Ball Flight Height Manipulation

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
How often do you flight your shots? Either by playing them higher or lower than normal?

I'd say a decent amount. I find myself in the trees or behind a tree quite often.

Often and when needed or at least I try to. No sense in always hitting the high towering flighted ball if it's not needed.

Timely topic. My golf instructor has been having me work on that to help with awkward shots out on the golf course (over trees, under trees etc...). For me, by learning all the mechanics behind it, i can hit 'regular' shots a little better. The course i normally play at has no trees, so keeping it out of the wind as much as possible is helpful as well.

Lol ^. That made me laugh because I'm no stranger to that scenario.

This last year it's been pretty windy where I live so I've had to hit lower shots quite a bit. I'd say if I'm looking to manipulate flight, 98% it's trying to flight it down. 2% for higher shots.

In pressure situations I'll club up and hit a 3/4 knock down shots because that was the first shot I ever learned. I call them slingers by my partners cuz they are usually low and curve right to left :).

almost never. maybe once a round. unless you're talking about short game pitches.

All of my shots are naturally high. I'm trying to learn to keep them low when needed . Especially in the wind.

Jack

A lot. I love to flight my wedges.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

I don't flight them to much or very often. It's a shot by shot basis and need. I play in the wind a LOT so factor do come up.

I would like to be able to flight the ball. I don't even begin to know where to start. I'd love to be able to hit the driver lower into a head wind. But it's just luck for me if it happens. With irons, I no flighting for me either. I'd like to when there is a head wind or a tree to get over. If there is a tree to get over, I take a higher lofted club and play to leave it short. Unless it's less than 90 yard shot then I full swing my 58* and that gets over pretty much any tree I need to. However if hitting a knock down 4i under trees is flighting, then I guess I have 1 shot I flight.

Depends on the season, when the wind is up like it is now I flight the ball down a lot more than I would like to.

I have absolutely no clue on how to manipulate ball flight. I have a hard enough time simply hitting it in the air most of the time.

Most of time I try to limit my flighting to wedges, even if I am playing in wind. The biggest issue I face is increased spin, which I really can't afford. I'd rather float one through the wind than spin it lower into the same wind.

Something I'll be working on this year for sure.

The only time I attempt it is if I'm behind a tree or something I need to stay under, otherwise I'm not confident enough to pull something off.

I only do it when absolutely necessary due to tree trouble or the like. I play a decent knockdown, and can play the ball a bit higher when needed, but my stock shot is much more reliable than either, so it's very rare for me to try either when not necessary. I will tee the ball down a bit when hitting dead into the wind.

Only time I do is if I have to punch out from under trees or bushes, so a good amount of times a round. lol.

For me, pretty much everything inside 150ish. My natural shot is very high and I so I'll usually club up and play little controlled punch shots.

I only flight the ball when i'm in trouble off the tee and need to keep the ball low and have it run out. I rarely try a flop unless i have the right lie to attempt the shot.

I can hit the ball low when needed but hitting it higher is not in the books for me

Great timing JB, I have struggled hitting the ball low could always launch the ball high and even higher when need be. But not having the low shot hurt my game and scores. Last weekend it clicked on the course after a solid month of working on it in practice. My normal ball flight was no longer as high as what it was and was what most would call normal and I could hit an even lower shot when needed.

The more tricks up the sleeve one has makes playing more fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't really try to change my flight, I just try to be consistent haha on occasion I can go lower but I'm not 100% confident with it and I'll never try higher haha that's with full shots I mean. With wedges and pitch / chips and I can go higher/ lower around the greens but that's not too hard.

I do but I am terrible flighting wedges. One of the things I am going to work on this season. I want a nice easy low one bounce stop wedge.

i spent quite a bit of time at the range yesterday hitting various shots. I like to alternate back and forth. ill hit a high cut then a low draw. Then a low straight ball etc.....My go to shot is the high fade and high cut. Im having problems with the high draw. More practice

I do but I am terrible flighting wedges. One of the things I am going to work on this season. I want a nice easy low one bounce stop wedge.

thats prob my fav shot, the low skipper. I just narrow my feet up, ball back in my stance, forward press and use more arms with less hip turn with a descending strike.

Not too much unless a situation really calls for it. More often than not it's trying to play a lower shot to avoid trouble or flighted down into the wind.

Only time I try and play higher is when a forced object carry is present.

Back