How Did You Know?

Antihero

Reaction score
Handicap
After playing for X amount of time/effort/energy and investing X on lessons or practice---At what point in time were you able to forecast your peak future potential (within reason)?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Still can't. If the wife made enough money to support us, I'd quit my job and play all the time. That would, most certainly, change that forecast. Far too many factors to be able to accurately forecast such a thing.

The only thing in my opinion that has a peak is speed. Otherwise potential for this game always exists.

I have consistently lowered my HC the last 4 years, so I am hoping I can keep it going. It is getting harder, but also more fun at the same time.

The only thing in my opinion that has a peak is speed. Otherwise potential for this game always exists.
For the sake of argument(I did not spell this out well in the OP)---Do you think it is possible to understand one's potential within a general range? Such as 0-5, 5-10, 10-15, etc.?

Personally, I feel that I'm likely to never get under 12 HC or so.

I'm basing this on what I feel is a realistic understanding my level of coordination and athleticism.

I think to a certain degree we can all look at someone's game and think "This guy is never getting below X."

I want to be wrong about this.

Do you think we have a somewhat knowable ceiling?

Or do we all have capabilities beyond our beliefs?

That's a great question but one I don't think there's really as good answer for. It kind of depends on your stage of life. 10 years ago before starting a family I played much more and thought I had the potential to get down to a 2 handicap. These days I think my potential would capped at 5 because I just don't have time to practice. I think for me it's more of that optimistic feeling of where I think I can get.

For the sake of argument(I did not spell this out well in the OP)---Do you think it is possible to understand one's potential within a general range? Such as 0-5, 5-10, 10-15, etc.?

Personally, I feel that I'm likely to never get under 12 HC or so.

I'm basing this on what I feel is a realistic understanding my level of coordination and athleticism.

I think to a certain degree we can all look at someone's game and think "This guy is never getting below X."

I want to be wrong about this.

Do you think we have a somewhat knowable ceiling?

Or do we all have capabilities beyond our beliefs?

No I dont. I watched a player in my father's neighborhood take up the game at the age of 60, play a pretty darn tough course for each round and now he is a 7. Pretty unathletic guy that just worked on his game and especially his short game.

I think people have ceilings to an extent, but even speed can be overcome by playing the appropriate tees.

Like most things in life, I think it depends on what goes into it.

I never thought I would be where I am now...so whatever follows is gravy.

I miss so many chips and putts that I assume my potential is pretty much limitless.

In 2016, I would've thought that I'd already peaked. I was very consistently in the 4-6 range for 5 or 6 years already. Due to a bad back and lack of practice, I was actually very content with that.

Then late '16 into '17 I discovered a fix for my penchant to forever contact irons off the sweet-spot, more toward the toe. Pured irons feel great, who knew?! Then I got the Epic driver.

Suddenly my index dipped into the threes and I believe it was at 3.5 when I hurt my back very badly, the worst herniation that I'd suffered to date. Thought that was it, maybe for playing altogether, certainly at the recent and previous levels that I was accustomed to.

Came back this year, eased my way and suddenly the game started to click by June. Beat my PB by 5 strokes and then beat that previous PB four or five more times on the way to a PB low index of 1.5.

Just hurt my back yet again, nearly 3 weeks ago, index at 2.3. Another herniation, not as bad as the last. Where negativity would usually bubble to the surface, now I just don't know.

Maybe my best is still yet to come. Or surgery, that too maybe. Anyone's guess what may come first.

If I can consistently shoot in the low to mid 90s I will be happy. Anything better will just be a bonus for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I realized I had peaked when I started playing college golf and realized that great putters were born and not made. I didn’t get the “make 50+ feet of putts every round” gene that so many of my competitors did.

Given my limited understanding of all aspects of the game and my inexperience, I do believe I have it in me to get down to single digits. I do not believe I have it in me to become a scratch player, however. I base this on shots I know I can hit, it would just be a case of hitting them the vast majority of the time, which is where practice comes in.

I have made great strides this year. I believe I can reach my goal within 2 more years.

As I’ve improved over the past few years, my handicap goal keeps shifting lower. I thought I’d be satisfied shooting consistently in the 80s, but now I know I can get to the 70s with continued practice and effort. I’m not sure what my peak is because I’ll always be striving to do better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ethan, as someone who has played more rounds with you in the last couple of months than any other THPer I would definitely say you will get below a 12, you have the length and desire you just need the confidence to trust your game.

You are very athletic and imo just need that spark of a low round to trip the switch and get your confidence up to just let go and play.

I'm at a 12.5 and pretty content there. There are rounds where I feel I could get down to just under 10 but only being able to play 2-3 times a month, balancing family, kids, life...I feel this is as good as it gets and I couldn't be happier. I found that if I focus too much on that number, my enjoyment of playing ticks down a bit. Golf becomes more of a means to that end and these days, I'm just happy to be out there enjoying the game.

I'm at a 12.5 and pretty content there. There are rounds where I feel I could get down to just under 10 but only being able to play 2-3 times a month, balancing family, kids, life...I feel this is as good as it gets and I couldn't be happier. I found that if I focus too much on that number, my enjoyment of playing ticks down a bit. Golf becomes more of a means to that end and these days, I'm just happy to be out there enjoying the game.
I'm currently a 20 and some change and I am similarly content.

But I am taking lessons and still hope to improve.

I do find that less focus on the score imcreases the enjoyment factor tremendously.

I have only been playing about 19 months or so---and feel I've made some decent progress.

I'd just like to have an idea what my ceiling looks like.

Pretty much this.

Posted on Tapatalk via my Motorola RAZR

Ah, yeah. I missed that above. So true. And since that's the case, it's downhill from here!

Last edited:
I’ve seen a guy that wasn’t athletic and hadn’t really golf before go from around a 28 to a 6 handicap after a few years. He had plenty of time for lessons, practice and playing.

After playing for X amount of time/effort/energy and investing X on lessons or practice---At what point in time were you able to forecast your peak future potential (within reason)?

My first whiff.

I'm currently a 20 and some change and I am similarly content.

But I am taking lessons and still hope to improve.

I do find that less focus on the score imcreases the enjoyment factor tremendously.

I have only been playing about 19 months or so---and feel I've made some decent progress.

I'd just like to have an idea what my ceiling looks like.

Only 19 months and realizing your level of play is really pretty sensational. Stay patient and confident in the process and you'll get exactly where you want to be. This game provides such a cool ride, enjoy it.

Back