esg777

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So Monday is my birthday and there is no better reason to buy some golf gear. I am in the market for a new putter.

I have rolled a variety of putters (@ the local pga superstore) from Scotty Cameron, Odyssey, Cleveland and the list goes on. I currently putt with a blade but most likely will switch to a mallet putter. I was wondering what you look for when testing a new putter? For me I am going off of feel. I am contemplating a putter fitting. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Looks and feel. If you don't like something you are looking down on that you will use every single hole, then just bypass it. Feel will be very important. (Try to take your gamer ball with you to test) that way you know exactly how it will feel or a really good idea. Weight is another issue, I used to like light putters but will never go back to one, I like the heavier feel/weight of my Scotty.

I recently went through the same situation contemplating a new putter. Having played the last tens years plus with a Scotty Bullseye, I was looking for a putter with better sight line aid.
For me, balance on the take away was immediate in ruling out a number of putters. S-neck putters came offline almost immediately in the first six inches. Plummer’s neck putters always came away straight and smooth. Center shafted putters were a close second.
Blade and mallet head with Plummer’s neck went to the top. Really liked the sight line aid on the Works V-Line CH. then local golf shop had a used one in mint condition for a c-note. Put a midsize Winn putter grip as never liked the jumbo putter grips.
Haven’t looked back as putting better, closer and making considerably more putts inside 12 feet.
Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I look for aim first to initially decide whether mallet or blade, then I look at hosel position - heel, center - to see if I am aiming the putter at a spot, then I look at offset and how it affects aim. I tune in aim with no sightlines and then add them slowly as sightlines tend to get you to aiming left. It's a process to get it right.

Or just get a SeeMore Triangulator for $10 and do a low tech aim test.

If it doesn't fit your eye, you will never be truly comfortable an committed all the way to it.

The alignment aid is extremely important to me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I never used to think it mattered that much as long as the feel was right. But since I started playing with a “fang” style mallet my putting has improved dramatically.

811980724b70c49ff1b4b43f30c06cf2.jpg

I need a FANG... about the only style I don't have.

I need a FANG... about the only style I don't have.

I don’t know if that is WHY I am putting better, but it works for me. My previous putter is a traditional mallet style with weights that can be swapped out. I really struggled with it.

Back