Is your game ready or does it need help?

Does my game need help? Yes and I've sent you the videos.

But truly, I try to keep on top of my game all year long, even though I've got snow on the ground for 4+ months.
We're lucky enough to have a golf dome that we visit every other week usually and then I've got my birdieball in my living room.
There's never a need for anyone to motivate me with an event or trip.... although that always makes me want to be even better.

I could go out now, after a few weeks off from playing, and play close to my handicap. But this is the year I expect to see the biggest improvement in my game. The wife and I downsized this past fall and moved closer to a course that has great practice facilities. I plan to take advantage of it as much as I can this year. My old home course didn't have a driving range or a decent putting green. It was a great little course for the price.

Last edited:
Nope.
It's handicapped and while I love the game and practicing it, a year long grind with hoping I might get into something is not for me.
This is me.

If I get too serious about golf, my expectations go up, and that typically hurts me, especially when my game is off.

That being said, I'm always trying/wanting to improve, and I'm always ready to play or compete.

Im ready to go now, but there will always be something to work on. I sometimes think back to my bad holes and think how i could have played it better or what if i done that differently.

My game can always be better and use some help, but I will say I am consistent, Even if I haven't played for a few weeks I have found I can go out and still shoot my normal. Now I dont know if that's a good sign or a bad one but I try to look on the bright side and say I am consistent.

If the event was this weekend... I'd take what I have now.

If I were called this weekend to an event in December... I'd take what I have in December.

My point is that golf is fun for me. I'm competitive with myself. I'm a hacker with a high cap right now. Realistically I'll still be a high cap in December. My schedule doesn't allow me to golf every week. Heck I'm lucky to place twice a month.

I haven't played in a tournament or match in 20+ years. I play golf to have fun... winning is the icing on the cake.

My game is definitely not where it was towards the end of the regular playing season, so my handicap currently isn't reflecting what I would imagine I would score if I was able to play. I haven't gone out and played to get an actual score, but from my practice sessions, I would be playing well above my handicap.

That being said, I am taking steps to improve my game as I always do. I am practicing more than I ever have in the winter so I should be back in mid season form much quicker. I had a good year getting my cap down last year so as long as I continue to post honest scores, I will be ready for December and my cap will travel.

I think im ready right now.......sure there are areas I could and can work on but thats everyone probably. Mentally is where I need to sharpen things up. Shake the nerves and let things happen as they will. I can only control thing I have control over. Quit worrying about what might happen and stay in the present. 1 shot at a time

i know i mention it often, but in my industry my game gets pretty shut down from about now until the end of april. i try to get out to the driving range once a week, but i have found most years that this practice does not translate into success on the course when i come out of my work hole. i need reps.

I haven't been playing long enough to be ready all the time. What's even worse is for the longest time I was nervous when headed to the first tee because I never knew what my swing was going to be like that day. But I have a strong desire to be a single digit at some point, if not scratch and as a result I'm a range rat that has taken tons of lessons an spend most of my free time on the range/course. I look at improvement as chipping one flaw away at a time and that's what I've been doing. And for having only played for less than 3 years, I feel like I've been pretty successful utilizing the current game plan. There will be stalls/plateaus that I hit, but I don't let them get to me. No event influences that positively or negatively as I'm going to continue doing this until I die (which is hopefully a very, very long time from now).

Yes, I am ready now and will be ready in December

It needs help.

If you're not getting better, you're getting worse

I would need to work hard on it. I have a tournament in September that always motivates me to get better. I am just now trusting my new swing that I started about 6 months ago.

I am really far removed from being ready for anything, I still strike the irons very well but the little nuances we develop over time that fine tune us are gone for now. I think for me I need a good couple weeks at the range to get the control and accuracy back I had when I lived in Fla, especially the short game.

After range session yesterday I'm confident in my iron game and I feel it's course ready but my long game is off and has me mental about it. I need to work on the slow and smooth tempo I have with my irons.

My game, or at least my ball striking, might be improving for the first time in 25 years. I made some tweaks to my set up and swing plane and 3 of my last 4 rounds have been below my index. I shot even par last time out with two 3 putts and only one putt over 4 feet made all day. More time is needed but it's promising.

Is my game ready tomorrow? Yes I believe I can shoot my cap or below tomorrow.

Does it need work/tuning? Sure does but I do it all year long and this year I'm doing it differently. I'm committing more time to my game more focus on the mental side of the game.

I have a personal goal for this year regardless of if I get into an event or not.

In the past I tried too hard leading up to and during events and that failed me miserably and my teammate. I will not make those mistakes again. I may put in more time if called for a big event but I will stay within my game once on the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes my game is ready at a moments notice. It may not be as pretty as others but I swing the club enough and practice to be ready to play golf at anytime.

I play golf pretty much year round so that makes me ready to play at a moments notice. I may have a good day or a bad day, but I am ready. I am always trying to get better and try to take a couple of lessons a year just to work on aspects of my game that need improvement.

Regarding the THP events or any event my golf game is what it is, the preparation part is learning the course so you can maximize your ability to play well. Using the DMV/Carolinas RR as an example, you may have your best swing but if you don't know where to put the ball the course will punish you. After determining how to play the course, I will work on specific things that to be able to play that specific course better. Dogleg lefts will require more draws, dogleg rights more fades, where are the best layup areas, are the greens big with lots of undulations, how fast are the greens, etc.

So in my mind your question really has 2 perspectives. Can you go out and play golf to the level you generally play on a moments notice to include weather induced layoffs? Can you go out an play an unfamiliar course in a competitive round? As I stated above, for me the first question is yes and the second is no.

I do have a net set up in my workshop and just splurged on a new CCE mat (already kicking myself for not buying one a long time ago). Try to hit 30-50 balls 3-4 times a week during the unplayable winter days (currently -10 WC locally). Full swing is usually OK right out of the gate. Short game and putting takes some rounds to shake the rust.

Luckily for me, I live where I can play year round, weather permitting. So I believe I'm game ready 24/7. I'm always looking for ways to improve my game, but feel I'm consistent with it. If you're ever in Vegas, give me a call...schedule permitting, I'm ready to play.

Some bold takes here! I’ll need some time to ramp back up to regular play.

Needs work. But that never stopped me from taking anyone on that wants to play.

And laugh

It’s ready. I wish I lived closer to some thp’ers. If I was in Arizona I’d be your huckleberry @mtbloco

It’s ready. I wish I lived closer to some thp’ers. If I was in Arizona I’d be your huckleberry @mtbloco
Albatross members are encouraged to join us if they visit.

Back