Heavier weight graphite shafts

mpeterson

Team THP for Life
Reaction score
Handicap
I've been having a bit of trouble with my wrist and elbows after practicing towards the end of the year, and was thinking of looking into graphite shafts. For those who have gone with a mid-weight graphite shaft (like a recoil 95/110), have you found these better on your joints than a lightweight steel, or do you lose some of those properties of graphite by going heavy?

Obviously going to try out in the shop, but I had a back in forth w/ Danny Le @ UST and he suggested the 110s for me.

I've been having a bit of trouble with my wrist and elbows after practicing towards the end of the year, and was thinking of looking into graphite shafts. For those who have gone with a mid-weight graphite shaft (like a recoil 95/110), have you found these better on your joints than a lightweight steel, or do you lose some of those properties of graphite by going heavy?

Obviously going to try out in the shop, but I had a back in forth w/ Danny Le @ UST and he suggested the 110s for me.

You keep the benefit of the graphite for almost all of them (I'm in the minority that I did not care for this aspect of the steelfibers) as its all about vibration dampening and graphite does that wonderfully. Benefit to the Recoils is they really do play like steel but with the dampening benefits of graphite. I'll also add, Danny wouldn't steer you wrong.

You keep the benefit of the graphite for almost all of them (I'm in the minority that I did not care for this aspect of the steelfibers) as its all about vibration dampening and graphite does that wonderfully. Benefit to the Recoils is they really do play like steel but with the dampening benefits of graphite. I'll also add, Danny wouldn't steer you wrong.

Thanks - that's really helpful. It's one of those things that you can't really test out in the shop, since it's more of a long-term thing. I know when I've swung the 110s in the past I've gotten a ball flight I've liked, but can't say much about wear and tear on joints after a few swings. At the same time, I haven't loved the feel of 80-ish gram shafts in shorter irons so the 110s could be a good middle ground with the recurring wrist injury I've had.

Listen to Danny, he knows his stuff. Just switched over to the Recoil 95s, and I can say after a couple of practice sessions they are definitely easier on my elbow.

I have been playing graphite iron shafts for 6+ years in mid weights, 100g+, and over that time my shoulder has been pain free. I hit a set of steel shafts indoors over the winter last year and after a couple weeks noticed that pain creeping back in. Switched back to graphite and all was well right away. Over the long term I have felt better than I ever did while playing steel. Recoils in the heavier weights are a great transition from steel and very, very good shafts.

Left wrist pain is exactly why I went graphite. Fit to ctaper hahaha. I tried recoil and steelfibers. I found my heaven in the program f15.

I briefly went from KBS Tour X (130 grams) to UST Recoil 125 F4's and felt like the Recoils where definitely smoother and less harsh on mis-hits than any steel shafts I've played before. So I think you'll find them to be less stressful on the joints.

Back