Bridgestone J15 Driving Forged Irons

6563b0492785fbcc0ac270af31da72d3.jpg

Test drives are in. This will be fun.

These irons are absolutely gorgeous.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Great looking setup. First time out will be fun. Hope they work out great for you.

Enjoy SkiBum! Make sure to let us know what you think.
Will do! I'm hoping to hit some balls either today or tomorrow, and then I've got a round and a lesson planned this weekend so they should get a solid workout.

Will do! I'm hoping to hit some balls either today or tomorrow, and then I've got a round and a lesson planned this weekend so they should get a solid workout.

looking forward to your thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are some good looking sticks right there.

Hit these testers tonight and really enjoyed these heads with the Recoil and Steelfiber shafts. Not sure how much of it is head and how much is shaft, but I was hitting them essentially the same distance as my much more distance oriented Z Stars - which is impressive considering the size and lofts on these.

These feel really awesome on center struck shots, and have great distance to boot. I did notice they feel kinda "hollow and clicky" when you miss though - it's kinda odd. Not terrible but odd.

Overall the forgiveness is pretty good for an iron of this size IMO - they remind me very much of the Adams CMB's I used to game in size and shaping, but they are definitely more forgiving. However, they are still more demanding than nearly any GI iron, and I noticed the difference vs my Z Star.

I think I could game these no problem, but I would certainly pay more on misses. Gorgeous sticks, though. GORGEOUS.

Hit these testers tonight and really enjoyed these heads with the Recoil and Steelfiber shafts. Not sure how much of it is head and how much is shaft, but I was hitting them essentially the same distance as my much more distance oriented Z Stars - which is impressive considering the size and lofts on these.

These feel really awesome on center struck shots, and have great distance to boot. I did notice they feel kinda "hollow and clicky" when you miss though - it's kinda odd. Not terrible but odd.

Overall the forgiveness is pretty good for an iron of this size IMO - they remind me very much of the Adams CMB's I used to game in size and shaping, but they are definitely more forgiving. However, they are still more demanding than nearly any GI iron, and I noticed the difference vs my Z Star.

I think I could game these no problem, but I would certainly pay more on misses. Gorgeous sticks, though. GORGEOUS.

I have wondered how the J15 driving irons have been holding up, and the steelfibers and recoils are two shafts i would love to try some time.

my posts in #271 and #273 mention the sound/feel. that "tink" and "springy" feeling took a little getting used to. the first time i played with my buddy he thought the iron was cracked somewhere when he heard the sound. a couple range sessions and i stopped noticing it. now, it's addictive!

good call on the similarity in shape to the cmb. that was one of my favorite irons i've ever hit, but never pulled the trigger.

give them a little more time. once you groove them, they really are special. i'm constantly impressed with how well missed shots come off. when we played at the thp club testing event last week, there was a long par 4 into the wind. i had 190+ back to the pin. i hit 5i pretty far out on the toe, and was on the green just a little short of pin high. really impressive stuff.

my posts in #271 and #273 mention the sound/feel. that "tink" and "springy" feeling took a little getting used to. the first time i played with my buddy he thought the iron was cracked somewhere when he heard the sound. a couple range sessions and i stopped noticing it. now, it's addictive!

good call on the similarity in shape to the cmb. that was one of my favorite irons i've ever hit, but never pulled the trigger.

give them a little more time. once you groove them, they really are special. i'm constantly impressed with how well missed shots come off. when we played at the thp club testing event last week, there was a long par 4 into the wind. i had 190+ back to the pin. i hit 5i pretty far out on the toe, and was on the green just a little short of pin high. really impressive stuff.
Yeah I'm not worried about that sound, it's just unexpected haha.

So, do you find these pretty long irons with any shaft? I'm trying to figure out how much of the distance has to do with increased ball speed from the composite shafts, and how much of it is the head. Because I sure didn't expect these to be as long as my Z Stars, but guess what, they're right there.

Yeah I'm not worried about that sound, it's just unexpected haha.

So, do you find these pretty long irons with any shaft? I'm trying to figure out how much of the distance has to do with increased ball speed from the composite shafts, and how much of it is the head. Because I sure didn't expect these to be as long as my Z Stars, but guess what, they're right there.

I picked up 1-1.5 clubs over my i25 with sf i95r in my current setup. I never liked the steelfibers. I've never been as long as I am with these irons. I think it's the head design, and a little help from the shafts. as much as I like ho'ing, I'm scared to move away from these clubs because they are that good for me. in fact I may buy a backup set if I can find one for cheap.

I picked up 1-1.5 clubs over my i25 with sf i95r in my current setup. ***

That is impressive. How do they rate on forgiveness vs the i25s? Turf interaction? Are the long irons easy, harder or the same to get in the air?

I also picked up a club over my past irons and they were a club longer than the APEX pros I have now. I did have the Steelfibers in mine with reg. flex and absolutely loved them. I really wish I had got the steelfibers in the APEX pros, but I am getting used to the Recoils and getting good results (most of the time). The DF's were more forgiving than the APEX pros but that is to be expected.

That is impressive. How do they rate on forgiveness vs the i25s? Turf interaction? Are the long irons easy, harder or the same to get in the air?

i was VERY impressed too.

i'll be very transparent: i never liked the i25s. and with the amount of money i dropped on them (started with sf i110cw s then re-shafted to i95cw r), i grew to loathe them. i spent about a year and a half with them, and in that time i saw bad things happen with my game. thin, fat, lots of blocks, no consistency in distance or trajectory. my 8i with the i25 was 140, now it is 160 with the j15df. i'm fatter, i work out less (if ever), and i'm taking fewer lessons. the clubs just fit me that much better. i will add that the callaway cf16 gave me the same distance as my j15df (actually 1y less), so i really think the i25 was just an all-around bad fit for me.

SO... i think the j15df are so much more forgiving. these glide through the turf in a way that fits my game much better. i felt like the i25s had too much bounce, and i could never get a solid strike. the j15df will fit a sweeper and a digger. if i have one complaint, it's that i find the j15df difficult to flight down in anything shorter than 6i.

Pretty high forgiveness marks there. I'll say I hit them vs the Rsi TP and JPX 850 Forged yesterday, and I didn't find these much less forgiving than the 850F's, outside of the smaller head size. Id say they're more forgiving than the Rsi TP.

Has anybody hit these and the Cobra Fly-Z+ Forged? Curious what the forgiveness difference is.

Pretty high forgiveness marks there. I'll say I hit them vs the Rsi TP and JPX 850 Forged yesterday, and I didn't find these much less forgiving than the 850F's, outside of the smaller head size. Id say they're more forgiving than the Rsi TP.

Has anybody hit these and the Cobra Fly-Z+ Forged? Curious what the forgiveness difference is.

hi sbg: me again! i hit my j15df side-by-side against the fly-z+ forged at liita last year. my game wasn't great at that time, but i found the all stock fly-z+ forged in s flex to be a tighter dispersion than the j15df (that day, anyway), but .5-1 club shorter.

Funny how I thought I kept hearing a "tink" noise. I though it was in my head. I'm not sure of that means I pured one or it's a mis-hit.

Definitely excited to get my testers in Tuesday with Recoil 95 and Steelfiber i95. I won't lie, the main reason is to try the shafts, but I'm also very intrigued by these irons as well and haven't had the chance to try them yet so it'll be a double benefit.

so please do tell about the shafts....

I am THIS close to pulling the trigger on a custom set of these, price be damned. I'll sell a bunch of crap if I have to haha

I have a bit of a dilemma though. I was fitted into the JPX850 Forged irons a month ago with Recoil Proto 95 shafts and got awesome results. However, I hit these with the Steelfiber i95 stiff (as shown above) and saw similarly awesome results, although they feel different - I recall the Protos not being quite as stiff. The clubheads are almost identical in loft, and both have hidden cavities and create really solid distance - I know I've seen several comparisons in this thread commenting on their similarity.

Assuming the cost is similar, I guess I go with the Protos since that will give me the peace of mind of being "fitted" to them? I seem to recall thinking they were very similar shafts in the fitting, but that the Proto just had a little more energy.

Admittedly I'm probably splitting hairs and both shafts will probably yield great results.

Last edited:
you are splitting hairs, and they will both yield great results. in my opinion, it's down to feel. what felt the best for you, and gave you the most confidence to hit the best shot? that's the winner.

I am THIS close to pulling the trigger on a custom set of these, price be damned. I'll sell a bunch of crap if I have to haha

I have a bit of a dilemma though. I was fitted into the JPX850 Forged irons a month ago with Recoil Proto 95 shafts and got awesome results. However, I hit these with the Steelfiber i95 stiff (as shown above) and saw similarly awesome results, although they feel different - I recall the Protos not being quite as stiff. The clubheads are almost identical in loft, and both have hidden cavities and create really solid distance - I know I've seen several comparisons in this thread commenting on their similarity.

Assuming the cost is similar, I guess I go with the Protos since that will give me the peace of mind of being "fitted" to them? I seem to recall thinking they were very similar shafts in the fitting, but that the Proto just had a little more energy.

Admittedly I'm probably splitting hairs and both shafts will probably yield great results.
At this point you should go with whatever shaft tugs at your heartstrings the most. Which one will make you smile every time you pull one out of the bag?

Fair points guys. I'll have to think on it. Long term relationship decisions need not be made lightly!

I still love these irons to death, easily some of the best I've hit last year.

Still loving mine as well. Just need to quit overswinging.

So the guy quoting the build for me just told me Bridgestone won't sell a 5-PW set of these, I have to buy a 4i too. WTH? All it's gonna do is sit in the damn closet anyways. Seems a little crappy to force me to shell out extra cash for something I don't want.

For the record, I understand the inventory challenges associated with this. But it's still frustrating.

Back