TaylorMade GAPR HI - THP Review

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
This one, this one has me pretty excited. As you have seen by now THP got the entire gamut of GAPR products in for review with @Canadan working with the Lo and @Molten with the Mid, that naturally leaves me with the Hi. Honestly, this was the one I asked for and hoped for, reason being, its a profile we don't see a lot in hybrids right now, its much more compact front to back and gives the visual of precision. Beyond that, there is clearly a lot going on here, the alignment feature, the SpeedFoam, the adjustability, it really should be a fun one.

The GAPR Hi has a price point of $249.99, and I got the 19* version paired with the KBS Graphite Hybrid shaft in 85S which is honestly perfect as I have just recently made the move to a 20* hybrid to replace my long time 7w in that gap. There will be data early this week as soon as I can get out and we are rid of this rain!

TaylorMade on the GAPR HI:

THERE'S A GAP IN YOUR GAME AND IT'S TIME TO FIX IT.

THREE UNIQUE SHAPES
  • GAPR™ introduces a new category of golf club, designed to fill the gap between your longest playable iron and your shortest metalwood. Featuring three unique shapes (GAPR™ HI, MID, and LO), you can choose your preferred head design to bridge the gap in your long game.

SPEEDFOAM
  • Each GAPR™ club benefits from TaylorMade's revolutionary SpeedFoam™technology, which has been injected into each clubhead to enhance ballspeed and feel—delivering performance unlike any other utility club.

ADJUSTABILITY
  • Our easily adjustable Loft Sleeve™ provides even more options to tweak the loft, lie, and trajectory to find your perfect GAPR™ distance. Use the Loft Sleeve™ to dial in your yardage and/or make subtle adjustments as your swing evolves.

FORGIVENESS
  • Speed Pocket™ technology in each GAPR™ model produces hotter launch conditions for enhanced distance, forgiveness, and playability on low-face strikes.

WHICH GAPR IS RIGHT FOR YOU?

GAPR HI
  • Low-back CG for extreme distance with a high trajectory
  • Most traditional hybrid shaping
  • Dropped crown contour for lower CG and improved alignment
GAPR MID
  • Ultra-low CG for extreme distance with a mid-high trajectory
  • Iron-inspired face profile to inspire confidence
  • Medium-wide sole for ease of play and versatility
GAPR LO
Low-forward CG for extreme distance with a penetrating trajectory
Smaller, "players" profile for excellent shot-shaping and workability
Mid-thin sole width provides maximum versatility and flight control

In-Hand Images:

DSC_0226-XL.jpg

DSC_0227-XL.jpg

DSC_0228-XL.jpg

DSC_0229-XL.jpg

DSC_0230-XL.jpg

DSC_0231-XL.jpg

DSC_0235-XL.jpg

DSC_0238-XL.jpg

DSC_0239-XL.jpg

DSC_0240-XL.jpg

DSC_0241-XL.jpg

• Staff
Quick comments, haven't hit yet because of rain, but....

Profile is very Apex'y, which I love seeing. Same size footprint but with adjustability is exciting.

The alignment feature isn't bad in person, as someone who constantly sets up right of target, it could be welcome.

The matte look is so good on hybrids.

The headcover is, IMO, rather sad.

Those photos have me sold. I like the shape a lot. Big 4 hybrid ponder now.

It sounds like the Hi version would be best for my game. But I generally have terrible results with those small hybrid heads. No consistency. I’d have to straighten that out before investing in one of these.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Staff
Pretty wild looking profile.
It’s dead on the same size as the Apex, you know how excited that makes me.

It sounds like the Hi version would be best for my game. But I generally have terrible results with those small hybrid heads. No consistency. I’d have to straighten that out before investing in one of these.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s definitely a different visual profile, the reason I like it so much with the Apex was it was more an iron replacement than a distance monger, which is what I need in my game, so it fits really well with what they’re trying to do with the GAPR line.

• Staff
Yeah I’ve seen what you can do with an apex profile. If this is a legit combatant that’s a big slot for TaylorMade.

Yep, it’s a comfortable one for me to be sure.

Super curious about the feel/sound here with the Speedfoam in it, I’m imagining super solid, but I’ve been wrong before.

This one really has my attention, the one that I thought would fit me the best, can't wait to hear more James!

This one really has my attention, the one that I thought would fit me the best, can't wait to hear more James!

Thanks Icey, hoping to get out tomorrow. Have two Fmax review threads going up here in a bit too! Lots to do!

Looking forward to seeing what you think, I have had the same model you have just got in but with a bit less swing speed than you have. Buddy bought the 4 and isn't a fan of it so I am testing that out as well.

As you said very similar in size/profile to the Apex, square face that I don't find has much right to left bias (if any). Has become a real weapon for me off the tee on shorter par 4s and I used it to hit a green from 197 in the fairway today (which is excellent for me). Sound/feel is much more iron than hybrid to me, so curious what you find as you hit a lot of models.

Looking forward to seeing what you think, I have had the same model you have just got in but with a bit less swing speed than you have. Buddy bought the 4 and isn't a fan of it so I am testing that out as well.

As you said very similar in size/profile to the Apex, square face that I don't find has much right to left bias (if any). Has become a real weapon for me off the tee on shorter par 4s and I used it to hit a green from 197 in the fairway today (which is excellent for me). Sound/feel is much more iron than hybrid to me, so curious what you find as you hit a lot of models.

I’m eager to get this one going. Lots of questions.

Definitely sits super square, which surprised me greatly to be honest, and excited me as well.

As an Apex fan, I’m digging the profile. Pretty interesting looking head. Will be watching for your updates, James.

Morning bump.

Going to try to sneak out for a few today to hit this one a couple times.

Hit the gapr 4, after I warmed up I hit some beauties with this. Think it gaps better than my 4h does but I think I am going to loft this up as I need to be able to go at some greens with this spot in the bag.

Looking forward to JMan’s thoughts as I think this is a very underrated club right now.

I think this club could be a real weapon, but at the same time wonder if a traditional hybrid or straight face iron would be more useful. The very long shaft length seems to make it scream tee club.

I wonder if this clubhead would be a good candidate for a true long iron replacement. Switch shaft out with your iron shaft and go from there.

I think this club could be a real weapon, but at the same time wonder if a traditional hybrid or straight face iron would be more useful. The very long shaft length seems to make it scream tee club.

I wonder if this clubhead would be a good candidate for a true long iron replacement. Switch shaft out with your iron shaft and go from there.

Funny, when I hit it off the tee I grip at the end of the club. When I have used it off the turf I have choked down a half inch or so. Liking the results so far

Well, if you go by the reasoning behind the GAPR lineup, theyre sort of meant to fill that iron replacement category directly, no?

The profile is one that I'm happy to see again, the Apex may be the best hybrid ever made for those seeking a true iron replacement and not a freaky long distance club, so seeing TM blend a similar design into the GAPR lineup if pretty exciting.

Solid, is an understatement of the sound/feel. It’s the most solid sounding hybrid I’ve ever hit, ever. Like, a crack off the face.

Also, I’ve not played a 19* in a minute, but this one is long. Surprisingly long.

I’m a bit perplexed here after the first session.

Solid, is an understatement of the sound/feel. It’s the most solid sounding hybrid I’ve ever hit, ever. Like, a crack off the face.

Also, I’ve not played a 19* in a minute, but this one is long. Surprisingly long.

I’m a bit perplexed here after the first session.

Ohhh perplexity is fun. Please go on!

Well, if you go by the reasoning behind the GAPR lineup, theyre sort of meant to fill that iron replacement category directly, no?

The profile is one that I'm happy to see again, the Apex may be the best hybrid ever made for those seeking a true iron replacement and not a freaky long distance club, so seeing TM blend a similar design into the GAPR lineup if pretty exciting.

I think the contradiction is the long shaft. I get that for most golfers not enough club speed is the issue in this portion of the bag. I guess this is the same debate with hybrids.

The look of these have grown for me, but I get how this is the hardest portion of the bag to fit.

Ohhh perplexity is fun. Please go on!

My mind, it is boggled.

1) I know there’s speedfoam at work here, but in 1,000 years I’d have never expected this sound/feel.

2) I can launch it pretty well, only got two on the LM before the monitor died, but, I was in the 9.8-10.8 range and for a 19* hybo is pretty solid (PGA avg in that range via the trackman numbers is 10.2-10.4).

3) Its long. Man it’s long so far, but I want to have some hard data screen caps before I get too into that.

4) I was hesitant to the crown alignment like many, but it looks pretty badass at setup, the profile is so compact and just clean.

How much longer is the shaft that a normal hybo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much longer is the shaft that a normal hybo?

Per Taylormade's Website the GAPR hi is the same length as an equivalent M3 Hybrid. Longer than an iron for sure (the Gapr hi 3 is 40.75", M3 3 hybrid 40.75" P790 3I is 38.75") so that might be where people think it is long. With a graphite shaft I am not surprised that it is longer, as I think those are at times 1/2" longer than steel shafted irons.

I have enjoyed what I have seen out of the 3 Gapr Hi, but today the 4 was a hook monster for me. Was for a sure a swing issue as I did the same with my driver.

Per Taylormade's Website the GAPR hi is the same length as an equivalent M3 Hybrid. Longer than an iron for sure (the Gapr hi 3 is 40.75", M3 3 hybrid 40.75" P790 3I is 38.75") so that might be where people think it is long. With a graphite shaft I am not surprised that it is longer, as I think those are at times 1/2" longer than steel shafted irons.

I have enjoyed what I have seen out of the 3 Gapr Hi, but today the 4 was a hook monster for me. Was for a sure a swing issue as I did the same with my driver.

Thank you, that is not long that is standard hybo

Back