Importance of Course Management

Antihero

Reaction score
Handicap
A question for those who have gone from a 20 HC to 10 or less---How much of the improvement was due to improved course management/different ways of approaching the game for optimal score?

What were the key takeaways?

I recently took a lesson from a good PGA pro.

During the lesson we played a few holes and he said that I think like a 20 HC and need to learn to start thinking like a 10 if I plan to get there anytime soon.

He shared a couple of examples--- I'm curious to hear yours.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hes right.

Few things, play to your ability especially if you are playing in a group that is better than you. Seeing them curve a ball around a tree or cut a corner on a dog leg off the tee probably isn't a good idea if you don't think you can pull it off.

Short game, keep it simple. Trying to pull off tour quality shots probably isn't in the books. Instead of always pulling your highest lofted club for chipping or pitching, learn to bump and run. Keep it on the ground.

If you get in trouble, take your medicine and get out of it the best way to put yourself back in position. I know most try to advance it, but sometimes the risk of trying to advance it can cause much more damage than putting the ball back out in the short grass and advancing from there.

Putting, you don't have to try and make every putt from 10 ft out. Get it to 2-3 ft at least. Practice lag putting.

If the driver isn't working that day, find something that will get you off the tee even if its 50-75 yards even more less. At least you are in the fairway and you have a chance to advance from the short grass.

Last mentally....take the highs with the lows. As a high capper, you know your going to go arrant at some point, at that point refer to taking your medicine again.

A question for those who have gone from a 20 HC to 10 or less---How much of the improvement was due to improved course management/different ways of approaching the game for optimal score?

What were the key takeaways?

I recently took a lesson from a good PGA pro.

During the lesson we played a few holes and he said that I think like a 20 HC and need to learn to start thinking like a 10 if I plan to get there anytime soon.

He shared a couple of examples--- I'm curious to hear yours.

Moving from a 20 handicap to 10 handicap may be 100% course management.

Moving from a 20 handicap to 10 handicap may be 100% course management.
In what key ways?

Happen to have a short list to share?

It depends on why that person has a high HC. If he/she 3 putts 15/18 greens then that is a ton of strokes, cut that in half and you just shaved off 7/8 strokes per round. Maybe that high HC is a terrible chipper, again if you have to chip twice on everything that hurts.
Identifying the errors or where you are losing the strokes is the first thing to do. A lot of people don't see that as course management but IMO it is.

Despite being a very long hitter (then, not now), I decided to never go for a par-5 in two unless I had iron in my hand AND was comfortable with the risk assessment.

I played the ball down, left LW in the bag save for shots that absolutely demanded it.

I teed my ball on the same side of trouble (OB right, tee right side of box, water left, tee left, etc) so as I could better hit away from it off the tee.

No hero shots. None, zero, zip. I adopted a good shot/great shot philosophy that I still use today. If it would take a great shot to achieve the desired result, I wouldn't take it. If it would require a good/solid shot to realize success, I'd fire away. Didn't work out lots of times of course but criticizing my decision making was never a thing.

**Sound judgment over desired result.**

And I stayed positive. Just like everyone else, I always hope that "today's the day" on the 1st tee. But I also accept that bad days are simply an inevitable reality in golf, regardless of one's skill level. So if things go sideways, I stay positive and keep grinding. During a lost round, I changed my focus to smaller goals within the round in order to offer myself the opportunity for mental victories when overall score is destined to disappoint.

Also, when in doubt, I always took extra club.

In what key ways?

Happen to have a short list to share?

I've observed most 20 handicap players consistently choosing an inappropriate club for shots from the tee box, for the second shot, for the green side chip and pitch etc.... Those club selection mistakes alone can easily add up to 10 or more shots per round.
And choosing sensible lines of play is another major area where bogey shooting players are much different from par shooting players. For example, the guy with a 72 scoring average is often playing for the fat of the fairway, the fat of the green, and has an awareness of where he wants his miss to lay. The 85 or higher shooter is usually just firing away at a target without giving much thought to where he wants to leave his ball (in case of a mishit shot). This difference in thinking can easily amount to 5 or more shots per round.

So as I am improving this is starting to make sense to me. A great example was Saturday night while I was piddling around on the course I live on. I was on a par 3. Pin is back right with a bunker front right and a backstop behind the green. Probably about +15' elevation change. I can get there if I crush a 7 iron. I can hit over if I crush a 6 iron. A 7 iron miss though will go short and if I am trying to crush it I won't put my best swing on it. Left of the green is just open area where a chip would be real easy. I play smart. I aim at a tree behind the left side of the green, I pull away more upright because I know this will cause me to swipe the ball out to in just a hair and that's all I think about. From there I just swing it. I put nice solid contact on it the ball starts out right at the tree and fades right into the middle of the green. Leaving me with a 15' birdie uphill birdie putt to that back right pin. Last year I would have aimed at the pin and tried to crush my 7 iron on a strait line. I might have pulled it off, but the chance to make a bad mistake would have been 2-3 times more likely.

This is a great thread topic that i will be watching. I played this weekend and told my wife yesterday no driver the lost balls are killing my scores.I was good with it till the last hole and hit the driver lost the ball lol. I think course management is huge and actually scheduled a playing lesson for later this month. I am excited to learn and read what all of you have to say.

I've observed most 20 handicap players consistently choosing an inappropriate club for shots from the tee box, for the second shot, for the green side chip and pitch etc.... Those club selection mistakes alone can easily add up to 10 or more shots per round.
And choosing sensible lines of play is another major area where bogey shooting players are much different from par shooting players. For example, the guy with a 72 scoring average is often playing for the fat of the fairway, the fat of the green, and has an awareness of where he wants his miss to lay. The 85 or higher shooter is usually just firing away at a target without giving much thought to where he wants to leave his ball (in case of a mishit shot). This difference in thinking can easily amount to 5 or more shots per round.

Good call. Managing your misses is key also. Another good tip is to shoot for the middle of the green on most approaches or at least if you are going to go at a pin make sure you miss on a certain side. Same with a fairway, say you have water all along left side of the fairway tee your ball on the left side of the tee and aim down the middle giving yourself more room to miss.

So as I am improving this is starting to make sense to me. A great example was Saturday night while I was piddling around on the course I live on. I was on a par 3. Pin is back right with a bunker front right and a backstop behind the green. Probably about +15' elevation change. I can get there if I crush a 7 iron. I can hit over if I crush a 6 iron. A 7 iron miss though will go short and if I am trying to crush it I won't put my best swing on it. Left of the green is just open area where a chip would be real easy. I play smart. I aim at a tree behind the left side of the green, I pull away more upright because I know this will cause me to swipe the ball out to in just a hair and that's all I think about. From there I just swing it. I put nice solid contact on it the ball starts out right at the tree and fades right into the middle of the green. Leaving me with a 15' birdie uphill birdie putt to that back right pin. Last year I would have aimed at the pin and tried to crush my 7 iron on a strait line. I might have pulled it off, but the chance to make a bad mistake would have been 2-3 times more likely.

What you've written is good sense course management. You can add to that by remembering to stay aware throughout your rounds of golf. Specifically, learn from your pre round range warm-up and, or, the first few holes of each round. Those shots are telling you about your swing, what you have that day, and they help you with club selection and choosing line of play for that round's future shots.

Despite being a very long hitter (then, not now), I decided to never go for a par-5 in two unless I had iron in my hand AND was comfortable with the risk assessment.

I played the ball down, left LW in the bag save for shots that absolutely demanded it.

I teed my ball on the same side of trouble (OB right, tee right side of box, water left, tee left, etc) so as I could better hit away from it off the tee.

No hero shots. None, zero, zip. I adopted a good shot/great shot philosophy that I still use today. If it would take a great shot to achieve the desired result, I wouldn't take it. If it would require a good/solid shot to realize success, I'd fire away. Didn't work out lots of times of course but criticizing my decision making was never a thing.

**Sound judgment over desired result.**

And I stayed positive. Just like everyone else, I always hope that "today's the day" on the 1st tee. But I also accept that bad days are simply an inevitable reality in golf, regardless of one's skill level. So if things go sideways, I stay positive and keep grinding. During a lost round, I changed my focus to smaller goals within the round in order to offer myself the opportunity for mental victories when overall score is destined to disappoint.

Also, when in doubt, I always took extra club.

All good stuff you've written here!
Although I disagree with your phrase "sound judgement over desired result". Wasn't your "desired result" to significantly lower your scoring average ? I imagine it was , so in fact you achieved your desired result.
Remembering that the round is 18 holes (not a single shot or single hole) is a major factor of good course management.

Focus - and if you get off a bad shot, then put it behind you and clear it from your mind. Stay positive and make your next shot a good one.

On your 2nd shot don't try to clear that water hazard that runs across the FW at 185 yds out when you know that your chances of making the shot are approx. 1 in out of 7 attempts. Layup and save strokes.

Don't aim for that pin that's on the back side of the green and have your ball go long. Instead, aim for the front of the green, or just short of the front of the green and allow your ball to roll onto the green

Try to position your ball so your next shot gives you a better angle to your target

It depends on why that person has a high HC. If he/she 3 putts 15/18 greens then that is a ton of strokes, cut that in half and you just shaved off 7/8 strokes per round. Maybe that high HC is a terrible chipper, again if you have to chip twice on everything that hurts.
Identifying the errors or where you are losing the strokes is the first thing to do. A lot of people don't see that as course management but IMO it is.
I have Arccos data that spells most of that out.

It's interesting data.

For example, I average 37.4 putts/round.

According to Arccos, that puts me around ~13 HC range.

I also miss over 50% of greens short.

This is particularly frustrating as I've begun to take longer clubs into the green yet GIR stats have not yet improved over last few weeks or so.

My biggest opportunity is off the tee per Arccos.

I am able to hit the ball a decent distance (Arccos tells me my driver "smart distance" is 264).

Ironically, that hurts me more than it helps. Not uncommon for me to drive into trouble or past doglegs, etc.

My coach indicates it would be better for me to take shorter clubs off the tee even if it leaves me with long approaches.

He also indicates being MORE aggressive from 100 and in is key to better scores.

An example: I hit a solid drive leaving me 65 yards with a pin on the front side of the green.

I pulled out my 50* and set up aiming near center of the green planning to bump and run just to ensure I got it on the green so I could 2 putt for par.

He indicates I should be hole hunting and striving to make the bird instead. Insists that over time getting solid with wedges is a major key to much lower scores (and that striving to learn these shots is vital).

In other words he advocates for a more conservative tee and approach shot strategy only to get much more aggressive from 100 and in.

This sparked my curiosity to hear from other THP'ers.

I say it's critical. For me learning how to navigate the course by eliminating hazards altogether was critical to getting my scores where they are.
Example: 350 yard par 4 with water all the way up the right starting 190 yards away, deep bunkers left. I used to pull driver here regardless and just take my chances that I wouldn't miss the fairway. I made some pars, a few birdies, and way too many doubles.
Now I play this same hole with a 5i off the tee, and then a 7-8 iron approach. I make less birdies on the hole but I have never doubled it since making the switch. No matter where I hit that 5i I will be able to find and play the ball.

I say it's critical. For me learning how to navigate the course by eliminating hazards altogether was critical to getting my scores where they are.
Example: 350 yard par 4 with water all the way up the right starting 190 yards away, deep bunkers left. I used to pull driver here regardless and just take my chances that I wouldn't miss the fairway. I made some pars, a few birdies, and way too many doubles.
Now I play this same hole with a 5i off the tee, and then a 7-8 iron approach. I make less birdies on the hole but I have never doubled it since making the switch. No matter where I hit that 5i I will be able to find and play the ball.

Excellent !

It's interesting data.

This is particularly frustrating as I've begun to take longer clubs into the green yet GIR stats have not yet improved over last few weeks or so.

I am able to hit the ball a decent distance (Arccos tells me my driver "smart distance" is 264).

Ironically, that hurts me more than it helps. Not uncommon for me to drive into trouble or past doglegs, etc.

My coach indicates it would be better for me to take shorter clubs off the tee even if it leaves me with long approaches.

He also indicates being MORE aggressive from 100 and in is key to better scores.

An example: I hit a solid drive leaving me 65 yards with a pin on the front side of the green.

I pulled out my 50* and set up aiming near center of the green planning to bump and run just to ensure I got it on the green so I could 2 putt for par.

He indicates I should be hole hunting and striving to make the bird instead. Insists that over time getting solid with wedges is a major key to much lower scores (and that striving to learn these shots is vital).

In other words he advocates for a more conservative tee and approach shot strategy only to get much more aggressive from 100 and in.

I agree with the advice your coach has given you, very sound.
However, until your wedge play is consistently accurate, I like your strategy of playing towards the center of greens. Are you sure your coach advocates flag hunting with your wedges (even though your accuracy consistency with wedges is not yet where you want it?)

All good stuff you've written here!
Although I disagree with your phrase "sound judgement over desired result". Wasn't your "desired result" to significantly lower your scoring average ? I imagine it was , so in fact you achieved your desired result.
Remembering that the round is 18 holes (not a single shot or single hole) is a major factor of good course management.
Thanks.

By desired, I actually meant longed for, dreamt of.

Sound judgment over the hope for glory.

I agree with the advice your coach has given you, very sound.
However, until your wedge play is consistently accurate, I like your strategy of playing towards the center of greens. Are you sure your coach advocates flag hunting with your wedges (even though your accuracy consistency with wedges is not yet where you want it?)
He does indicate that is the direction I should go---despite my being, in his (accurate) estimation, "not very good with wedges."

Being that we have focused 95% of lessons on full swing mechanics to date---It is fair and not intended as derogatory. Just fact.

We spent some time learning some wedge techniques and he feels I should practice and play to execute---With the thought that some quick wins would come AFTER some inevitable scoring setbacks. This includes using higher lofted shots when lie allows.

All seems to make sense.

But it does seem to run counter to some other approaches others take such as (paraphrasing) "Hit it long so you can use the shortest approach club possible."

I think in oredr to get to10 (or better) you certainy cant manage poorly and have to be smart as strokes just cannot be wasted. I know its course dependant (rating/slope) but is it safe to assume a 10 capper generally could be shooting about 79 to 86 on a regular basis? Maybe an average of 82/83? Whatever the case, there are only so many strokes one can loose so its just far too detrimental to lose any strokes due to poor decisions as thier will be enough lost due to failing to execute.

But that said,..... I dont think good managing is the onlt thing that is required to make one a 10. I suppose for some people its possible. But as said, there are only so many strokes one can lose and only so many failures of executuing shots that can be absorbed while still maintining a cap of 10. One has to have some skill of course and one thing even more important than skill is the abiity to repeat that skill consistantly enough far more often than failing at it. The room for error just isnt much at all. So even with good managing a 10 cap is still not an easy thing to be nor maintain. At least for most people. I understand it doesnt mean a par on every hole of course but you cant bogey every one either. And if you double a couple or more it just most likely isnt going to happen unless the birds make up for them.

So Ill sort of end where I began. Imo most people will not be a 10 with poor managing and bad decisions, but good, smart managing doesnt make you one because thats just not only what it requires.

I don't try the "hero" shot...if I haven't practiced/executed the shot before, I won't take the shot.

I don't go for sucker pins...middle of the green instead.

I take what the golf course gives me...I don't try to mold the golf course to me.

It's interesting data.

So IMO your goal should be to get your putts down to 32 per round that is 5 strokes a round better. Practice on the clock drill, on a flat spot on the green. 10 3 footers, 10 6 footers, 10 9 footer and 10 12 footers. Try to get to at leas 50% before you move back distance. Anything over 10-12 feet you just want close enough to tap in. Lag putts are huge!!! Even if from 30 feet if you can lag inside 5 feet you will make most of those putts. (my grint avg is 32 per round)

On your 65 yard example, I would use my 50* also, but I'm going straight for that pin depending on where it is on green and what is in front of it (bunker or water) Knowing how far you can hit your wedges is key. Full swing, 3/4 swing and half swings. I will fly it to that pin. (I only avg 48% GIR)

I think your coach is correct, if you get in trouble off the tee then you have to make a terrific shot to get back to green. Hence the course management.

Practice putts and wedges from 125 yards and in. Short game is key to scoring well.

All good stuff written here. Course management, I think, comes into play when you're able to consistently hit the ball close to where you aim, and when you have a consistent ball flight (straight, draw, fade). It can be very frustrating to play "smart," only to see your smart shot end up where you didn't want it to go. I know I can't reach par 5's in two any more, and some of the guys I play with kind of smirk when I lay up with a 5 or 6 iron, to leave a 100 yard (PW) approach, while they swing away and leave themselves 40 or 50 yard half wedges. Handicaps come down when you learn to play to your strengths.

He does indicate that is the direction I should go---despite my being, in his (accurate) estimation, "not very good with wedges."

Being that we have focused 95% of lessons on full swing mechanics to date---It is fair and not intended as derogatory. Just fact.

We spent some time learning some wedge techniques and he feels I should practice and play to execute---With the thought that some quick wins would come AFTER some inevitable scoring setbacks. This includes using higher lofted shots when lie allows.

All seems to make sense.

But it does seem to run counter to some other approaches others take such as (paraphrasing) "Hit it long so you can use the shortest approach club possible."

For my own game I do not differentiate wedge swings from any other iron (or hybrid or metal wood). I believe the grip-posture-and alignment are essentially the exact same for all clubs (not including putter).
For my own range practice , from a bucket of 60 balls, 35 to 40 of them will be struck with my 49* and 54* wedges. For me these wedge shots include some full turn-pivot swings as well as some 3/4 length swings, and half carry distance type swings. If on the full turn-pivot swings my quality of contact is excellent then I know when I pick up a 7-iron or 5-iron or hybrid or metal wood that the shots with those clubs will also have good quality contact.
The benefit to making most of the range swings with wedges is that this promotes and breeds good tempo for all the clubs within the bag. Also, lots of wedge swings has a way of sharpening up the wedge game and the player ends up becoming very familiar with his wedge trajectories, carry distances, accuracy miss tendencies etc...
For anyone who decides to start making the majority of their range sessions done with wedges, the key point to remember is that you must be discriminating in your assessment of your shot making. Since wedges (or other short irons) have so much loft, a slight mishit is often easy to ignore. Only if you are striking the wedges purely, with excellent quality contact, is the swing ready to produce quality contact shots with the longer clubs.
Regarding the folks that say "hit it long so you can use the shortest club possible"............ please ignore them.
If your goal is to shoot lower scores then proceed as your coach has been guiding you, as he is advocating the tried and true traditional approach to lower scoring.

Last edited:
So IMO your goal should be to get your putts down to 32 per round that is 5 strokes a round better. Practice on the clock drill, on a flat spot on the green. 10 3 footers, 10 6 footers, 10 9 footer and 10 12 footers. Try to get to at leas 50% before you move back distance. Anything over 10-12 feet you just want close enough to tap in. Lag putts are huge!!! Even if from 30 feet if you can lag inside 5 feet you will make most of those putts. (my grint avg is 32 per round)

On your 65 yard example, I would use my 50* also, but I'm going straight for that pin depending on where it is on green and what is in front of it (bunker or water) Knowing how far you can hit your wedges is key. Full swing, 3/4 swing and half swings. I will fly it to that pin. (I only avg 48% GIR)

I think your coach is correct, if you get in trouble off the tee then you have to make a terrific shot to get back to green. Hence the course management.

Practice putts and wedges from 125 yards and in. Short game is key to scoring well.
I think you're right on all accounts---particularly lag putting.

Embarrassingly, I average 2.2 putts/GIR vs. 2.0 overall.

Lag putting for me is a score killer--But will be interesting to see how much that can be impacted with focused practice AND more aggressive wedge play.

Back