Will Jordan Spieth Surpass Tiger Woods Outside Of Golf?

Really? Isn't TV viewership dropping quite a bit while the golfing industry as a whole is suffering?

I think in the modern society of instant gratification golf will continue to go backwards (unless pace of play issues are taken seriously) which will lead to smaller purses and fewer endorsements. And, I'm alone on this, he will fizzle sooner than later. I see him as more of a Donald or Kuchar (I know he has already waaaaay ahead of both but, it's how I personally view him) and this hot streak will slow. He could win a ton but unless he wins in Tiger fashion with a dominant perfomance (which Rory seems much more likely) I don't think he will generate the buzz to grasp the non-golfers.

You don't view his Masters win as dominant performance?

Let's be honest, he was talented and he was an African American in a white mans game. He didn't appeal to one demographic he appealed to many.
Exactly, spieth is great but to me he's a dull young white man and to the casual fan just another white guy that is good at golf.

When you're talking success off the course I'm assuming you're talking total sponsorship dollars and popularity. In both cases I don't think Jordan will surpass Tiger. I don't see Jordan chasing sponsorship dollars from club manufacturers. His goal is to win. I think Jordan would rather play clubs he is confident in then switching sponsors for a huge sum of money. In fact he is still gaming his 714 irons. I think he will be much more selective in his sponsorships and not put his name on just anything for a buck. He knows the importance of personal branding.

And as far as golf pop culture no one has done more than Arnie and Tiger. Armie made golf fans out of everyone with his fearless style and infectious personality. Tiger was so good in his prime he was in a league of his own. He gained notoriety from every corner of the world and really made golf popular worldwide. Tiger paved the way for the guys coming up on the tour today. Without Tiger these guys wouldn't be making a fraction of what they are today. We are so quick to forget.

Will there ever be a video game named after Jordan Spieth? Will Jordan Spieth ever be a global brand based solely on his first name? Will Jordan ever have the following of Arnie and Tiger in their prime? I'm not convinced.

...now if you're talking success on the course that's a whole different topic all together.

Last edited:
Wake me up when Jordan causes 3x increase in prize money across the board in PGA events.

Still love me some Spieth though

Its a tough question and one I wanted to pose to THPers. This is not about majors, wins, hookers or anything of the sort. Its about business. Spieth signs with Coke and along with AT&T, Rolex and a number of others is becoming the mainstream brand cover boy in the world of golf.

With his play, age and personality, do you believe he can surpass Woods in success off the course?
Yes, it's definitely possible.

Back