Shoe Ponders - Fashion over Function

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Interesting conversation in one of the latest release threads bring me to the question;

If you found a shoe that felt incredible, reduced all aspects of fatigue, and took forever to break down.... But you didn't like the way the shoe looked.... Could you wear them during your golf season?

What percentage of your shoe purchase is fashion, and what percentage is function?

They would never get my money, no. Too many options that look good and perform out there, no point putting ugly shoes on my feet.

I could, to a degree. I have some shoes that aren't my favorite when it comes to looks, but they just feel comfortable, so I'm good with that.

More fashion than function for me, but that is slowly leaning the other way now that I'm walking more.

Percentages, gentlemen?

I'd say 100% fashion honestly. Reason why...they have to look good to me. If they don't, they have a 0% chance of me buying them. They also have to perform, but since it doesn't matter if they don't look good, it's 100% fashion first.

Fashion- 65%
Comfort- 35%

I know with all of the releases out there I can get both though

you and your damn percentages. 58.683 to 41.317, functionality over looks.

100% fashion

I would say 70 Fashion/30 Function I wish I was lying but I couldn't wear something I don't like the look of.

I would say the purchase is 100% eye appeal to me. Out of the shoes I purchase I gravitate to the most comfortable pairs.

60% fashion and 40% function. I've tried a variety of killer looking Pumas however they never seem to fit me well and Nike or Adidas usually win out (maybe cause I have a very wide foot?)

Interesting conversation in one of the latest release threads bring me to the question;

If you found a shoe that felt incredible, reduced all aspects of fatigue, and took forever to break down.... But you didn't like the way the shoe looked.... Could you wear them during your golf season?

What percentage of your shoe purchase is fashion, and what percentage is function?
Great question dan, I've had this before with a pair of true linkswear, not the prettiest of shoes, but they were very comfortable, but I can think of a dozen shoes I thought looked good, but may not have felt the best. Now I'm firmly on the comfort side first, then look. But in the end look my hinder me from trying a pair of shoes on, so I think that's maybe the largest area where I'm missing out, I don't even give some shoes a chance.

I would probably go 100% in favour of function, especially considering I always walk so they have to be comfortable for me. There are certain specific things that I need to have in a shoe so that sometimes limits my choices, but at the end of the day, if I am walking for 3-4 hours in them they have to be comfortable

No point having the best looking shoes on the market if you are crippled after 3 holes in my book

I'd say 50-50 for me. I don't love how the TW shoes look, but they're the most comfortable for me. I wore those for 2.5 years until they basically fell apart.

I would say 70 Fashion/30 Function I wish I was lying but I couldn't wear something I don't like the look of.

Probably about the same for me. Not that the 30 percent doesn't matter because I don't want to wear something that kills my feet. But in the hypothetical from the original post, no matter how comfortable they are, I'm not buying the ugly shoes.

They have to be comfortable and provide a solid foundation, but by the same token I won't try them unless they look appealing. I'll call that 50/50 maybe?

I'm a huge Ecco biom hybrid fan and not because of their looks. All about comfort for me. I've tried some "better" looking shoes recently (Adizero, Puma, and Callaway Del Mar) and none of them came close to how the Ecco Biom Hybrids feel to me. I've decided they are the shoe for me now and no sense even in trying others.

Functionality comes 1st and foremost and as for fashion I'd prefer something simple like black or white with perhaps a bit of colour on the soles. Nothing outrageous for me.

Fashion: 80%
Function: 20%

Like cbaker said, way too many companies out there that have both priorities pretty well matched up.

If a shoe is absolutely heinously ugly but is the most comfortable shoe in the world, I won't wear it. I am willing to sacrifice a little style before comfort. Conversely, if I love how a shoe looks, but it's uncomfortable or doesn't perform some other way, I won't buy it.

I don't know how to break it down percentage wise and I don't think you can.

If you're referring to golf shoes it's function > fashion. I have an odd sized foot and it's hard to find comfortable well fitting shoes. In my business life it's the reverse.

Performance over style.

Function: 90%
Fashion: 10%

Way more fashion for me. Probably 95/5

I need the shoes to look good then look at the function but of either one isn't there I have a problem. One of the things I like about puma is a good combo of both

Back