What Is Holding You Back?

Not making enough birdies when given the opportunity. I have plenty of opportunities each round and don’t convert as many as I’d like.

As of right now, it is my driving. Two months ago, I was in the 60s for % in the fairway. I am now in the 40s. Data don't lie.

I am losing an average of 3 shots off the tee with either an OB or unplayable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I played 27 holes Wednesday with a guy who is a 2 HCP. He hit 18 fairways out of 21. Something I need to work on. He also didn't waver in his pre shot routine, even when it started raining sideways with wind gusts. Something I also didn't do, I was rushing to get the final holes done and didn't play them as well I would have liked. He also doesn't hit shots, like a flop, that he doesn't have 100% confidence he can hit. I tried a flop that didn't flop, more like rocket. Playing with him made me realize the things I need to work on to improve, both mental and execution wise.

This is part of my issue as well. That and putting....

1.) Penalty strokes - I am averaging 1.14 penalty strokes per round for the 46 recorded rounds this year,
2.) 3Putts (or putting in general) I average 1.78 putts per hole and 1.94 putts per GIR.

The above results in the >1.5 lost shots per round (below shows more detail):
7.2% Double Bogies Per Round
3.1% "Others" per round.
this equates to 1 D.Bogie per round and 1 "Other" every other round.
Change those to bogies and and that reduces my score by > 1.5 shots per round.

Last three rounds played (scores in the high seventies):
79 with 3 D.Bogies and 1 penalty shot and 2 - 3Putts
78 with 1 D.Bogie and 2 - 3Putts
76 with 1 - "Other" and 1 - 3Putt

Age, 74, and shoulder & knee replacements, other shoulder & knee ortho repairs along with hip & shoulder turn restrictions. Otherwise it's all good. Lots of great playing memories in the 53 years iv'e played this great game though to look back on.

My bad back is holding me back. After this season, if I had a sound back, I'm 100% convinced that I could achieve scratch or even plus status.

When I can play often, my athletic ability does a good enough job of finding a way. I haven't practiced to any definable degree in over a decade yet I've managed to improve despite losing an aggregate total that now amounts to a couple of years over the last ten, to herniated discs.

If I could play unencumbered and practice some, reasonably, without fear of injury, I could be good.

I struggled this year to overcome an injury to my middle finger (right hand) that left me with a bunch of scar tissue around the middle knuckle. I can’t make a fist with that hand anymore since the middle finger won’t close.

Been trying to work around it all year and my grip isn’t really right anymore. I need to work thru it with an instructor and see what we can do to compensate for it.

As a result I’m not getting off the tee. Not hitting enough fairways and end up scrambling way too often. Short game is fine but I miss fairways, leave myself in a bad spot, miss the greens and have to fight for par.

At first blush I'd say FIR (39.9%) which when I drill down to GIR (22.0%) it tells me I blow off the tee. par 3 scoring 4.0/ par 4 scoring 5.2/ par 5 scoring 6.0. So my long winded answer is tee ball. I average 33.2 putts. Interesting stat is GIR putts 2.1 but non GIR putts 1.8 which tells me when I miss the green my short game is solid enough to get me closer to the hole.

Overall inconsistency through the bag is my problem now. The cause is probably my lack of practice/ playing time. Injuries(ankle,knee,back) are catching up to me and seem to take a toll if I over do it. I try to swing a club every day but rarely play or have an extended practice on back to back days.

My short game is rubbish.

Driving accuracy and mental fortitude.

I would say for me it is staying healthy. I cannot practice as much as I want to due to all the years of playing other sports tolls on my body. So frustrating sometimes.

How much time you got?

Getting off the teebox. Last couple of months I have found ways to screw up from the teebox. I would say 50% of the times it results in penalty shots. My iron play is decent enough and my short game is pretty solid. On average, I only 3 putt once a round during my last 11 rounds.

Proximity to hole. I'm older, not a long hitter, so GIR+1 is my goal. As I am usually within 20 yards on that +1 approach shot, I have to be more precise to make par. Been working on hitting it a little further the past two winters. Its getting closer

Age, 74, and shoulder & knee replacements, other shoulder & knee ortho repairs along with hip & shoulder turn restrictions. Otherwise it's all good. Lots of great playing memories in the 53 years iv'e played this great game though to look back on.

And still a single digit cap. You, sir, are my idol.

I struggled this year to overcome an injury to my middle finger (right hand) that left me with a bunch of scar tissue around the middle knuckle. I can’t make a fist with that hand anymore since the middle finger won’t close.

Been trying to work around it all year and my grip isn’t really right anymore. I need to work thru it with an instructor and see what we can do to compensate for it.

As a result I’m not getting off the tee. Not hitting enough fairways and end up scrambling way too often. Short game is fine but I miss fairways, leave myself in a bad spot, miss the greens and have to fight for par.

So, you're not really flipping me the bird? Good to know!

I know too much about swing theory and know too little about applying it to myself. I've shot under par this year with 3 different swings. None of which I stuck with. I need someone to fix my head so I can just go play golf and stop changing stuff.

I know too much about swing theory and know too little about applying it to myself. I've shot under par this year with 3 different swings. None of which I stuck with. I need someone to fix my head so I can just go play golf and stop changing stuff.

This is a truism for probably 90% of golfers world-wide. Well, take out the "under par" bit.

Putting for sure followed by a distant second tee game.

If I could drop my putting by a stroke or two it would revolutionize my golf game. Two putts a hole are great but I need to start converting more 6 to 8 footers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Green Regulations.
Hit a solid drive with short iron on hand. I seem to miss too many easy on green opportunities.
If it’s mid to long iron approach I don’t expect to hit the green so I play it that way. But 9 & PW I should be hitting the green but I don’t. It’s a mental thing. It drives me crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back