jim54

must be the shafts
Reaction score
Handicap
I was riding with Antihero's FIL last Sunday and we are about the same age and he commented on my very short backswing and how I got so much distance from it. (relatively anyway)

Now in my mind's eye I swing like Tiger or Adam Scott with a nice full turn and complete follow though which is obviously just not even close to happening.

So my question this fine Sat morning is can you feel where or what your swing is actually doing?

To me is does feel like I am making a good turn and getting the club to at least 3/4 to the top but in reality it is only about 1/2 way and my old back problems do not allow a real good follow though unless I am real loose or taking proper meds.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My problem is I think I should be able to do big full turn but in reality I can't. I can comfortably make a 3/4 turn and be in control but when I try to go beyond that I start over turning my body which causes me to lose spine angle and all sorts of bad things happen. It sucks being 55 and still think you are 25!

I know when I am overswinging and if I can keep in my mind I want to make a 3/4 swing I usually hit the ball more crisp and can control it way better. I don't hit it as far but I don't hit it far anyway.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I only take between 1/2 and 3/4 back swing, for me it helps with better contact which is where I get my yardage. I do have to remind myself to follow thru.

When I was doing the Super Speed drills at least two to three times a week I believe I got a better swing all around, maybe due to the extra flexibility or just trying to swing faster meant having to turn more.

I have not done it much this summer do to the heat and the back flaring up and mostly because I am just lazy, but I plan to do it a couple of times next week prior to going up to the Kinderlou mini Event and with the weather possibly cooling off from surface of the sun temps in the next month it is my plan to get back to working on the SS drills.

My golfing partners are always commenting and saying they can't believe how much distance I am able to get on such a short back swing. I use the shorter back swing because I can control the ball better that way. My back swing is probably only a 2/3 back swing and when I try a longer back swing I get bad results. Even so, on many of my tee shots I am able to hit the ball just as far or further than most people I play golf with.

I work a lot on my flexibility which allows me to turn my shoulders 110 degrees. I get the club to parallel or a bit past with the longer clubs. 3+ days each week I use cable exercises, a swing fan, SuperSpeed trainer, and the MISIG trainer. Fear of losing distance is a good motivator at age 53.

Last edited:
I will be 60 in January and the hard life as a Commercial Fisherman and a Construction worker has taken its toll, I was actually asking if folks could really tell where the turn really is on a normal swing.
Maybe it is just me that without seeing it thought it was much more. I agree I seem to have better control with the shorter swing but I did not think it was this short.

I think I am around parallel but in reality I am not really sure. If I am spraying the ball badly, I try to intentionally shorten my backswing to try to help straighten it out a bit. Where that backswing actually gets to on a full swing, I really don't know.

Backswing length doesn’t matter as much as your shoulder turn. JB Holmes’ club at the top isn’t parallel. Tony Finau and Gary Woodland aren’t either. Their shoulder turn though sure as heck is.

So long as your shoulder turn and club are in sync, you’re fine. It’s when you stop your shoulder turn and try and keep the club moving back, you run into issues that take a lot of timing and good luck.

It's been quite some time since I've been able to get the club to parallel(AGE), but what I have done that helps immensely was to concentrate on the full extension of the left arm going back and the right arm going forward to the finish.

For some reason, it maximizes my shoulder turn back and through the ball which in turn relates to better contact, better distance and dispersion.

No, I'm not going to hit 320 yds., but I'll damn sure make it to 220 yds. consistently and for the majority, in the fairway.

I have learned a long time ago knowing my limitations has kept me playing this game at a level that I can still compete and enjoy this game I truly love so much.

my backswing is on the short side. i have my thoughts about why, but don't know for sure. i do know that some of my best contact comes with a shorter backswing, and when i try to elongate my backswing things get worse. i probably have more of a 1/2 to 3/4 length backswing, and i'm ok with my distance.

Backswing length doesn’t matter as much as your shoulder turn. JB Holmes’ club at the top isn’t parallel. Tony Finau and Gary Woodland aren’t either. Their shoulder turn though sure as heck is.

So long as your shoulder turn and club are in sync, you’re fine. It’s when you stop your shoulder turn and try and keep the club moving back, you run into issues that take a lot of timing and good luck.

Excellent post !

I would say my backswing is on the long side. When I’m getting a good full shoulder turn with my woods I can actually see (and look for) the head in my peripheral vision on the left.
It’s been long and smooth since I learned the game. Tried shortening it a few years ago and our pro asked me why it shortened. I told him that seemed to be the new way. He told me at my age (59 at the time) I should want all the length and turn I could handle. So back to the old swing I went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, shoulder turn. I start my backswing with my shoulders and almost no break in my wrists. I thought I had a bigger swing than I do up until last week. My wife shot a video of my full swing 6 iron when I was playing by our house. Hit it 165 to the green about 10 feet from the hole. Looked like I barely swung the club. Really weird. For me it's in the shoulders and lag.

Thanks for all the posts, it is nice to know I am not alone in not really feeling the swing. Could be that one or two drives I really get out there is a bit more turn, etc. Or just make close to center face contact.

Next time we play I could take some videos for comparison at the range

It's always interesting to see what you think you're doing vs. actual.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

my swing doesn't get past parallel with any of my clubs. I have a fairly short back swing.

The length of the back swing should be limited to the left shoulder reaching the chin. Anything more and your over swinging.

A few months ago, during my backswing, I started seeing the driver head out of my peripheral vision on the left side. I was striking the ball well and putting them out there (for me).

My Pro started shortening me out and changing my grip and clubhead orientation. My driving has gone to poop.

At the range, I am trying to get back to my overswing, and that is now not working.

I am going to concentrate on getting back to my "too long" backswing and try to get my distance back. I've lost at least 30 yards, and control, going with the shorter backswing.

Back