Showing improvements, but not so fast

luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
This is a two part question

1. Which aspect of your game showed the most improvement this year?

2. Which aspect of your game took a step back progress wise?

For me it's 1) Driver (tee shots) 2) short pitching game

1-irons 2-tee game

they both seem to alternate the hot/cold spots

My short game improved considerably. Iron play has been up and down.

1. chipping
2. everything else

I think my driving was probably the most consistent and cost me the least amount of strokes in my golfing history this year.

The sad part is my short game took a big step back. That's always been a strong point for me so it's pretty disappointing.

1. Wedges improved the most.

2. Putting. I had a few decent rounds early but averaged 38 and change putts a round. My best round of the year was an 84 with 37 putts.

1) Irons for the most par.
2) Driver, definitely the driver.

It depends on the day of the week.

Overall, I think my driving and putting has improved and my chipping/pitching has taken a step back.

My short game has improved quite a bit.

My irons have been so inconsistent while I am taking lessons. It's frustrating but I keep telling myself, it will all be worth it in the long run.

Most improved is definitely my driving - played 3 rounds with Andrew over the early part of this week in Scotland and he said it is getting boring watching me hit most of the fairways now :D

Taking a step backwards has been my short game, but that is due to a change in technique - short term pain though for a long term gain as it has got my strike a lot more consistent, I just need to trust it and continue to work on it and it will pass where it was previously

1. Hitting draws with fairway woods off the tee.
2. Wedges from 50-75 yards, especially from the rough.

Driver has gone backwards
Short game and putting way up

It seems interesting to me that people who are decent when it comes to the short game struggle somewhat with their driver, and that those who seem to do well with their driver are the ones who struggle with their short game. I know for myself that I use to have a decent short game but struggled with my tee shots. Now that I have improved tremendously with my driver and tee shots, my short game has since been the weak link in my game. When I had a decent short game, I use to tell myself, now if only I could get my driving game on track, I could start scoring better. Now that I have my driving game going well, I find I am now telling myself, if only I could get my short game back again I could score much better. It's awful.

Back