Cobra Fmax Superlite Offset Driver - THP Review

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
In for review is the update to Cobra's Fmax lineup of drivers, the Fmax Superlite, for this review it is more specifically the offset version. I actually reviewed the previous iteration so it'll be nice to pull some comparison thoughts on this one. Will be an interesting review for me no doubt with the offset AND superlite aspect, but, it will be fun. The driver is priced at $299.00 and DOES come in a straight or offset version, most interestingly, the whole package weighs only 287g.

Should get out to get some data early this week now that the weather is cleared off. I received the 10.5 version paired with the 48g superlite shaft.

Cobra on the Fmax Superlite Offset Driver:

WHAT IT IS - When it comes to maximizing speed, every gram counts. The F-MAX Superlite driver is engineered using lighter clubhead, shaft and grip designs to deliver our lightest overall clubweight of 287g.

WHO IT'S FOR
- The lightweight club design helps golfers with moderate swing speeds and smoother tempos generate effortless club speed with improved feel and stability for longer, more consistent drives.

WHY WE MADE IT
- As golfers age, their swing speed naturally decreases resulting in shorter drives and longer, tougher approach shots. With F-MAX Superlite, we've engineered an extremely lightweight and forgiving driver that is designed to improve feel, speed, and consistency for golfers with moderate swing speeds.

UNIMAGINED SPEED AND FORGIVENESS.
- COBRA's lightest weight driver construction consists of a 6 gram lighter clubhead, a 5 gram lighter shaft, and a 7 gram lighter grip that yield 18 grams in weight-saving performance, delivering unrivaled distance, forgiveness and launch for moderate swing speeds.

LIGHTER (MIDSIZE) GRIPS
- Features a midsize grip that is popular among golfers seeking more comfort, control and consistency. A lighter and softer rubber compound is utilized to improve feel and grip, while saving 7g of weight.

LIGHTER SHAFTS
- The F-MAX Superlite shaft offers the perfect blend of launch and distance for golfers with moderate swing speeds. A re-engineered profile is 5g lighter and allows for an easier, smoother transition to the ball resulting in more consistent contact.

FIND YOUR PERFECT FLIGHT
-We tested the King F8 driver in its most forgiving setting (heel weight setting) against the F-MAX Superlite driver and found the offset F-MAX Superlite driver produced 4 more yards of draw.

CROWN ALIGNMENT FEATURE
- A subtle crown alignment design assists with a square set up at address and provides a visually pleasing detail without it being distracting to the eye.

OFFSET HOSEL DESIGN
- The draw biased design of the offset hosel helps deliver a square face at impact to optimize launch and distance, while correcting rightward shot tendencies.

In-Hand Pictures:

DSC_0250-XL.jpg

DSC_0252-XL.jpg

DSC_0253-XL.jpg

DSC_0254-XL.jpg

DSC_0255-XL.jpg

Great pics JMan. The one I still wonder about this line of clubs is if you put in standard size grip at the standard weight, does it bring the swing weight even lower? I wish they would say how much their lighter midsize grip weighs so one could calculate themselves

Great pics JMan. The one I still wonder about this line of clubs is if you put in standard size grip at the standard weight, does it bring the swing weight even lower? I wish they would say how much their lighter midsize grip weighs so one could calculate themselves

I’m sure cobra would let you know how much their grip weighed if you called.

Nice pics James.

Very curious how a 287g treats you with 48g in the shaft.

Particularly the launch and dispersion

Is that shaft a made for cobra especial?

This combo intrigues me for a Thriver spot.

@JB potential second driver for you?

seems to calculate out to about the weight as a standard grip

• Staff
seems to calculate out to about the weight as a standard grip

Standard 3gen mid is 63g, this is 7g lighter, so 56g.

56g+48g=104g

So, 287g-104g means the head is approx 183g

• Staff
Nice pics James.

Very curious how a 287g treats you with 48g in the shaft.

Particularly the launch and dispersion

Is that shaft a made for cobra especial?

This combo intrigues me for a Thriver spot.

@JB potential second driver for you?

It’ll be interesting, especially since I swing faster than I did last year when I reviewed the previous Fmax.

Yep, it’s a designed for cobra shaft.

• Staff
To the course today. HOPEFULLY I can get up some preliminary numbers for everyone.

I'd be interested in checking it out if I knew it came in a 44.5" length

I'd be interested in checking it out if I knew it came in a 44.5" length

Its kind of unsurprising that it is 45.5" stock since the whole emphasis here is more speed, and more distance.

That said, I just checked the Cobra site and it can be custom ordered to length.

Let’s play guess the peak height.....

a80a0fdd790202d8314d00fb02b12c49.png

I’ll guess 117

44 freaking yards. (132 feet)

Hiiiiiiilariously high. I’ve never hit drives that high in my life.

Hahahaha I have seen 38 yards earlier this year but 44 is next level high. I believe you have what is know in the business as a high launching driver.

Hahahaha I have seen 38 yards earlier this year but 44 is next level high. I believe you have what is know in the business as a high launching driver.

It’s too funny, I’m a 30-32yard guy if I’m lucky, when I hit this one my HS #1 and I just laughed.

The offset is going to be a hard thing for most here to overcome, if not an impossible thing for them, but, it does what it’s designed to and I think there’s a legit place for that for weekend warriors.

Morning bump. I know this one is directed at a niche crowd even here on THP, but still the launch and height is an interesting aspect at play here.

I don’t have the Fmax anymore to compare, I gave it to a HS golfer. But I do have the original Max kicking around somewhere I’ll hit next to this to see if there is really that much advancement.

Its kind of unsurprising that it is 45.5" stock since the whole emphasis here is more speed, and more distance.

That said, I just checked the Cobra site and it can be custom ordered to length.

I'm willing to give up the extra inch which in turn gives me better control and more FWIR

44 yards is NUTS! That’s like a moonball.

How much was your carry improved?

44 yards is NUTS! That’s like a moonball.

How much was your carry improved?

It wasn’t, was definitely a case of diminishing returns.

It wasn’t, was definitely a case of diminishing returns.

Hmmm I wonder what the sweet spot would be for you and if you can find it with this one

Hmmm I wonder what the sweet spot would be for you and if you can find it with this one

On a personal level, it’s not going to be a great fit for me, and not because of the offset. Spins way more on average and actually does launch too high which is fun to say. I need to be in that 30-33 yard window at my SS, 44 is just another level of the stratosphere.

From a design point though, all that tells me it does what it intends to do. It’s aimed at slower swingers wanting to maximize distance, well, a lower swing speeds launch and spin become your friend.

The wildcard here will always be that offset look, if one can get over it, then there is a large segment of beginners and weekend warriors just out to not hit the ball right that would really enjoy it.

This one should be going up in the next day or so, so I will refrain from posting the data as it is in that article.

That said, I'm clearly not the key demo for this (Cobra themselves say it) but I still enjoy trying out these types of clubs and seeing the data. Should be no surprise I saw a more right to left flight, peak heights about 5-7 yards higher than my gamer on average, and spin averages in the mid 3,000's.

That said, since I finished the review on Monday, I put the driver and fairway into the hands of our course manager (65 years old, slower swinger who is silky smooth) and he gained about a clubs distance with it just based on the added spin and launch alone. Pretty cool to see.

I really wish the straight hosel came in the HL.

I think I could build a fantastic thriver with it.

Maybe this one in the driver spot though.

@Jman how would the offset in this compare to the G400 SFT ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back