Stance Setup Tips

annsguy

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My3Kids
Looking for tips on how to get into my stance. I feel like I get too bend over and out of balance.

Looking for tips on how to get into my stance. I feel like I get too bend over and out of balance.

I will be following this thread. Definitely something I struggle with every time. Tips would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To find a fundamentally sound consistent distance from the ball do the following:

1) hold a golf club in your right hand
2) stand with your feet close together (nearly touching)
3) bend from the hips (not the waist) by sticking your rear pants pockets outward a bit and at the same time relax your knees a touch
4) now your body is in an effective athletic posture with your arms hanging relaxed and loose straight down from your shoulder sockets
5) still holding the club in your right hand, set the club face on the ground in front of your left foot
6) adopt your left hand grip.........followed by adopting your right hand grip
7) move your left foot to your left (so that ball position becomes an inch or so inside your left heel).....move your right foot to your right (wider as the clubs get longer)

The above routine will work well for all golf clubs. When done properly you will notice the shortest clubs require a little bit more relaxing of the knees (to get the club head down to the ground) and you will notice that the length and lie angle of the longest clubs has your arms/hands a little bit higher (at address) than with the shortest clubs.
Your body's "distance from the ball" is essentially the same with all the clubs.

To find a fundamentally sound consistent distance from the ball do the following:

3) bend from the hips (not the waist) by sticking your rear pants pockets outward a bit and at the same time relax your knees a touch
4) now your body is in an effective athletic posture with your arms hanging relaxed and loose straight down from your shoulder sockets
5) still holding the club in your right hand, set the club face on the ground in front of your left foot
7) move your left foot to your left (so that ball position becomes an inch or so inside your left heel).....move your right foot to your right (wider as the clubs get longer)

The above routine will work well for all golf clubs. When done properly you will notice the shortest clubs require a little bit more relaxing of the knees (to get the club head down to the ground) and you will notice that the length and lie angle of the longest clubs has your arms/hands a little bit higher (at address) than with the shortest clubs.
Your body's "distance from the ball" is essentially the same with all the clubs.

On point 5, did you mean set the club in front of the left foot?

I caught a huge problem in my very long preshot routine.
I always hold the club in my left hand during my set up routine. I wonder if that may account for my absurd slice? I can’t say that I have the other steps down perfectly but I am going to make adjustments to step 1 and see if it helps with my alignment.
Thanks!

On point 5, did you mean set the club in front of the left foot?

Yes, meaning the club head is straight out "in front" (not to the left ) of the left foot.
From that positioning of the club head the player finds his ball position by moving his left foot to the left (see point 7). The relationship between left foot and ball (ball position) is the same for all clubs. Stance width is wider for longer clubs, and this is achieved by moving the right foot to the right.

Ben Hogan's Five Lessons is timeless and explains stance, posture, and set-up, allong with equally important golf fundamentals such a grip.

I caught a huge problem in my very long preshot routine.
I always hold the club in my left hand during my set up routine. I wonder if that may account for my absurd slice? I can’t say that I have the other steps down perfectly but I am going to make adjustments to step 1 and see if it helps with my alignment.
Thanks!

Regarding the adoption of your grip, what matters is that the club is first soled and aimed at your target line. Once the club is soled with its face correctly aimed, do not manipulate the face.
Furthermore, a good practice regarding grip technique is to take a minute and stand before a mirror with your arms hanging down, relaxed at your sides. Next, take notice of the angle in which your hands are naturally hanging.
This natural position of your hands (as they look when your arms are relaxed and hanging along the sides of your body) is essentially the way you want your hands positioned when holding/gripping a golf club.
This is how the hands appear when adopting a fundamentally sound golf grip. It is essentially a "natural" positioning of the hands/wrists, with nothing contrived or manipulated.
The reason it is helpful to adopt your grip from the club head soled position is that otherwise (for example adopting the grip with the club head in the air in front of you) players have a tendency to manipulate their shoulders/arms/wrists/hands while trying to align the club face.

Love this thread. I use to have a stance in which I would be bent over quite a bit, but I have since found that by bringing the ball in closer to me and going more upright has given me much better accuracy and and more distance

Worked on setting up this way while pitching this morning. Different grip for me, but was amazed at how comfortable it was to just reach out and grab the club. Taking the time to set up, I was able to swing clean more often than not. Will keep working on it (especially with the longer clubs), but initially provided cleaner strokes and wasn't a complicated or uncomfortable change. Thank you

Worked on setting up this way while pitching this morning. Different grip for me, but was amazed at how comfortable it was to just reach out and grab the club. Taking the time to set up, I was able to swing clean more often than not. Will keep working on it (especially with the longer clubs), but initially provided cleaner strokes and wasn't a complicated or uncomfortable change. Thank you

You're welcome:glasses-cool:

Grip technique photo.

Attachments

• IMG_5361.JPG
    IMG_5361.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 0
I generally get my left hand on the club. Then with my feet close together address the ball. Look left at the target and get my alignment. Then I set the club head behind the ball and step my feet out to where they feel right. I then put my right hand on the ball, check the target, waggle a couple times, and hit the shot.

Back