Good Tips/Drills for reducing a push fade.

clarkgriswold

2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
I’ve been getting my slice under control all season and improving, really focusing on feet, posture and body/shoulder rotation, but right now I am battling a bad push fade. Everything starts online then inevitably will end up trailing 10-15 yards off target at the end. Any simple drills to work on this?

If you're starting on target, sounds like more of a fade, but no push to me. I'd hesitate to suggest anything, but the simple (easier said than done) answer is you gotta get the clubface square.

I’ve been getting my slice under control all season and improving, really focusing on feet, posture and body/shoulder rotation, but right now I am battling a bad push fade. Everything starts online then inevitably will end up trailing 10-15 yards off target at the end. Any simple drills to work on this?

Just so happens I was battling this same thing. Couple things I did to correct it and it works for me. But of course still trying to build the muscle memory on the range.

Do you cup your left wrist in your backswing? That will result in a push fade. To see how that works, take your setup and while still in setup position addressing the ball, cup your left wrist. See what happens to the club face? It points up and right. I eventually found that my grip was contributing to this. My left thumb was positioned to far to the right. I repositioned that to just a touch right of the top. At the top of my backswing I can now feel that thumb supporting the club which helps me keep that wrist from cupping. I always felt like I was hinging my left wrist really good by cupping it unknowingly. Boy was I wrong. This one thing along with making center contact on the driver face, using face impact tape, helped me straighten it out. I was hitting it on the heel producing even more right spinning action.

Maybe this will help you?

Square the club face. More than likely you’re leaving the club face open at impact. Keep it square through out the swing and no more slice. Your take away should feel like your face a closed. You’ll know immediately if you’ve over done it by the pull, you suddenly see.

Grip-Posture-Alignment

A 10-15 yard fade is no big deal imo, I would start on the right side of tee box and aim at the farthest left safe line you can aim at. If you fade it you're still fine and if you go strait you're fine too.

Square the club face. More than likely you’re leaving the club face open at impact. Keep it square through out the swing and no more slice. Your take away should feel like your face a closed. You’ll know immediately if you’ve over done it by the pull, you suddenly see.

Ok thanks, I have been having the occasional hard pull so it’s probably the over compensating and just need to keep at it. Also fighting a bit of outside to in but have been using and alignment stick at the range and keeping track of which adjustments make that appear.

Without actually being able to view your swing, as well as verify the actual flight path, it would be difficult to find a full fix. I'd been "working" with a fade since I started playing 5 years ago. I'd also had occasional push fades, which was my "big miss". The issue actually ended up being a combination of a lot of little things which were causing the shot shape, but have also been robbing me of tons of distance, and requiring a lot more effort to get any distance at all.

In viewing your swing from a face-on and down-the-line path, an instructor (like Freddie) would be able to better diagnose where you may be having issues, and be able to more-effectively provide some remedy.

I hope that helps,

-Bishop

Back