When the Driver is Not Working?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Had a conversation this morning over coffee with a golfing partner of mine and he was telling me he was buying a new driver because his wasn't working. We went through a run down of what happens to golfers when this takes place and wanted to see where you fall. Assume after a tough but okay warm up, the first few holes are just downright BAD with the driver off the tee. Which of these fits you?

A: Continue hitting it at every chance and expect different results during the round
B: Ditch it and go to the 3 wood for the rest of the round
C: Get very angry and proclaim to your group I never do this, its usually straight
D: Slow Down and try to fix a swing issue
E: Go with the bunt driver and just get one out there
F: Replace it at the store as soon as the round ends

G: Replace the Driver Shaft

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

B or E. Just get the ball in play however necessary and work it out after the round.

A & D. Been going through this for a good while with struggling driver issues. My A answer skips the warm up but does apply to likely bad driver hits on 1 and 3. It will keep coming out on all but 3 short par 4s the rest of the way, good or bad. Too stubborn to do the smart thing.

D & E: Slow down and try to hit a "Chip Driver" to get on out there.

D- slow down and try to fix a swing issue. If I can feel what's going wrong myself (not keeping my head down, wrong ball position in stance) slowing down usually helps. I also ask my playing partners to watch my swing and see if they can see what's going wrong. Asking playing partners can be risky, but my usual partners are pretty good at spotting my errors. If all else fail I go to my 5w (I ditched my 3w, never did get that one right).

D.......and if that doesn't work a modified B with my short driver instead of 3 wood

...and if my short driver is wonky start drinking

B or D and if those both fail for several consecutive rounds then F is in play.

• Admin
G: Replace the Driver Shaft

That wasn't one of the choices.
If someone asks what's your favorite dog breed, you don't say elephant :D

B, then when comfortable I will go D.

Being a beginner, D for sure.

B. Because that’s what I start with anyway. I can’t hit the driver to save my life...

That wasn't one of the choices.
If someone asks what's your favorite dog breed, you don't say elephant :D
Worth a shot to get shot down again...

D for me, however, i turn into an E if i go longer than a couple rounds of complete garbage with the driver.

Its B or D for me. When I go to D, I usually over correct and end up playing a different shot the rest of the round. The word bunt is not in my vocabulary

Im stubborn. I keep using it because the goal is to fix the swing flaw. Now if it was competitive that meant anything real I could then go 3wood. But while in general i can be more consistent with that, its not always the case. But in general im always looking to repair the swing flaw even at the cost of strokes to do so. My driver use to be one the pretty darn consistent clubs I gamed. Until my swing rebuild for some reason I developed this darn right arm/hand casting and Im battling getting rid of that so Im stubbornly staying with that battle and am determined ti get it back where it use to be.

Almost always B. Except if my swing is trash, I might be going down to a 5 iron off the tee just to keep it in the county.

probably d first, which means a is the default as well. the only time i’ll go with b is if there are holes that give you multiple options off the tee; if driver is working i’ll hit, but if it’s suspect i’ll lay back a little. i won’t go with less than driver if it’s going to leave me pretty far back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a casual round it's a combination of A and D to try and fix it since I don't have much to lose. In a competition I'm going with B to keep myself in the event.

A combination of A & D.

Definitely A, along with trying to figure things out as the round progresses, but no need to slow down to do that. Also I find the 'expect different results' portion of choice A to be pretty important if I miss a couple drives right off the bat. Approaching the next tee(s), I'm focused not only on mechanical/tempo 'fixes' but probably more so on recalling and sensing the good drives I've hit in past rounds. I have to think positive to perform well.

Honestly, I do A through E within 2 holes and then get home and jump on eBay looking at new (different) drivers

Depends on what's in front of me. If there are some open lower risk holes coming up I will go with A and if that doesn't still work it's on to B. If tighter holes coming up and confidence is lost then directly to B. I have tried from time to time do D but slowing things down for me at least tends to make the driver swing even worse and you come with your body rotation first and it really screws things up. The only way D works for me is if I actually hit feet together or narrow stance with back foot dropped way behind to make a arms only swing.

Give it a good cussin’ and declare it to be of questionable lineage. Then, I’ll go to the 3W.

A for a while and just hope it's a small timing thing that my brain and body can sort out. I'd nothing starts to click I'm probably going to option B, 3 wood somewhere on the back 9.

Back