Ball Flight Height Manipulation

I try to flight in the wind, but I'm not always successful. I've gotten better at taking a step back with my short irons, taking a club more and swinging easy to control distance and flight. I actually spent some time on the range the other day practicing hitting it low, trying to move it right to left and left to right more for fun than anything.

I still really haven't learned how to hit a ball any higher than my stock shot. I often try to flight it in lower and have had a lot of success in doing so, but haven't figured out how to hit it higher yet.

As an added how often do you try to ride the wind compared to holding the wind

On full shots, maybe once or twice a round, more though if its windy. Generally stick to flighting wedges though. I have been working on this though...it's a good thing to have in the bag.

Not very often at all.

A lot, and for various reasons. Tends to be windy here on the Texas Plains, so try and keep it under the wind or minimize the extra carry by hitting it lower. My favorite shots inside of 140 yards is a flighted 3/4 shot of some sort.

I am also forced to hit high or low shots on my home course because of the trees and doglegs. I can hit the "Eldorado wedge" about waist high and anywhere from 25 - 150 yards. Also hit the high shot over the trees regularly.

Last edited:
My normal/natural ball flight is high, so the only time I attempt to hit higher would be a tee shot on a dog leg where I try to cut the corner over trees. I flight the ball down with punch shots out of the rough when trees are in the way pretty often though.

A consistent theme seems to be that the scratch or near scratch players all flight their wedges. That's the part of my game I'm most hoping to improve this year.

How often do you flight your shots? Either by playing them higher or lower than normal?
For example, reaching the same distance but at a lower trajectory to avoid the wind? Never, at least not on purpose. Now, I do bump out from under trees occasionally but that is the extent of my skill set.

When I am behind trees, other than that I just swing.

Off the tee is when I do it most. I'll try to hit it higher if wind is behind me and lower against it. Any other time is if I'm in between clubs, I'll knock down a shot to lose some yardage.

I've been working on controlling my trajectory on and off for a few months. I'm a high ball hitter but there are times a lower flight would suit the shot at hand much better. It's coming along, but I need more practice.

Rarely. I like high ball flights. I think they look pretty. I rarely try to flight it down.

How often do you flight your shots? Either by playing them higher or lower than normal?

Whenever it's needed.

One of my most memorable 2015 shots was after a drive that went left and a little short of a dogleg left. It left me 200 yards out and behind a bunch of trees. There was a high hole in the canape that was maybe 30' in diameter and I hit a high, drawing (had to draw it as the hole didn't line up with the green) 4 hybrid through it and into the front of the green 15' from the pin. Gotta say there is no greater high than visualizing a shot like that and then pulling it off.

A lot of mine is with irons, and usually only the higher lofted irons, like the 8,9, and PW. I hit the ball really high to begin with, but I don't flight it as much as I probably should

I try to flight the ball. Mostly under or over trees or to deal with the wind.

When I first started playing I had a heck of a time getting the ball in the air, so bought "high trajectory" irons. They helped, but my technique has improved and I'm now missing out on some distance by sticking with them. I'm too cheap to buy new ones, so I guess I'll keep hitting the ball like an old man.

I'll flight down into the wind at times just to maintain control and there are times I want a low liner if it is super hard and fast to get a bunch of roll out.

A lot as well. Seems to be the way to go in windy regions. It's part of the art and creativity of the game and useful in different weather conditions, when there are hazards or obstacles you need to go over or under and different pin placements you want to attack.

Not often. It's more with wedges when I'm inside a full swing.

My normal shot is a high ball - I have a little trouble hitting low shots with full swings, but no problem hitting low shots with 3/4 shots with irons and wedges.

Not as often as I'd like...I really want to try and flight my wedges more this year and play more shots where I am not taking less club but swinging harder.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

As often as needed. Hardest part is just staying committed to the shot, especially when you can feel the wind changing as you start to get to the top of your swing. Nothing ever turns out well for me when that happens.

I flight them once in awhile. It's usually because of wind or a tree branch.

I don't flight it much anymore, when I was shooting low scores I'd always bring it in high or low depending on where the flag was on the green, low gave me more release to a back pin and high stopped quick to a front pin. I miss those days.

Back