TaylorMade GAPR MID - THP Review Thread

Molten

Man Down
Reaction score
Handicap
Ready to have some fun?! In for review is the TaylorMade GAPR MID. TaylorMade sent the "3" GAPR at 18 degrees, although as the name indicates, it has a Loft Sleeve that allows +/- 1.5 degree adjustments to perfectly gap in your bag. According to TaylorMade, the GAPR MID is has (1) an ultra-low CG for extreme distance with a mid-high trajectory, (2) an iron-inspired face profile to inspire confidence, and (3) a medium-wide sole for ease of play and versatility

More features of the GAPR MID from TaylorMade:

SPEEDFOAM - Each GAPR club benefits from TaylorMade's revolutionary SpeedFoam technology, which has been injected into each clubhead to enhance ballspeed and feel—delivering performance unlike any other utility club.

ADJUSTABILITY - Our easily adjustable Loft Sleeve provides even more options to tweak the loft, lie, and trajectory to find your perfect GAPR distance. Use the Loft Sleeve to dial in your yardage and/or make subtle adjustments as your swing evolves.

FORGIVENESS - Speed Pocket technology in each GAPR model produces hotter launch conditions for enhanced distance, forgiveness, and playability on low-face strikes.

In-hand Photos:

c29b027d5331f49a83fb0a91aebe3b09.jpg
da570874d6f178102415d5e6be23c2d0.jpg
e586ef7575f56f5764f7b211fcd6c7db.jpg
94d5f1f323f8e28f0a1b97e99b2e9400.jpg
11403b5a264b021a55cb39a6d97103e0.jpg
530e884f0663422d496ac02b84fe47f9.jpg
597f0a477f34e88fc0b8cf295c88f71b.jpg
4ca189cdd96419b69dd6596e1fe62a26.jpg

I don't think I would look at the 'LO' but the 'MID' and 'HI' options could be something I would consider

Do you have a picture of the club at address (with or without a ball is fine) along the lines of the one in the thread that @Canadan has for his?

Candidly, this is a club I have had a long time ponder on and I'm excited to get this out on the course and on the launch monitor to see what it can do. I've had the 790 UDI in my bag for several months so I'll be sure to give it a solid comparison, as well as against my current traditional hybrid.

If you have an interest in the GAPR MID, let me know what information and data you want to see. I plan to kick the tires on this club hard - in fact it will be going into my bag for a tournament today.

Also, shout out to @Canadan for pulling the GAPR features into one place for me to gratuitously post. Make sure to check out the GAPR LO review thread here: https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php/110451-TaylorMade-GAPR-LO-THP-Review-Thread

I don't think I would look at the 'LO' but the 'MID' and 'HI' options could be something I would consider

Do you have a picture of the club at address (with or without a ball is fine) along the lines of the one in the thread that @Canadan has for his?

In short order I will. I'm headed to get some initial impressions on the launch monitor very shortly (within the hour).

It is super refreshing to see a hybrid option that doesn't have the high toe design.

I think I'd prefer it if the adapter had the actual lofts instead of standard, etc., but I imagine that's a cost cutting measure.

Not a fan of the headcover at all but that's easily fixable.

In short order I will. I'm headed to get some initial impressions on the launch monitor very shortly (within the hour).

Thanks, from your initial pics it looks almost Ping Crossover size to me? I could be wrong but that is the impression I get

I'm really curious to hear about how that alignment aid looks/feels at address, I almost wonder if it would be too distracting.

It is super refreshing to see a hybrid option that doesn't have the high toe design.

I think I'd prefer it if the adapter had the actual lofts instead of standard, etc., but I imagine that's a cost cutting measure.

Not a fan of the headcover at all but that's easily fixable.

Yeah the headcover is meh, I have a seamus on my high and love it now. Really excited to hear the thoughts on the mid, it is something I am interested in at the 4 spot or possibly the high there.

Some more shots from the practice area (not great lighting in there) and in sunlight.

f3239b45d5e3b3042474272b0e4941b2.jpg

08338d01188a959f7816cbaa6eb3b96a.jpg
1b7cdb0da33de9137da10df2db3d9783.jpg
d083fdeabee1974d6ffb7ef09b80d2c5.jpg

Good stuff Molten. The comparison to the G400 Crossover shape wise is somewhat appropriate. This look pretty healthy heel to toe. How’s she sound is my first question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah the headcover is meh, I have a seamus on my high and love it now. Really excited to hear the thoughts on the mid, it is something I am interested in at the 4 spot or possibly the high there.

I don't use the headcovers on mine at all, don't care for them.

Good stuff Molten. The comparison to the G400 Crossover shape wise is somewhat appropriate. This look pretty healthy heel to toe. How’s she sound is my first question.

So far the sound hasn’t been an issue for me - it’s a bit muted as expected with the speedfoam. It sounds similar to the P790s if you have experience with them.

I’ll pay more attention to the sound in the coming week or two - I’ve been focused on the performance today. And boy is there performance.

That’s good to read Molten! My one negative with the G400 is the sound. I have hit some good shots with it, especially out of the rough which is where I feel it shines. So that’s question #2 haha. No rush, but whenever there’s a chance.

Great updates so far.

Overall profile specifically speaking I think the mid gets the best look.

Can’t wait to read your extended thoughts, Gary.

Thanks and I don’t disagree there! Really, really confidence inspiring head that hides its bulk surprisingly well. Between the dark color and curved portion from the thickest portion to the top line, it has a real nice look.

It also helps that it’s long, although I need some time to sit down and type up some impressions after the first two rounds. Should be tomorrow afternoon!

I’ve had one launch monitor session, a scramble tournament, and a really windy round over the past three days and I’ve got some way too early thoughts. Let me know what you want to know and any questions you have.

Shape, sound, and feel:

I love the shape - it’s got some substantial heft but it hides it well between the black color and the contours. The sound has been similar to the P790 so I’ll change irons around to try to get a better feel for this with more comparisons. I certainly don’t mind the sound. It has more of an iron look than a hybrid look to me but it is easier to hit than a long iron.

Off the tee:

The GAPR Mid could be a real weapon off the tee if you want it to be one. I took the UDI out of the bag to put in the GAPR and the GAPR is longer by a healthy amount - about 10 yards carry when adjusted to the same loft over an average of shots. The best strikes were similar but the GAPR was more forgiving, which gave longer carries on average.

It really changes the club selection off the tee when you have a forgiving club like this that can really put it out there in the fairway regularly. The MID also seems to want to go straight, although slightly exaggerated paths can curve the ball a bit.

From the fairway:

Admittedly I need more time on this one. I found the carry off the turf to be slightly less than off the tee, although exactly where I want a 3 hybrid to carry. The flight has been slightly lower than my traditional hybrid, although only by 3 yards off peak.

This morning, a long par 5 into the wind gave the MID a real test. It turned out to be 3 GAPR MID shots in a row and I loved how versatile it could be. First was a gentle high-draw into the fairway - second was a high cut around a tree that overhangs the right side of the fairway - third was a low near-hook that just missed the green. Each shape and flight was intentional and it was awesome to see it flat out perform.

From the rough:

TBD - it was very windy today (30+ mph gusts) and keeping the ball down was important. I was able to get some really low launching shots out of the rough today, which was really useful. The club head cut through the rough without too much issue, although I need to test more. Thankfully the MID wasn’t used from the rough in the scramble format.

On the launch monitor I’ve seen some impressive ball speeds (131 average), low-ish launch (15 degree average), enough spin to keep the ball in the air (3014 average).

Little Monday night football bump. Anyone have any questions or things for me to focus in on?

Are you able to compare with similarly-lofted hybrids?

Would you say the GAPR Mid 3 is like a long-shafted 2 iron replacement or more like a low-loft/launching 3 hybrid?

Are you able to compare with similarly-lofted hybrids?

Would you say the GAPR Mid 3 is like a long-shafted 2 iron replacement or more like a low-loft/launching 3 hybrid?

You better believe it! I’m trying to acquire another hybrid or two for that comparison but at the very least it will be against my current 3 hybrid.

Want to launch it low, check. Want to launch it higher, check. These were with the same setup and without a tee. And for those of you not familiar with my speeds, I have a 100-102 driver swing speed.

f593f62526da5622bf530e4f4a73ac12.jpg

1eab62930b103bcbc8d7506f15c6a26a.jpg

Now I’m curious what the difference would look like between the lowest loft adjustment and the highest.

Nice stuff Molten. My brother has been pondering one of these and I'm pointing him to all of you reviewers threads for this info. It's such a unique club that seems really versatile.

Gary, I love the incorporation of numbers. That's a big help.

It's intriguing to see same distances despite different launch profiles. Also, how are you feeling about the backspin? Do you feel like there's enough there for you?

Gary, I love the incorporation of numbers. That's a big help.

It's intriguing to see same distances despite different launch profiles. Also, how are you feeling about the backspin? Do you feel like there's enough there for you?

Probably not on the super low launching shots to maximize carry distance but they roll for days that way. But a 2700+ 3 iron/hybrid is fine my standards for my normal, high launching swing

Proof of concept - way different ball speed but essentially the same carry. I love the versatility though.

Want to launch it low, check. Want to launch it higher, check. These were with the same setup and without a tee. And for those of you not familiar with my speeds, I have a 100-102 driver swing speed.

f593f62526da5622bf530e4f4a73ac12.jpg

1eab62930b103bcbc8d7506f15c6a26a.jpg

Now I’m curious what the difference would look like between the lowest loft adjustment and the highest.

Did you achieve these numbers with the same setting on your GAPR MID just by varying ball position and modifying your swing/follow through to hit one high and one low?

Did you achieve these numbers with the same setting on your GAPR MID just by varying ball position and modifying your swing/follow through to hit one high and one low?

Those were the same setting on the club. The only difference was my swing setup and grip to try to launch lower or higher.

Back