Johnny Miller Legacy: Player or Broadcaster?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Which do you think and why?

Which do you think and why?
Short term people will think if him as a broadcaster, but his legacy will be as a player. That is where he will show up on lists for lowest rounds etc.

I remember more about his broadcasting than playing career. Every once in a while I have to remember oh yeah, this guy was actually really good in his prime. Like, really good in fact.

I think both and here’s why. His braodcasting shed light on his solid playing. He has been his best hype man for years. The end of his playing career was plagued with the yips. Had he not built his persona as a brash tell it like it is broadcaster I think he would have faded.

I suppose that questiion depends how old you are. Those who were born after he retired as a player will think of him as a broadcaster. I personally like to see him as both. If I had to choose, Id probably pick player because I never thought he was much of a broadcaster. His color commentary leaves a lot to be desired.

Did you guys know that he shot a 63 in the final round of the U.S. Open at Oakmont in 1973? :alien:

I would say his broadcasting career for the simple reason that I wasn't around to watch him play and don't know much about his career other than what he tells us. I've listened to him broadcast almost my whole golfing life and while much of it annoyed me it's what I'll remember.

Is that the guy who shot a 63 in the US open? And then when his record was beat he said the course was too Easy? Lol. He’ll always be a broadcaster in my eyes.

I only knew of him as a broadcaster. I know he was a good player. Won two majors had the ability to win many more. Had one of the best seasons of any PGA Tour pro ever. Got overshadowed a bit by some of the other stars of his time, that seems unfair. He definitely loves the game of golf and has spent his life in dedication to it.

Player for me...

As a broadcaster, his voice is/was recognizeable but he didn't do anything to revolutionize golf broadcasting. As other's have mentioned, he'll remind you of what HE DID as a player and would compare current players' situations with his experiences. Sure all broadcasters do this to some degree (assuming they were former players), but he seemed to do it in a condescending manner.

Too bad he never pointed out his "other" golf accomplishments:

2 Majors (including the final round 63...)
25 wins on Tour
1 win on Japan Tour
3 2nd place finishes at the Masters

I can't say I'll miss him on telecasts this next year, as his act was tired and distracting the last several years.

As a player, largely because of his time as a broadcaster. I heard he once shot 63 at Oakmont. On a Sunday!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Both, but as a player first. Evaluating broadcasters is subjective. We keep score at golf, making it objective and he objectively did some special things on the course.

Broadcaster for me since that's the only way I knew him.

As a player ......... I usually mute sports broadcasters, most are foolish sounding and offer very little.

50 player / 50 broadcaster

Did you guys know that he shot a 63 in the final round of the U.S. Open at Oakmont in 1973? :alien:

I would say his broadcasting career for the simple reason that I wasn't around to watch him play and don't know much about his career other than what he tells us. I've listened to him broadcast almost my whole golfing life and while much of it annoyed me it's what I'll remember.

Is that the guy who shot a 63 in the US open? And then when his record was beat he said the course was too Easy? Lol. He’ll always be a broadcaster in my eyes.

With JM retiring, who will remind me of the greatest 63 in Major History and why it will always be better than anything else shot.

I don't know much of him as a player other than the highlights but I will always know him as a pompous a$$ broadcaster. Good riddance.

Johnny Miller won 35 professional tournaments including 25 PGA Tour events, a US Open, and a British Open.

Multiple tour winner, US Open winner and the Champion Golfer of the year. Player.

Unlike the UK broadcasters, from what I see the US channels employ players. Sky in the UK employ some proper muppets, and mates of mates who need a wage.

The only way i found out Johnny Miller was a player is because Johnny Miller the broadcaster told me.

I remember more about his broadcasting than playing career. Every once in a while I have to remember oh yeah, this guy was actually really good in his prime. Like, really good in fact.

^^^^ Exactly my thoughts

But I eye roll the playing because he’s the one telling us how good he was

He would have never been a broadcaster without a stellar golf career. I did not like his style on the course or behind the mike. But he was good enough in both fields to get folks to talk about him.

I heard from someone that he shot 63 in the US Open.:alien:

I never liked his commentaries but I have to say he was a great player and had a long career.

Back