What would you call a hole in one on a par 5?

A miracle

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

As others have said, it's a Condor.

Oddly, there's a name for 5 under par, "Ostrich"

Presumably that's a hole-in-one on a par 6, or holing your 2nd shot on a par 7.

In any case, either of those would need some divine, or at least animal intervention. The only way I could see it happening is if you teed off, some critter picked up your ball, and happened to drop it in the hole. That would be a legal hole-in-one without you having to somehow drive it 500+ yards and hit the pin.

Hey Dave, could you show me the reference to where the 5 under would be called an Ostrich?

It's an ACE in my book!!!

There is a par 5 on the course that I grew up on that was a pretty decent dog leg left. Card say it's about 425 yards.

Yellow line is about 390 yard to the front edge of the green.

With a solid drive over the tree on the left corner, you'd have nothing more than a 9 iron into the green at most! The ball usually runs a lot on this fairway and funnels towards the green. I'VE never driven the green, but I've gone driver putter from just short of the green in the fringe.

Here is a picture of it cut from Google Earth....

It's OB up the entire left side until right before the green.

This hole plays downwind almost all Spring and Summer. The fairways are usually pretty firm, and about 20 yards in front of the green the slope runs your ball onto the green. The SMART play is a club you hit around 210 to 225 off the tee on the flight of the first red line, so you don't go through the fairway. That should leave you around 190 into the green, but you play is more like 180 from there as it's hard to hold the green and you want it to roll on.

Hey Dave, could you show me the reference to where the 5 under would be called an Ostrich?
No, all the references I can find are on sites where the link here would just be removed.

You can Google for it.

There is a par 5 on the course that I grew up on that was a pretty decent dog leg left. Card say it's about 425 yards.

With a solid drive over the tree on the left corner, you'd have nothing more than a 9 iron into the green at most! The ball usually runs a lot on this fairway and funnels towards the green. I'VE never driven the green, but I've gone driver putter from just short of the green in the fringe.

This hole plays downwind almost all Spring and Summer. The fairways are usually pretty firm, and about 20 yards in front of the green the slope runs your ball onto the green. The SMART play is a club you hit around 210 to 225 off the tee on the flight of the first red line, so you don't go through the fairway. That should leave you around 190 into the green, but you play is more like 180 from there as it's hard to hold the green and you want it to roll on.

This may not be well received, but 425 yards is not a par 5 in my book, except maybe from the forward (junior or senior) tee. My home course has 3 par 4 holes that long or longer, and one other one that is 417. This from the blue tees (the regular men's tee). The shortest par 5 is 484, and none has a dogleg that can be cut to significantly shorten it. Even from the senior tee the shortest par 5 is 454.

Double Albatross

Thats pretty cool. Im just curious why they would have OB to left when its just part of the course, i mean just a couple of other holes that you can play from. Maybe im dumb but just seams weird to me.

That style of course should only be OB on property lines, and for someone that can drive that over the trees that far out, good for you.

There is a course I play that has two incredibly short par 5's. One of the par 5's is a 90 degree dogleg. From tee to green on a straight line it is 340 to the center of the green. On that line you have to carry a pond, creek, and green side bunker that protects the right side and front of the green. The carry to clear all the trouble is 315, to clear the water it is 290. For the heck of it I have tried several times over the years to knock in on the green. I have come close a few times but never actually made the putting surface.

While it is highly improbable and more than likely impossible. There are some goofy golf holes ought there that could make acing a par 5 possible.

A bad design.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thats pretty cool. Im just curious why they would have OB to left when its just part of the course, i mean just a couple of other holes that you can play from. Maybe im dumb but just seams weird to me.

It's a way to utilize a specific piece of property that may be less than ideal shape/size wise for a golf course. The idea is that you don't try to cut the corner because if you do and have a mis-hit you could very easily hit golfers on three separate greens, a tee box, or the space in between them.

There is a very similar hole on a course near where I live. The right and lower areas are boundary lines for the property and somewhat forced the layout. There are white posts along the left side of the hole for an OB line.

B911E1CD-7550-4D39-BCE5-6F6173D41D1A.png_zps3fotxwux.jpeg

This may not be well received, but 425 yards is not a par 5 in my book, except maybe from the forward (junior or senior) tee. My home course has 3 par 4 holes that long or longer, and one other one that is 417. This from the blue tees (the regular men's tee). The shortest par 5 is 484, and none has a dogleg that can be cut to significantly shorten it. Even from the senior tee the shortest par 5 is 454.

I agree, however due to location and land (as this is), sometimes you have no choice. The longest Par 5 on that course is 466 from the blue tees on #2.

Story goes is that everyone was cutting the corner to make the hole shorter, so they made an internal (left) OB on that hole only. Plus the green you see at the corner is #6's. So, it also helps keep people from crossing paths on shots.

on another note , I find it very amusing how many people run to only play the enormous jackpots and yet when its like 4 or 5 million its only chump change and they don't bother.
Kind of ridiculous if ya think about it. No?

My thought is that the odds aren't worth wasting $5-$10 a week on, but I'll drop $10 once every couple of years when it's big. It's almost a certainty that I'll never win using either approach, so I might as well save my bucks.

The Dodo because you just never see them.

I'd call it an Ace.

I'd start giving them hurricane names because that's how much wind I'd need behind me.

We have a 500 yard, downhill par 5. I've seen guys within 25-50 yards of it, so wouldn't be shocked for it to happen elsewhere.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

There is a 450 yarder that dog legs right around a lake. It might play just over 300 on the fly. I've hit the green twice when playing down wind. Never gotten it close to the pin, but could see it happening there.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

0vrSKC6l.jpg

I agree, however due to location and land (as this is), sometimes you have no choice. The longest Par 5 on that course is 466 from the blue tees on #2.

I would have to agree with "fourputt". I can understand a given layout to cause a short par5 but Imo the hole you reference should just be a more (even if very) difficult par4. I just don't see this one a 5. Perhaps even another 25 yards might justify it. Or perhaps if it were a double leg zigzagger to better justify it via the layout logic. But of course it is what it is and is what someone decided.

I would have to assume they did it for two reasons. One being if its a 4 than they must figure too many would try to cross over the other holes (and is a bit dangerous and also why that is oob) and then of course that whole process of mishits landing wherever on those other holes would cause big pace delays. And so they make it a 5 hoping most will just play 3 simpler shots to the green and avoid the issues. But as said imo even with oob left it could still be a 4. A difficult one...... but still a 4.

To be honest this looks like one those situations where they squeezed a golf course in where it didn't really belong. I'd just assume for all practical reasons they could have lengthened one or even two of those other holes into this par5 and then cut this (kind of dumb) hole that they call a par5 into an extra par3 instead. But then that would mean losing a couple strokes on the par rating of the course which then makes it less prestigious so instead they do something kind of dumb like they have.

Divine intervention

A miracle and have to see it to believe it.

Back