Reef Donkey

Reaction score
Handicap
Micheladas
[FONT=&quot]Hey all! Before getting into the possible solutions for my problem here's what I'm currently dealing with:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Driver Swing Speed: 95-97 mph[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7-iron Swing Speed: 81-83 mph[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Moderate Swing Tempo[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Primary Shot Miss (right) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'm left handed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All of my irons are equipped with True Temper DG S300's. Now, these shafts were fitted for me when I had a 105+ mph swing. Even then I don't think they were the right shafts for me. I can't get the ball up in the air with the 4-5 irons. The kickpoint on these clubs are really high, and I don't have the swing speed to get the optimal performance out of this shaft.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The 4 carries about 175, and the 5 carries about 170, while my 6 carries about 165 (the loft on my 6 is 32*).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]To add more to it, these shafts are heavy to me. I'm thinking of making a purchase to some new technology and getting rid of my blades. Currently looking at gaming 5-PW on the 919 Hotmetal or the 919 Forged. Both will be miles more forgiving than the 20 year old KZG's that I'm playing now. But with my swing speed being where it is, and knowing that I am looking for a lighter weight shaft, can y'all recommend some shafts?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'm looking for more height on all my irons, but definitely need them on my 4 and 5. Currently my 6-SW are seem to be high enough, however, I don't know if I'm missing out on distance with those as well. The 4 and 5 need to be significantly higher than they currently are. It seems they don't get more than maybe 60-70 feet off the ground, and I'm thinking they need to be to at least 90' in height. [/FONT]

UST Recoils. Go to the site and use the shaft fit and it will give you a good recommendation. Then try and find some place to hit those with the heads you want.

I am a huge fan of the Nippon 105s.

UST Recoils. Go to the site and use the shaft fit and it will give you a good recommendation. Then try and find some place to hit those with the heads you want.

Agreed, love my recoils!

If you’re getting Mizuno’s, why not try their Optimizer and get recommendations for shafts, try them out to confirm they do what you want and get the shafts without any upcharge. You can also get heavier or lighter shaft recommendations from the Mizuno Optimizer.

Have you thought about getting fitted again? If so, I'd ask them to try out what others are saying above. I'll throw my hat in the ring for the Recoils. I game the 110 F4 protos which I absolutely love. I found that the mostly stock F4 780s in stiff too light for me but it might work well for you. That said, I think Mizuno now offers the F3 and F4 protos (95g) as no charge upgrades.

Get fit.

Even then be sure during your fitting you are playing your game. Mizuno has a pretty cool fitting tool.

If you are going the self fit route or just looking to order online, I would ask what you are looking for. If you like the dg profile there is dg 120 and 105 that are fairly similar at a lighter weight. Modus 105 is kinda in between them. If you want something with a lot of feel Modus 120 has a pretty cool kick to it. If you want to go really lightweight with graphite, be sure to give them a few swings since they feel really different from even lighter weight steel.

If you’re getting Mizuno’s, why not try their Optimizer and get recommendations for shafts, try them out to confirm they do what you want and get the shafts without any upcharge. You can also get heavier or lighter shaft recommendations from the Mizuno Optimizer.

... I will second this suggestion. I was writing a review for Mizuno and they wanted me to go thru a fitting, even though I knew my specs. So the local rep put me thru the paces culminating with the Optimizer. I was playing MP63's with KBS tours in stiff flex that were 1/4" long and soft stepped once. I was being fit for MP59's and with no exaggeration the Optimizer gave me those exact same specs as the first recommendation. I soft stepped because I never liked playing a pw shaft in my 9 iron not so much for the slightly softer performance and I was a little shocked when the Optimizer recommended the exact specs I was playing. 3 swings and it absolutely has your swing DNA down.

Worked well enough for Eddie Pepperall.

How do I go about the whole "shaft optimizer" deal? Is this something the fitter will have? I do plan on getting fit for them.

How do I go about the whole "shaft optimizer" deal? Is this something the fitter will have? I do plan on getting fit for them.

If they are mizuno authorized fitter with the mizuno fitting cart, it will be apart of the cart. Only problem I've seen with the system in the past is some of the units are a little damaged.

The PGASS in Southlake and most locations of Golf Galaxy should have the Optimizer. I would think that Leonard Golf in Ft. worth will have it too.

Back