Using cellular instead of cable for Internet

No skillz

Reaction score
Handicap
My cable company is constantly upping my bill and are heinous to work with and I want to be done with them. I am considering going to Unlimited Cellular Data and using my I-devices as a Personal Hotspot. About the only thing we use that i question is Internet services like Netflix, Hulu, and Shutterfly (for the wife so this better work if I do it!)

Has as anyone out there done this? If so, how did it go for you?

I don't know who you have for your cell provider, but even with most modern "unlimited" plans you're going to be throttled down once you hit a bandwidth cap. And that's going to be lower than cable, since the assumption is you're using data on one device.

How many non-phone devices are you going to be using? I've found that the hotspot doesn't work great with more than a couple things pulling down data, and the device gets pretty hot.

It'll be a legit option once 5G is the standard.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

Verizon is my cellular carrier. The wife and 2 teenage girls use the internet TV frequently so a negative impact there will be painful for me! We have 4 TVs but everyone has multiple I-devices to connect with.

Verizon is my cellular carrier. The wife and 2 teenage girls use the internet TV frequently so a negative impact there will be painful for me! We have 4 TVs but everyone has multiple I-devices to connect with.

It's possible each line would get throttled after like 20 GB in a given month. If that is the only course of internet access available, you'd be surprised how quickly that goes. Then it's back to 3G possibly. All depends on usage, really.

We do this and hit our limit day one and get throttled back usually. Can still stream things ok, but it's not ideal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

We cut the cable and just maintained out internet service, then we stream all of our TV via YouTubeTV.com. $40/month gets us all the channels we want and it travels with us to both our homes, so no need for cable TV in either state. It travels well on vacation to as long as our lodging has wifi. We stream our viewing on our phone or laptop via our ISP (on Google Chrome) and then cast to the big screen via Chromecast dongles. I know it's not the solution you're thinking of, but the cost savings was significant. We just pay for internet and cell service. No land lines, no cable TV. YouTubeTV (not the YouTube app on your smart TV) also records shows so you can watch then anytime. You'd have to buy a Chromecast dongle ($35) for every TV you'll use. We take one with us on travel too.

My highest data usage on cable has been 300GB with the average around 200 GB per month. Probably gonna get throttled down, huh??

My highest data usage on cable has been 300GB with the average around 200 GB per month. Probably gonna get throttled down, huh??
I think our limit is 10gb per device a month.

My current cellular plan is for 20GB for my wife and 2 girls. Would definitely have to go Unlimited just don’t know if the TV portion would get throttled and be a no-go for the girls.

My current cellular plan is for 20GB for my wife and 2 girls. Would definitely have to go Unlimited just don’t know if the TV portion would get throttled and be a no-go for the girls.
What I meant is it gets throttled at 10gb per device. I have unlimited.

My cable company is constantly upping my bill and are heinous to work with and I want to be done with them. I am considering going to Unlimited Cellular Data and using my I-devices as a Personal Hotspot. About the only thing we use that i question is Internet services like Netflix, Hulu, and Shutterfly (for the wife so this better work if I do it!)

Has as anyone out there done this? If so, how did it go for you?

Bad news for you; cellular providers know customers want to do this. Bandwidth throttling and pricing models make it a pretty poor option for anything but a short term solution.

Run the numbers, but it is highly unlikely to look favorable to go cellular only.

My Verizon rep told me they start throttling at around 12g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back