Are golf schools worth the time and money?

Parrot

Down to the banana republics . . .
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A buddy is trying to get together a few folks to go. He hasn't mentioned a specific school or teacher.

My initial thought is to pass. The group instruction thing strikes me as odd. I'm not sure how much quality instruction you really get. If I'm going to drop that kind of coin on golf instruction, it seems like I'd get more out of individual lessons (assuming a good teacher). Even then, I don't think that I'd drop north $2,500 plus (wild guess on the school's cost plus transportation) on lessons over the course of a year.

Thoughts? Recommendations? Warnings?

In my opinion, no. You can book 25 individual lessons with a PGA instuctor for 2500.00 or less.

I would love to attend Martin Chucks school....but damn it I just cant justify it

Personally I would say no. I have the same opinion as you, if taking a lesson, I want individual lesson.

I am considering becoming a golf instructor next year. My training method for my students will be to watch me but not to mimic me. That way they will learn what not to do.

I spent a few grand on a trip to Butch Harmon's school just outside of Vegas. It was a fun experience and had me swinging the club the best I ever have. But some of the things did not ingrain all that well and I reverted back to a lot of the same bad habits. I would consider doing it again, but chances are I will spend less money on individual lessons over a much longer period of time.

Only if taught by Paige Spiranac. :)

I'd opt for individual lessons if I had the choice. I took a one-day group lesson YEARS ago, and the instructors gave most, if not all, of their attention to a specific group of golfers.

I don’t think that would appeal to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Concur times 3. And for 2500 it better be hands on as well.

(Stop it you dirty old man Smiter, just stop) ?

To the thread topic, it might be the only logical way to get with a top 10 teacher if you live 1500 miles away, and I'd say go for it if you're in it for the experience. Otherwise your instruction money is probably spent better elsewhere.

Personally if I had 2500 extra burning a hole in my golf budget pocket I'd book a fun golf trip. It if I was hell bent on instruction, just spend 2k on the trip and 500 on instruction. Seems like a better plan than going back to school for the same price.

That and I'm deathly afraid of someone trying to "fix" my swing. I have November through March to work on it myself each year. I know what an instructor would do with my homegrown thing I call a swing. It wouldn't be pretty.

To the thread topic, it might be the only logical way to get with a top 10 teacher if you live 1500 miles away, and I'd say go for it if you're in it for the experience. Otherwise your instruction money is probably spent better elsewhere.

Personally if I had 2500 extra burning a hole in my golf budget pocket I'd book a fun golf trip. It if I was hell bent on instruction, just spend 2k on the trip and 500 on instruction. Seems like a better plan than going back to school for the same price.

That and I'm deathly afraid of someone trying to "fix" my swing. I have November through March to work on it myself each year. I know what an instructor would do with my homegrown thing I call a swing. It wouldn't be pretty.

Yeah, a cool golf trip is much more to my liking.

$2500? I'm heading to the course on the naughty side of town.

In all seriousness, I think it would be a fun and useful experience.

Many times, such schools involve range/short game work in the morning with instructors moving between the various students, and then on-course work in the afternoon, often at a gorgeous course.

Now, would it be as good a value as $2500 of lessons? Probably not.

So it really depends on whether you want to go do something different.

I only know about 5 or 6 guys that have attended one and none of them lowered their index long term. I think of a golf school as maybe a fun getaway with buddies but not a solution for lowering scores.

A buddy is trying to get together a few folks to go. He hasn't mentioned a specific school or teacher.

My initial thought is to pass. The group instruction thing strikes me as odd. I'm not sure how much quality instruction you really get. If I'm going to drop that kind of coin on golf instruction, it seems like I'd get more out of individual lessons (assuming a good teacher). Even then, I don't think that I'd drop north $2,500 plus (wild guess on the school's cost plus transportation) on lessons over the course of a year.

Thoughts? Recommendations? Warnings?

Find a local teaching pro and work with him or her on everything including swing technique, course playing strategy, equipment purchases etc...

Questions I would be looking at are -

How long is the golf school for? 1 day, 2 days?
What is actually included in the total cost? Transport, accommodation, food, rounds of golf, etc?
How much 1-1 time do you get with the instructor?

If you were talking $2,500, then even 12 1-hour long lessons across the year with my instructor equates to roughly a third of that total (just over $750 based on the current exchange rate), and he uses GASP video analysis and also has a studio set up with GEARS for even more in-depth data analysis if you wish to go that route

Personally I wold pass on a golf school like that as I don't think I would find it useful enough for what I want to work on next in my game

$2500 seems like a high number, but I guess since you're including travel, accommodations, etc. it doesn't seem as harsh. Still, I would only do it if multiple rounds of golf were included. I heard the Pinehurst school was one of the best you could go to because of the heavy discount you'd get on #2 and unlimited golf on several of the other courses there.

if i could afford it i would do it, but there are only a few guys i would want to be around. pelz, stockton, harmon, and foley. i think i could glean a few tidbits to help me improve.

if i could afford it i would do it, but there are only a few guys i would want to be around. pelz, stockton, harmon, and foley. i think i could glean a few tidbits to help me improve.

While I've never done it, my understanding is at most of the "big name" schools, for the "normal price" you get staff instructors. The big name guy may come by for a few hours if they're in town, but they won't be doing any real instructing. Some of the schools offer a special session where the big name does get into actual instruction, but those sessions often have price tags north of $7,000.

While I've never done it, my understanding is at most of the "big name" schools, for the "normal price" you get staff instructors. The big name guy may come by for a few hours if they're in town, but they won't be doing any real instructing. Some of the schools offer a special session where the big name does get into actual instruction, but those sessions often have price tags north of $7,000.

that's freaking crazy. i guess i'll just keep sucking at golf lol

Probably an urban legend, but there's supposed to be this sign outside a pro shop somewhere:

Lessons with our PGA Professional:

Ten (10) 60 minute lessons, $600

One (1) 30 minute lesson, $6,000*

*If you expect a miracle, you should expect to pay for it

I agree with most posters - fun experience if cost were no object, but most times, bad habits that took years to learn cannot be unlearned in two intensivce days.

I noticed that when looking into a few of them. To get one with the big names you have to spend a lot more. The one I was highly considering recently is with Andrew Rice

Back