Wilson Staff DUO Urethane Golf Balls Review Thread

Thanks. Let me know when you want to try some out - gives us a reason to get another round in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will do. Waiting for Mother Nature to cooperate with my desire to play golf

I played a full round with my duo u yesterday and good lord do I love this ball. Soft, long, and spins really well. I didn't lose any the entire round (although one got retired due to a mean cart path). Glad I bought a lot - these are my new gamers.

Same exact experience here, three holes in and I was in love with the ball.

When I tested them last year with Duffy, the numbers were ridiculous between the 3 in this duo family. I could feel the difference with the urethane cover. Just didn't know it was a duo at the time.

I wonder if it was wise to put it under the Duo banner at that price point. IME it's worth it MSRP but others may get cold feet when it's priced at the same level as others' "tour" balls, regardless of how well it performs.

I wonder if it was wise to put it under the Duo banner at that price point. IME it's worth it MSRP but others may get cold feet when it's priced at the same level as others' "tour" balls, regardless of how well it performs.

Imo building off a name that already has a lot of recognition was the way to go with this one. It'll always be a double edged sword for these companies though.

Imo building off a name that already has a lot of recognition was the way to go with this one. It'll always be a double edges sword for these companies though.

Fair. The consumer is a fickle beast and it's hard to tell what it will respond to best.

I've been on the practice green putting with these for the past few days. It's been 55-63 degrees here in Miami so on the cooler side for sure. For me these have a nice solid feel to them off the face. I'm putting with the CURE CX1 classic And while not the softest feeling putter around. I still get a nice click on the ball. For being a CURE and not know for "soft" off the face, with this ball when struck dead center on the face there's a notable difference in sound and feel not just at the putter but on the ball as well. Can't wait to get this on some wedges to check green sides spin

OK so I played my first nine holes with this ball today. Initial thoughts..

1. Yes
2. Awesome
3. More Yes
4. Personal Best 39 for 9 holes
5. Instant new gamer

Ok but seriously this ball was real good today. I'll post some serious thoughts shortly

OK so I played my first nine holes with this ball today. Initial thoughts..

1. Yes
2. Awesome
3. More Yes
4. Personal Best 39 for 9 holes
5. Instant new gamer

Ok but seriously this ball was real good today. I'll post some serious thoughts shortly

Sounds like you liked it. :)

It was just released in Canada at $44.95 per dozen. A direct competitor to the Chrome Soft and NXT Tour.

Ok now to the serious thoughts...

I only games this ball for nine holes. So thoughts are limited but I'll share..

To me this ball is a better version of the Duo line. I have gamed both the regular Duo and the Duo Spin and much preferred the regular duo. I never saw the performance benefit of the Duo Spin over the regular Duo. This Urethane ball feels like a firmer version of the Duo. I could actually feel the ball compress and spring off the face. It could also be the new King Firged Tec irons that were also in play for the first time but I was feeling a nice pop off clubs. No "mush" feeling to this ball for me at my swing speed whatsoever. That "mush" soft feeling did come into play for me with the other lines. More-so on the Duo Spin. This one also has less "spin" off the driver based on visual alone.

To me this is everything I wanted the Duo spin to be. Great feeling off clubs, although slightly firmer, and great control greenside.

Again this was based off 9 holes but greenside control was great. Very predictable and I was able to adjust rather quickly. Didn't get anything to Zip back but had Plenty of hop and stops. And reading through the reviews of the new chrome soft, I'm seeing what those guys are seeing with this Duo Urethane.

Too top it all off and make the round special I shot a PB 39 with this first outing. (New irons helped too)

Here's a pic of the Par 4 11th. TomTom watch had the back pin at 154 . Hit a 9iron on the 2nd shot about 13ft past the hole and didn't roll off..

e55b641a247596f675439b6e83175636.jpg

Par 3 16th. Front pin was 138. PW to 8ft past the pin and stopped. Tee is marking the landing spot.

4d6a905a1a6a9d5f0eb0867278bf3a18.jpg

Wish I would've picked more up at that crazy deal on GlobalGolf. Didn't loose any today so that's a good sign.

Ok now to the serious thoughts...

I only games this ball for nine holes. So thoughts are limited but I'll share..

To me this ball is a better version of the Duo line. I have gamed both the regular Duo and the Duo Spin and much preferred the regular duo. I never saw the performance benefit of the Duo Spin over the regular Duo. This Urethane ball feels like a firmer version of the Duo. I could actually feel the ball compress and spring off the face. It could also be the new King Firged Tec irons that were also in play for the first time but I was feeling a nice pop off clubs. No "mush" feeling to this ball for me at my swing speed whatsoever. That "mush" soft feeling did come into play for me with the other lines. More-so on the Duo Spin. This one also has less "spin" off the driver based on visual alone.

To me this is everything I wanted the Duo spin to be. Great feeling off clubs, although slightly firmer, and great control greenside.

Again this was based off 9 holes but greenside control was great. Very predictable and I was able to adjust rather quickly. Didn't get anything to Zip back but had Plenty of hop and stops. And reading through the reviews of the new chrome soft, I'm seeing what those guys are seeing with this Duo Urethane.

Too top it all off and make the round special I shot a PB 39 with this first outing. (New irons helped too)

Here's a pic of the Par 4 11th. TomTom watch had the back pin at 154 . Hit a 9iron on the 2nd shot about 13ft past the hole and didn't roll off..

e55b641a247596f675439b6e83175636.jpg

Par 3 16th. Front pin was 138. PW to 8ft past the pin and stopped. Tee is marking the landing spot.

4d6a905a1a6a9d5f0eb0867278bf3a18.jpg

Wish I would've picked more up at that crazy deal on GlobalGolf. Didn't loose any today so that's a good sign.
Sounds like a gamer can't wait to give them a try

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Tried grabbing a video of sound but iPhone camera doesn't do a great job per say. But the FLyZ+ and this ball produced an addicting sound combo

https://vimeo.com/152586576

Still have a couple sleeves left of this ball from #StaffProto. I may have to dedicate myself to a round playing just this ball and get a more thorough review up.

Great initial thoughts Xavier and congrats on the PB 9

Has anyone that had to go the personalized route received their balls yet?

Tried grabbing a video of sound but iPhone camera doesn't do a great job per say. But the FLyZ+ and this ball produced an addicting sound combo

https://vimeo.com/152586576
That sounded good. Can't wait to get down there in a couple days and try these out for myself.

Wilson Staff DUO Urethane Golf Balls Review Thread

That sounded good. Can't wait to get down there in a couple days and try these out for myself.

I'll have a sleeve waiting for you

Last edited:
Has anyone that had to go the personalized route received their balls yet?

No worries. They just got here.

Yes.

DSC_0011-XL.jpg

Very cool.

Very cool.

I had to personalize to get the price, so I figured the choice was a no brainer when I saw the color of the green!

Back