Cobra Fmax Superlite Offset Fairway - THP Review

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Also in for review is the new 3-wood from the recently released Cobra Fmax Superlite Offset lineup. One of the cool things here is it is a 16.5* loft which given the target audience of the Fmax SL lineup makes a lot of sense. Priced at $199.00 the Fmax SL fairway is all about maximizing distance and forgiveness for, as they state it, moderate swing speeds. As such, the superlite and offset aspect of this will be an interesting fit for me, but, I think it will still be a lot of fun to get on the monitor and see just what kind of speed and launch we are talking about.

Cobra on the Fmax Superlite Offset Fairway:

WHAT IT IS - When it comes to maximizing speed, every gram counts. The F-MAX Superlite fairway is engineered using lighter clubhead, shaft and grip designs to deliver our lightest overall fairway club weight.

WHO IT'S FOR
- The lightweight club design helps golfers with moderate swing speeds and smoother tempos generate effortless club speed with improved feel and stability for longer, more consistent drives.

WHY WE MADE IT
- As golfers age, their swing speed naturally decreases resulting in shorter drives and longer, tougher approach shots. With F-MAX Superlite, we've engineered an extremely lightweight and forgiving driver that is designed to improve feel, speed, and consistency for golfers with moderate swing speeds.

UNIMAGINED SPEED AND FORGIVENESS.
- COBRA's lightest weight fairway construction consists of a 4 gram lighter clubhead, a 5 gram lighter shaft, and a 7 gram lighter grip that yield 16 grams in weight-saving performance, delivering unrivaled distance, forgiveness and launch for moderate swing speeds.

LIGHTER (MIDSIZE) GRIPS
- Features a midsize grip that is popular among golfers seeking more comfort, control and consistency. A lighter and softer rubber compound is utilized to improve feel and grip, while saving 7g of weight.

LIGHTER SHAFTS
- The F-MAX Superlite shaft offers the perfect blend of launch and distance for golfers with moderate swing speeds. A re-engineered profile is 5g lighter and allows for an easier, smoother transition to the ball resulting in more consistent contact.

FORGED 455 STAINLESS STEEL FACE INSERT
- A forged high-strength stainless steel face insert increases ball speed and launch to maximize distance.

SHALLOW FACE PROFILE
- A shallow face profile positions the CG lower to the ground and promotes more dynamic launch for higher, towering trajectories and increased flight time..

CROWN ALIGNMENT FEATURE
- A subtle crown alignment design assists with a square set up at address and provides a visually pleasing detail without it being distracting to the eye.

OFFSET HOSEL DESIGN
- The draw biased design of the offset hosel helps deliver a square face at impact to optimize launch and distance, while correcting rightward shot tendencies.

In-Hand Pictures:

DSC_0242-XL.jpg

DSC_0243-XL.jpg

DSC_0244-XL.jpg

DSC_0245-XL.jpg

DSC_0247-XL.jpg

DSC_0248-XL.jpg

DSC_0249-XL.jpg

Interesting. Not sure if the offset works for me, but otherwise I like the looks.

I thought last year's version hit the mark for what they wanted to accomplish. So I am really looking forward to what you have here.

Nice write up James. The offset is pretty distracting. With the reduction in weight does the club feel ‘whippy’?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Staff
Nice write up James. The offset is pretty distracting. With the reduction in weight does the club feel ‘whippy’?

Will be an interesting one to update on for sure. With the driver, I was mentally prepared for the offset look, with the fairway though, I'll not lie its a little daunting. Going to take it out and hit it today and just go full after it and see what happens. I'm suspecting HIGH with some pretty significant spin from the tee given the shallow face, and also HIGH and easy off the deck with that same shallow face.

I'm not a big "whippy" descriptor fan personally as the waggle test has always been a funny one to me, but, its definitely LIGHT, will be curious to just how the S flex holds up at this weight with my SS.

• Staff
Didn't get this one on the LM as my battery was too low, but, I did hit it a few times.

I can't wait to see the #'s off the deck because MAN does it go high, that shallow face is, IMO, a boon to many who struggle with a fairway off the deck, plus, I have always believed more would benefit from a 16-17* loft than would admit it. But, i digress.

Easy launch for sure, I'm betting it will be a fair amount of spin as well. Visually, the offset in the fairway is way harder for me to get comfortable with for whatever reason, and yes, every single shot of mine went left which was a brave new world for me HA!

More soon!

• Staff
This review will be up in the next day or so, so as I said in the driver thread I will refrain from posting the data as it is in that article.

I'm well outside the target demo here, but this does EXACTLY what it is designed to do and IMO Cobra is the BEST as providing an option for EVERYONE. I watched our course manager (65) who can't elevate a 3w off the deck to save his life hit HIGH draws with this, and smile doing it. Its going to be about putting the ego aside for some and embracing something that COULD make the game more fun for them.

Some in hand pics

Pound town

752006dcfe4835dd263c4ad959627037.jpg

576bdc0a9c70f0ec36baaaf74d5526d7.jpg

2e1d079b24ea467e8366868a45c4e010.jpg

6e4d3d31765e20e1482dfffda448bc46.jpg

Is anyone gaming this club? I have a shallow swing and sweep my current 5w.... Im in full ponder mode with this club. I held it in hand the other day i like the lightness of it and the looks. Im not put off by the offset one bit. Im currently playing my 5 wood at 17* which opens the face so this with its idea of high and left could be very very interesting

Is anyone gaming this club? I have a shallow swing and sweep my current 5w.... Im in full ponder mode with this club. I held it in hand the other day i like the lightness of it and the looks. Im not put off by the offset one bit. Im currently playing my 5 wood at 17* which opens the face so this with its idea of high and left could be very very interesting

It’s perfect for a sweeper with the shallow face, and all youll get is high towering shots. Super easy to hit.

Thanks James. I just read your review on it so thanks for pointing me into the review thread. Really appreciate your response.

Happy to help!!

Similar thoughts to the Superlite fairway, but the offset specific one does scare me a bit lol,

Back