THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

"The strength of the team is each individual member. The strength of each member is the team." --Phil Jackson

I wouldn't make a good politician.....I can stand up and have no fear of falling down from lack of backbone.
Yeah, but I would pay good money to see you go toe to toe with Trump. You would no doubt win the battle of words, and use about 10,000 less in doing so.

Plus that "look" thst many of us have seen from you would send him running from the stage.

I'm curious to know how much time I'll have to make my picks after THP makes its selections.

I'm curious to know how much time I'll have to make my picks after THP makes its selections.

Definitely.

Seriously though, instructions will come out on all of that very soon.

I'm really looking forward to this event! I love playing in team events, it seems to draw everyone together, working for a common goal.

Another question for the captains:

Your team is behind after the first round....how do you inspire your team for a comeback or is it important?

This brings me to a question for the captains that I have run into while coaching basketball and baseball. Aside from motivating the team, I also found it extremely important to take guys aside and try to inspire them on a personal level, as I realized early on that different people are motivated differently. Some guys need a word of encouragement, some respond to a kick in the a$$, and some, nothing needs to be said. Is this something you tend to agree with? Do you feel comfortable doing this?

For all of those hopefuls that have stepped up you "active" game. I've noticed and I like what I've seen.

This brings me to a question for the captains that I have run into while coaching basketball and baseball. Aside from motivating the team, I also found it extremely important to take guys aside and try to inspire them on a personal level, as I realized early on that different people are motivated differently. Some guys need a word of encouragement, some respond to a kick in the a$$, and some, nothing needs to be said. Is this something you tend to agree with? Do you feel comfortable doing this?

Absolutely! And honestly it's those interactions that I look forward to. It's leadership.

T2GRN18:

Have ever played in a team event?
I've only played in two man team events and very few of them. This will be a new experience for me if selected.

What makes you an asset to the entire team?

I'm all about doing what's best for the team. If the team needs me to sit out or go to the club house to get beers to rally the troops, then I'll do it. I’ll support every decision, cheer every great and not so great shot. In the end, I believe that we are all there to ultimately enjoy the game, the comradery and to have the DMV take home the trophy. I’m also planning to have my game peak by the time RR roles around regardless if selected or not.

What do you look for from a playing partner?

I’m looking for a golfing partner that can minimize my weaknesses as well as I to theirs. I’m also looking for someone that can have fun with the game but can turn on the intensity to focus on those important shots bring the trophy home to the DMV.

What do you have to offer a playing partner?

Positive support. I’ll help him out the best I can if, during the match his swing or mental game becomes out of focus. I’m going to do my best to help my golfer partner in any way, within the rules of the game of course, to help him help our team win.

What was your biggest accomplishment in 2015 with your game?

I’m sad to say, 2015 was a very down year for me. I only played a few times and practiced a handful of times this past year all due to the loss of my job a few years ago. I had to make the tough choice of giving up the game I love to a certain extent and focus on restarting my career. Having said that, my game is one where I need to practice to maintain my swing. A month off and I feel like I’m back to square one. So, I guess my biggest accomplishment is just getting out and keeping most of my scores under 100 (except for Bulle Rock, that course just killed me!)

What is your biggest strength in your game?

My biggest strength is my mid-short iron play is decent. I enjoy hitting the irons.

What do you do to maintain it.

When I’m the local driving range Nighthawk, I usually practice to the targets in the field to ensure I’m consistent in the shots I hit and picture. I use to go to the range almost every day, but having a family ended up digging into my practice and play time.

What is the biggest weakness in your game?

I’d have to say putting. I got the yips at one point and was missing 4” putts. While I don’t have the yips anymore, I still do not consider myself a good putter.

What is your plan to overcome it?

I started to address this by heading to Eisenhower GC, and practicing on their putting surface. The putting surface there allows me to practice long and short puts as well as breaking putt too. I usually spent an hour on putting out of the 2 hours I’d spend practicing. I looked at the state of my game and realized that the best way to drop my score was to not have as many 2 or 3 putts in the round. That and stop the occasional blow up hole.

How will you know you've been successful?

When I can confidently hit a drive, or wedge or putt without doubt entering my mind.

Do you prefer to practice or play?

I prefer to play about 70% of the time and practice the rest. Practice allows me to hone the shots I need on the course. Practice, especially on mats in our area, doesn’t give you the variables like an uneven lie, balls sitting down in the grass, the unpredictability that you may face on an actual course.

What is your handicap index?

From my last 20 scores, my index is currently at 16.5

What is your goal for handicap by Aug 1, 2016?

My goal is to get my index down to a solid 12. I think that is doable.

Lol, feel like a student cramming the night before an exam just catching up, LOL Add me to the list :D

~ Have ever played in a team event?

Yes, and my wife putts much better than I do. ;)

Funny how that works out! My wife doesn't give a hoot about the game (except for the drinking in the golf cart and socialization aspect), but she can ram a putt in from 15 ft. like there was nothing to it!

I think Hawk taught me a bunch in allowing the team to develop its own character. He also taught me personally that people respond best when they come face to face with self doubt.

If self doubt is a motivator, then I assure you that I am highly motivated.

Can't wait for the opportunity to get involved in this! Competitive team golf is more fun than almost anything!

I'm excited as well. Regardless if I am chosen or not, I'll be there in spirit (and in person - plan on driving down to at least meet everyone!)

Some of the best BBQ at Pierces along 64 in Williamsburg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ate there this past December when we went down to BG for the christmas lights. good eating is right!

Friday afternoon leaving DC you would not find me on 95 until I'm way past DC. Going to Va Beach area from where I live I always take rt 3/301 down through Waldorf and southern MD before getting on 95 or continue to 17

Yeah, I used to go down 3 too but the traffic lights have been so out of sync lately, that I just went the I-95 route when I went down to Williamsburg this past December...

Pick me up on the way through.... #StrategySessions

I think there's enough of us in Odenton that we can carpool it :D I do have an Odyssey that can fit 5 with all the golf bags inside or 8 if we stick the bags on the roof!

im with you on the sodas. At my job we access to unlimited fountain drinks and I've Beem taking full advantage. Last year when I lost 38 pounds after my surgery, a big part of it was going to just water with every meal. I've added back on 25 of those pounds with about 10 of it coming in the last month.

The holiday months are brutal. At a minimum, I seem to gain 5lbs over the holidays that I don't seem to lose. This year, as part of my goal plan to get my self back into golf fighting shape, I'm going to drop 30lbs at a minimum. Should help with torso rotation in my swing...

I'm excited as well. Regardless if I am chosen or not, I'll be there in spirit (and in person - plan on driving down to at least meet everyone!)

Like you, whether or not I have the good fortune to make the team, I want to be there to support our team. Let's make plans to travel there together. Who knows we might just be able to find a left handed golf course. We both know how rare they are.

I have shed about 10 lbs this Fall/Winter and can get into golf pant I haven't worn in a while. I was hoping my turn would improve to help with my over the top swing but I haven't seen any proof of that yet. If we win the battle I will celebrate with Mamas Fried chicken livers and gravy!

Never had that, but it sounds good!

That's awesome!

I'm out there pretty much every Wednesday. It still gets a bit chilly, but the heat does a decent job imo. They also have the best winter hours of the local ranges that I'm aware of.

Make sure you put down that plastic shield behind the hitting stall. It will block the wind if it's coming from your back. I'll have to meet you out there when you come back out that way.

Yep. :D
Funny how that works out! My wife doesn't give a hoot about the game (except for the drinking in the golf cart and socialization aspect), but she can ram a putt in from 15 ft. like there was nothing to it!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yes everyone gets motivated and brought to the next level differently. It is the captains/coaches job to identify with each person and help bring them to the next level

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

So let me ask you guys lets say the event comes to a close and you find out you win MVP? You are going to True Temper what is going through your mind? Any questions you may ask them when you get there?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

lightningbolt44:
Good question. I'd start off by first thanking them for this awesome opportunity in becoming the MVP. I would ask True Temper the following questions:
1. Which shaft, in True Temper's opinion, has been their best shaft for the average golfer and why ?
2. Are they thinking of incorporating exotics base materials in any future shafts like boron or 1020 or 1025 carbon steel to possibly enhance feel ?
3. What direction is True Temper heading in the R&D department ?
4. Which Pro Golfers has been their favorite to work with and why ?
5. What' has been the craziest shaft setup they have been asked to produce ?

Stranger People
DMV vs Carolinas?
What say you?

I haven't been that many rural areas in the Carolinas and the places I've been in the south, the southern hospitality sure seems to come through. For stranger people, I'd have to say the DMV, specifically in DC. Working in DC now, so taking the Metro and Marc trains, you see some strange people and even stranger behaviors. Just last week, a guy dressed in a suit and tie, suddenly, in a loud voice, breaks out in the Biblical wrath of God damnation stuff while waiting for the train. No one was within 15' of him and I really don't know who he was directing that towards. What was really scary was that I believe I saw a government ID on him so I'm hoping he doesn't totally lose it and come in one day making good on the wrath of god stuff.

Back