Have You Been to Wyoming?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Or do you live there? Tell me about the state.

High elevation overall. Cold as hell in the winter, wind blows a lot! The terrain is everything from high desert to snow capped peaks. Very beautiful in it's own way.

During the summer it’s really nice. So much to see and visit. A lot of natural beauty and history from one end to the other. Was there in July at the Gand Tetons and walk up to frost on the windshield.

I have. Very scenic, very rural. Home to Yellowstone and the Grand Teton National Parks, which we've been to a handful of times. Jackson hole is a tourist location that tries hard to maintain a quaint feeling. If one is not into the outdoors I'm not sure if it's the state for you. But if you are it is fabulous.

Spent a lot of time there, including living there during the summer a couple times in high school. What do you want to know? Some parts are awesome, some not so much. Jackson area is amazing, but not really Wyoming, haha.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have been wanting to visit but the only time I get off work is between Christmas and New Years. I think it would be a little too cold for hiking and sightseeing that time of year. When I retire I am taking my RV up there and staying for a while. Oregon is on my list as well.

Open space State, that's for sure.

I lived just south of Cheyenne for a few years so I only know the SE part of the state somewhat. Not too bad of a place, nothing to stop the wind though. Summers are nice not to hot it is very dry so not a lot of humidity.

I've been skiing in Jackson Hole which was fantastic. Yellowstone was very cool as well.

Was there this summer, we we t to many parts of the state from Cheyenne, Dubois, Jackson hole, and a couple other small towns. We hiked, I fished and it was wonderful.

In Jackson hole there a burger joint mind off the main drag called McHales and it had some of the best burgers and fries Weve ever had

I've been to Wyoming exactly once. I landed at DEN on January 31st, 2011 and rode a bus to Camp Guernsey (about 100 miles north of Cheyenne). Being January (probably almost February when we arrived) it was cold to say the least. Every bit of glass on the bus was iced over. The windshield was so icey, the driver had to scrape a path for the wipers when we stopped for gas. The first morning when we work up to get breakfast, we had to walk ~1/4 mile to the chow hall. I had 3 layers on the bottom half and 5 layers up top with 3 layers around my head and sunglasses to block my eyes from the wind. When we got the chow hall and go inside, I took off my glasses and had icicles on my eyelashes. It was -17°F and -50°F wind chill. The coldest temperature I've ever felt on both counts.

In the Air Force's infinite wisdom, they had sent me there for pre-deployment training in preparation to go to... Iraq. Yep, that Iraq. Six month later, I'd fall back on that cold weather training when battling the summer temps north of 120°F in the Iraqi desert.

I can see how WY would be a nice place to visit in the summer or maybe autumn or spring, but they can keep the winters.

Ive spent a lot of time in Jackson. Pretty amazing place year round.

I have been a few times.

Most recently was a couple of years ago. Had a work meeting in Denver and drove to Lander to visit in-laws.

Beautiful scenery.

And one of the loneliest stretches of highway I've ever driven.

In some places it almost seems like Mars might more populous.

Great hiking.

I'd like to go back in the near future.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The only thing I know about Wyoming is you have to watch out for aliens.

3a2c1fdffaee42cb0c59ff1ae05dc690.jpg

I've been to Wyoming several times for vacation. First trip was as a kid and we went to the Cheyenne rodeo, stayed at a couple of resorts with hot springs, and visited Yellowstone. I also dated a gal who parents lived in Jackson Hole. The skiing is challenging but the scenery is 2nd to none. The people are nice.

Been thru is several times, beautiful scenery. Lots of wildlife to see depending on time of the year.

My mom grew up in Cody and I saw Superman 4 at a drive in theatre back in the 80’s and drove through a few years ago. That’s it, can’t help ya on what it’s like.

I grew up hunting and fishing southern wyoming. I will say this. If you like wind then Wyoming is for you. I have always said this.... Northern Wyoming is mountain tops and Buffalo, central and southern Wyoming is sage brush and antelope.

Funny story... I had a buddy working for the electrical company in Wyoming. He would be gone for days working on powerlines and never seeing a single person the entire time. He had several different encounters where he knew people were in the area, he knew they were watching him, but he never saw them. It just really started to freak him out and he just ended up quitting. He still says it's one of the best paying jobs he ever had, but no way was he ever doing that again.

My wife's sister and father live in Bozeman so I've been to Montana and Wyoming many times - maybe 15 times to Yellowstone. The fishing is amazing as is the scenery. We love the skiing at Jackson Hole and Grand Targhee enough that we hope to someday have a condo near either area. No state income tax is a bonus!

Wife is from there but we live in New Jersey. Great place to visit, but not to live unless you love outdoor hunting type stuff. Denver area is great and always try to spend a day or two there when we go visit. For the kids sake, we always try to go the last full week in July which is Frontier Days. Largest and longest outdoor rodeo in the US I believe. Not much to see there but mountains, flat land and flat land. So much more to say about the place good and bad depending on where you are from. Definitely a must visit place at least once in your life. The last time I visited in the winter was about 8 years ago and it hit -7*, so I refuse to go back during the winter. Weather gets cold and warm in same day. You can get 2 inches of snow and 30* on Monday and Wednesday it can be gone and 60*.

You can get 2 inches of snow and 30* on Monday and Wednesday it can be gone and 60*.

Heck, you can get that in Jersey. I can't remember how many times we'd get 18" or so of snow and then 2-3 days later it'd be gone the first couple years after I went there (2009-2011ish).

WINDY, at least in the Cheyenne area. Much like Denver, seems like the temperature can change quite drastically day-to-day (from my 3 day exposure in February). I actually have a trial in Cheyenne starting on December 10th. Hoping the snow can hold off until its over...

I lived there for 5 years and loved it. The winters are cold but I've never been anywhere better in the summer time. Lots of outdoors activities and very friendly people. It's definitely not for everyone but I look forward to moving back some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB - what do you want to know? I can be in Wyoming in well under two hours from my front door and, although I've spent more time in some parts of the state than others, I've at least been through most of it.

Back