What Is Holding You Back?

I have long been a proponent of Arccos, and it has helped my game in a huge way. My tee game is still the biggest weakness, but it is also my number 1 focus of practice and improvement has been coming, slowly, but it is there.

Pretty much everything other than my tee game. Unfortunately it changes almost every round. Some rounds I hit my irons well, but putt badly, other rounds I putt well but approach play is terrible. Some days my short game is terrible. Really my only consistently good thing this year was my tee ball.

Lies! I have only seen you putt badly maybe twice EVER! :alien:

FIR and proximity to the hole.

Lies! I have only seen you putt badly maybe twice EVER! :alien:

Man that round at Cherry Creek was maybe the worst putting round of my life. I also putted quite poorly last weekend. Guess I still wouldn't say putting is generally holding me back. We'll go with iron play and short game then haha.

1. Wedges to green: Shot Scope for me has shown that my approach to the greens are the issue, not my putting. I have a lot of 3 putts, but that's because my ball lands on the edge or in the first fringe. So if I can increase the accuracy of my wedges, I can probably score better.

2. Distance: most women can't hit greens in regulation, and that's just plain ol' distance. My brilliant instructor helped me gain quite a bit of distance with my hybrids and irons, and man can I see a difference in score.

3. Money: had a driver fitting because I wanted to learn about flex and swing weights. Alas, the diver fitting showed that I leave 20-25 yards of distance with my current driver compared to the TM M4 she fit me to. That extra distance and increased accuracy would put me on the green WAY more often in regulation.

For me it starts and end with the tee box. On days when the driver is working, my scores are significantly better. This isn't to say I can't improve my irons, short game, or putting, but the biggest area where lost strokes happen is off the tee. OB, under trees which limit your approach options, a fairway over and not able to see the green. The tee game.

Time (not having enough to practice).

Short game - rarely getting up and down.

Approach shots - not hitting GIR and then failing to get up and down (see above).

Driving has been decent and putting had been good.

Off the Tee and ball control will help me tremendously. No matter what club i use i need to make sure i am playable. I am working hard on my game in general for more consistency.

The Accros looks pretty amazing do you think a newer player would benefit from all of that data or is it better to just work on the game with lessons?

My game inside 75 yards is bad, and I feel bad about it.

My putting specifically is bad. Three putts ruin my score.

Sadly, my lack of time really reduces my opportunities to practice.

Putting. Game Golf says I putt like a 25-handicapper. I miss too many under 5', don't hole enough in the 5-15' range, and need to practice more in the 20-30' range.

I think my approach shots are as big a problem, too. My iron play/ball-striking is too inconsistent and I don't hit enough GIRs to give myself additional birdie chances.

Last edited:
all the things

seriously, irons need to be strong for me to play the golf i feel i'm capable of. if my irons are off, forget it, it's over. and right now, my irons are off.

I don’t have stats to prove it but, as everyone at the Ship can attest, my non-bunker short game is what’s holding me back. I’ve had the chipping and pitching yips for about 5 years now. It’s not uncommon for me to need more than 1 stroke to just get onto the green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Game golf is my gadget of choice and as some other's have mentioned it's been eye opening to see where I'm leaking oil....

Irons- GIR- 31% for the year- bleh puke gross etc
Scrambling- 15% for the year- bleh puke gross etc
Putts per hole- 1.9- not terrible but not where I would have thought

Fairways- 50%- not great but a definite improvement over last year.

The data doesn't lie and I'm happy to have it show me where I need to focus.

So The Grint is my gadget of Choice - for the rounds used for my Handicap:

Irons- GIR- 37% Not Bad - Would like them in the 40's
Scrambling- 31% I'm happy with this. I take on the chance to scramble
Putts per hole- 1.9- not terrible but not where I would have thought (Same Here)
FIR - 38% with 41% to the right - This needs work

I need more time on the course. In the past year, I have only been a handful of times.

Off the Tee and ball control will help me tremendously. No matter what club i use i need to make sure i am playable. I am working hard on my game in general for more consistency.

The Accros looks pretty amazing do you think a newer player would benefit from all of that data or is it better to just work on the game with lessons?
I think both would be helpful---but lessons will certainly get you much farther, faster.

Arccos will break your game down into five categories and assign a handicap value to each.

So the best and worst facets of your game become readily apparent.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

In the past when I had Cobra connect it was Driving.

Now it is my putting and not converting the birdie tries.

A lot of it is lack of time (and weather has been stupid too). I haven't really practiced much.

Last few times I played it was definitely putting and driving. I need to improve both those. Have turned around my iron game a bit since the beginning of the year.

So many aspects of my game that are holding me back. I would have to say over all it is my driving that is my biggest hindrance. I actually hit a decent amount of fairways over all, but some of that is that I use an iron or a fairway wood on 6 or more holes during a typical round at my local course. Lately I have absolutely no swing when it comes to the driver. Even when I hit a fairway with it the drives are short and a lot of the time low runners. With that said, my approach shots leave a lot to be desired as well. I am a decent putter (I rarely 3 putt, at least at my home course) and I am pretty good from 100 - 60 yards in. I have a lot of work to do!!

Looking at stats my driving accuracy is 48% but many misses are just slight misses and haven't killed me too bad.

What I think has really been a killer for me is iron accuracy. I'm at 41% this year in GIR which combined with my short game going backwards has been a rough combination.

Money. Sounds stupid but that is where my holdup is. After that, it is a need for glasses, a proper fitting, and then just getting out there.

I don't have to track stats to know what is killing me - fairway woods and, to a slightly lesser degree, hybrids off the deck.

I don't have one thing that is consistently a problem. Rather, it seems to cycle between a few things.

Driving is usually good, to quite good. But about every 4th or 5th round I'll have some issues with getting myself into trouble. This morning, for example, I was smashing the driver, but tugging it a little left. And that meant tough lies in some cases, and penalty strokes in some others.

The most common issue is missing greens left with irons. I've played a cut forever, but if I get a little too out-to-in, and/or my club face closes a little, I miss long and left.

And in the last few rounds, 30-70 yard shots have been less accurate than I'd like.

Putting is solid, far more often than not.

I'm not tracking stats or anything so I guess I am not sure... but I would say putting and chipping are holding me back. I almost never get up and down and I miss way to many 4 foot putts and I 3-putt way more than I would care to admit. With all that said I have felt a little off on my driver as well. Just not enough fairways for my liking. However, I still feel this is a secondary issue to the chipping and putting.

What is holding you back? And are you sure?

A trip to next years Grandaddy??? And no, but I'd love to find out...

Has always been putting for me. Miss far too many chances from 6 feet and in. Far from hitting every fairway and green (they are quite narrow and small on my home course), but do a good job of recovery for the most part when missing either.

Back