An end of the season observation

luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
This has been my first full season with a new set of irons. I purchased them in mid-season last year and I was trying to get use to them, hoping that eventually they would help improve my game. But now that I have used these irons for a full year, it's obvious that they haven't performed for me in the way that I had hoped they would. My previous set up of a mixed bag of irons worked much better for me than this new set. It's sad, especially since I finally got my driving game on track which had previously been my biggest weak link in my game. Now it's reversed and my short game has now become my weakest link. If I'm still healthy after winter is over, I'll be in the market for a better set of irons.

This has been my first full season with a new set of irons. I purchased them in mid-season last year and I was trying to get use to them, hoping that eventually they would help improve my game. But now that I have used these irons for a full year, it's obvious that they haven't performed for me in the way that I had hoped they would. My previous set up of a mixed bag of irons worked much better for me than this new set. It's sad, especially since I finally got my driving game on track which had previously been my biggest weak link in my game. Now it's reversed and my short game has now become my weakest link. If I'm still healthy after winter is over, I'll be in the market for a better set of irons.

Based on what data do you make that observation?

It may be those irons aren't right for you. But it may also be they just need to be bent a bit, or it may be the shaft is wrong. You might still end up in new irons, but you're in danger of ending up with another set that "didn't work" if you don't base your decision on at least some sort of data.

Based on what data do you make that observation?

It may be those irons aren't right for you. But it may also be they just need to be bent a bit, or it may be the shaft is wrong. You might still end up in new irons, but you're in danger of ending up with another set that "didn't work" if you don't base your decision on at least some sort of data.

Based on what I observed when playing with my old set of irons. My accuracy and dialed in distance with my old set in contrast to what I observe with my new set. With the new set, I hit too many shots to the right of the greens. When I make a slight adjustment I go left of the greens. With my old set I would be able to hit on line with the pins most of the time. Not so with the new set.

Based on what I observed when playing with my old set of irons. My accuracy and dialed in distance with my old set in contrast to what I observe with my new set. With the new set, I hit too many shots to the right of the greens. When I make a slight adjustment I go left of the greens. With my old set I would be able to hit on line with the pins most of the time. Not so with the new set.

Which model shaft (s) were in your former iron set versus your current iron set ?

Which model shaft (s) were in your former iron set versus your current iron set ?

I haven't a clue. I only know they were a mixed set.

Did you have the lie angles checked (or get fit to see what lie you should be playing) A few years ago I had been hitting my shots to the right of the green consistently, had the lie checked, turns out they were too flat. Bent to 2 upright and it was all good after that.

A lot of people experience a freshmen slump sort of thing with new irons. I don't think you have enough information to say that the irons caused your game to drop off a bit this year. As nearly everyone else has mentioned, specs play a massive factor in relation to your swing. If your new set isn't set up exactly as your old set, how can you expect it to play the same, let alone better (based on your original post, it seems you expected the clubs themselves to improve your game?)

Over the course of a year your swing can change as well. Perhaps you're doing something new that you haven't noticed.

It's also very possible (given that you have not provided any information in terms of make/model/specs) that your new set may be more off set, or have a slightly closed face, which if played the same as your previous set could promote missing to the left.

Figure out what it was that you liked about the old set, and transfer it into the new set. Until you do that, I don't think you can blame the clubs.

A lot of people experience a freshmen slump sort of thing with new irons. I don't think you have enough information to say that the irons caused your game to drop off a bit this year.

I have played approximately 40 rounds with them now. How many rounds will it take?

What I mean by information is the specs to compare the two sets to which you refer.

E.g. if your old set played standard length and 2° flat, and your new set is 1/2" short and standard lie, why would you expect them to be the same?

Posted on Tapatalk via my Motorola RAZR

What I mean by information is the specs to compare the two sets to which you refer.

E.g. if your old set played standard length and 2° flat, and your new set is 1/2" short and standard lie, why would you expect them to be the same?

My last set of irons were not actually a set of irons. They were a mixture of various brands of clubs with various grips and shafts, yet they all seemed to work pretty well for me. Now that I have an actual set of irons, 5-PW, the only one that works half way decent for me is the 9 iron. How do you explain that?

as others have said, get the specs checked. length, lie, loft, and swingweight.

Im not explaining anything. I'm saying just the opposite. You're trying to justify something completely different from what you had previously without anything whatsoever to back it up.

The bottom line is clubs don't make you a better player. You may be able to find similar results if you can match the specs to your old clubs.

Im not explaining anything. I'm saying just the opposite. You're trying to justify something completely different from what you had previously without anything whatsoever to back it up.

The bottom line is clubs don't make you a better player. You may be able to find similar results if you can match the specs to your old clubs.

How can I match the specs on my new clubs with the old clubs when the old clubs were a variety of different clubs, with different brand names, and different sorts of shafts?

You don't know the specs of your old clubs other than different shafts and heads. So start there. Figure out what is what.

Maybe find the clubs from the old set that give you the best results and match your new set to those specs

There's lots of ways to make your clubs work for you rather than tossing them aside.

Maybe find the clubs from the old set that give you the best results and match your new set to those specs

That's a problem. I no longer have those clubs

My last set of irons were not actually a set of irons. They were a mixture of various brands of clubs with various grips and shafts, yet they all seemed to work pretty well for me. Now that I have an actual set of irons, 5-PW, the only one that works half way decent for me is the 9 iron. How do you explain that?

I remember discussing with you in other threads. It was the very definition of a "mixed bag."

It can take a while to get used to a set of clubs - sometimes a few years. That has been my experience with the five sets of irons I've owned before my current gamers. Sets 4 and 5 were fitted for length, lie, and grip. Set #6 is the M4s I am testing for THP. I've hit them well literally out of the box, and yet these "standard" irons are too short, too flat, and too small-gripped for me. I will probably start a thread over the winter to discuss this phenomenon.

It happens to me, and a lot of THPers, that sometimes, "believing is seeing." Or, as Yogi Berra once observed, "Ninety percent of this game is half mental." How many posts on THP contain words to the effect of "If I'm not comfortable with how it looks at address, I'm not going to hit it well, no matter how well it's fit for me or how much tech is in the club." On the other side, I can be in the middle of a round after all of the wheels have come off, and I can pull out my 5 wood and feel as though I'm going to hit a very good shot. And, often, I do. There could be some of that going on for you, as it goes on for almost all of us.

I remember discussing with you in other threads. It was the very definition of a "mixed bag."

It can take a while to get used to a set of clubs - sometimes a few years. That has been my experience with the five sets of irons I've owned before my current gamers.

I appreciate your thoughts on this. I now have been using my irons for 1 1/2 years and they still haven't met my expectations. Now that I will be turning 70 years old in four months, I don't know how many more years I will still be healthy enough to play the sport. If I remain healthy. I probably will work with these irons at the dome this winter and see if I can become more familiar with them before next season, since this golf season has come to an abrupt end in my region.

I appreciate your thoughts on this. I now have been using my irons for 1 1/2 years and they still haven't met my expectations. Now that I will be turning 70 years old in four months, I don't know how many more years I will still be healthy enough to play the sport. If I remain healthy. I probably will work with these irons at the dome this winter and see if I can become more familiar with them before next season, since this golf season has come to an abrupt end in my region.

I've a ways to go before I see 70, but I get it. One of the things I like about my indoor golf place is that I get some nice launch monitor data - it's not complete, but I can see my clubhead speed, path, launch angle, and smash factor - which has helped me to improve my swing.

Back