some short game practice today in San Diego. Played an executive course to make me hone in those scoring clubs and wedges.

Also excited to see what TT and THP is gonna bring to this event. It's gonna be an experience like no other.

Speaking of do any of you guys want a piece of someone on the other side? When the event comes is there someone you would prefer to play and beat? Always nice to have some fun friendly personal rivalries in the mix of the event as well.

I think mine is known and shared as T2GRN18 the respect for him is through the roof but that still doesn't mean I want to beat him badly ;).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I haven't met any THP'ers other than the ones locally to me so I can't quite say who I'd like to get a piece of on the Carolina side. I'll take anyone on the Carolina side regardless!

Tie all of those posts together and if doesn't get you fired up for this event....I'm not sure what it would take.

The No. 1 shaft company in golf is excited, that's pretty effing cool!

I agree. Can't wait for JB to start spilling the beans on what will be happening. Makes you really want to win MVP.

I agree. Can't wait for JB to start spilling the beans on what will be happening. Makes you really want to win MVP.
Winning MVP should be high on everyone's to do list. But that will be the result of a solid well executed plan. Keep your eye on the prize and don't stop pushing till you get what you're after.

Tie all of those posts together and if doesn't get you fired up for this event....I'm not sure what it would take.

The No. 1 shaft company in golf is excited, that's pretty effing cool!

Those posts just add fuel to my desire to want to be in.

Which format does everyone feel their game suits best - individual heads up or pairs/partners? If it's pairs, what format do you feel most comfortable with?

I like a best ball format. Allows you to change strategy based on how your partner or opponents are playing. I am pretty consistent but do have blow up holes so you can get coverage from your partner. Bad part about alternate shot is the tendency to get down on yourself if you are struggling and leaving your partner in bad shape.

We went in with a wish list and they loved every single thing on it

Dude that's no surprise, you guys deliver a concept or an idea and have a way of delivering much more than folks can anticipate or appreciate. I'm diggin it!

It seems like most (if not all) of us like team/partner events.

So if individual play is a part of the event, how are you going to prepare for that? Will it change your game at all?

I've personally played in a few match play tournaments, but it been a while. I also get in some handicapped money games with friends from time to time, too. That seems, for me, the best way to get my mind right for match play. Having something on the line makes me grind just a little bit harder than when I'm only playing against myself and the course.

So if individual play is a part of the event, how are you going to prepare for that? Will it change your game at all?

I've personally played in a few match play tournaments, but it been a while. I also get in some handicapped money games with friends from time to time, too. That seems, for me, the best way to get my mind right for match play. Having something on the line makes me grind just a little bit harder than when I'm only playing against myself and the course.
I'm quite certain we will not looking at singles during this event.

Big time +1 on this. This event is too important to lose. I'll do whatever it takes to make sure the DMV comes home winners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm quite certain we will not looking at singles during this event.

Good to know. I knew that the format hadn't been announced, but didn't know individual play had been ruled out.

Good to know. I knew that the format hadn't been announced, but didn't know individual play had been ruled out.
I'm not saying it's totally ruled out, but it's unlikely with this being a 27-36 hole event.

Agree 100%. If you aren't motivated now, not sure what else it would take!

I'm not saying it's totally ruled out, but it's unlikely with this being a 27-36 hole event.

The only thing I thought possible would be something like 9 hole scramble, 9 hole alt shot, 9 hole individual or something along those likes.

Which format do you think your game excels in the most, and why?

I like shambles as it minimizes any bad strokes I make on a hole. But, I want to feel the pressure of the game and see if I have what it takes so given the choice, I would go the match play route.

Last edited:
I forget what it is called, but best drive then alternate shot....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So reading the Ohio vs. Michigan THPRegional Rivalry thread, there was a lot of talk the last couple pages about opening tee shots at a THP Event.

For those of you that have an experienced a THP event, recount your first tee shot ever at a THP event. If you haven't been in a THP Event, what will you do to control your nerves, trust me there will be nerves.

For me: My first THP event was the Bridgestone Championship in 2014 at PGA National. Due to some some major havoc at Chicago, OHare airport my partner and MikeG's partner did not make the event. So last minute scrambling put JB and Hawk in the field. And paired Mike and I in the same group.

We went off as the first group on Saturday morning, whch meant 36 other THP'ers were standing around the Tee Box watching. Most of these guys I had not met yet. I was nervous as hell, I'm not afraid to admit. JB and Hawk both put nice shots out in the fairway, I was hitting next. That made the pressure even worst. Somehow I manged to get the club on the ball and airborne!! Victory.

It ended up decently, about 225 to 230 yards in the left center of the fairway. When we looked at the balls, I saw I was about 3 yards ahead of Hawk. I said, well I outdrove Hawk, so if nothing else goes good that happened.

To which JB quickly replied, out-driving Hawk is setting the bar pretty low...LOL

But getting in the fairway in front of that many people, definitely helped calm my nerves the rest of the round.

Haven't been to an official THP event, but I'm looking forward to attending a few this year :D What I'll do is go through my pre-shot routine on the first tee. Concentrating on that instead of all the eyes on me teeing off.

I can remember when I first started to golf, one of the first times I had a bunch of guys watching me hit my drive on the first tee. It was a winter day and there was a frost delay so everyone was pretty much piled up on the first tee. Hit my drive and thankfully it went in the air. When it landed, the ground was so hard that it kept on going down the fairway. Almost made me look like I knew what I was doing :D

Really like shamble and best ball

You just play golf here, go in with the game plan to play how you normally play and then make adjustments as needed.

Ok some of you have yet to play in an offiicial THP Event. So here's the 1st hole at Royal New Kent, looking at this how would you play your tee shot, what club, what shape, fade draw, worm burner, stinger..etc.

Let's assume its the White Tees.

Me I'm probably hitting driver, with a bit of a fade, and if all goes well, I'll be to the right of that mound and hopefully far enough way from it that I will have a clear shot to the green. I'm guessing if I have my usual 220 drive, I'll have about 140 to 150 in for the 2nd shot.

hole1.jpg

I'd aim for the dogleg and have a slight draw into the fairway. Being a lefty, it should put me right at the bottom of the 75ft incline to the green.

Back