Looks vs Performance - which is more important to YOU?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
After watching last nights DvD2 episode I think this is an interesting topic. Using the Wilson Driver vs Driver 2 protoypes one of the drivers (Magnus) is clearly polarizing. Nobody likes the shape of the driver except for the designer himself. Based on what we have seen it puts up pretty darn good numbers and in fact better numbers than the other remaining drivers in some cases. However when given the opportunity to choose one of the remaining drivers to go for distance NOBODY chose this driver. This tells me that for them looks > performance.

What about you? Could you game a driver that looked different but flat our performed? OR are looks that important that you are willing to sacrifice a few yards because something looks better?

This is a cop out, but I dont believe I have to choose anymore. If I feel like I'm choosing between one or the other then I wont buy either.

I'd sacrifice performance over looks because nowadays all drivers perform well within each other. So IMO I am not really giving up too much.

I would go performance all day. I have gotten used to playing some clubs that initially I wasn't a huge fan of looks wise but the performance has won out.

If I had to make the choice, which I really don’t (there’s lots of good looking high performing stuff out there) I’m going performance over looks.

I may be an anomaly, but looks just don’t usually mess with me that much, there are somethings that break my concentration, but otherwise, not much matter to me in the looks department.

I could but now days I don’t have to. So much great equipment is out there.

It's all about the performance baby, period! :)

And no I don't have PXG's.

I don't believe you have to sacrifice one for the other anymore, too many good clubs out there.

It would have to perform significantly better than anything else for me to go beyond looks, but I don't feel like there is too much between modern drivers that even if you were giving up performance I don't think it would be too much

There have been drivers in the past that I just couldn't get over the look of, to the point that I didn't even hit them once

I'm not going to lie: If the looks don't please me, I'll likely never give the performance a chance to show itself. That being said, there are many options out that don't require the sacrifice and what makes the DvD2 conundrum so interesting.

Performance for me! If the club doesn’t look good to my eye but outperforms everything else, I’ll have no problem getting used to the look because the performance will give me more confidence.

Looks can be very different for various people. I play the Triton and bought it because of its looks. It’s pretty obvious the many people don’t like the looks.Turns out it is the best driver I’ve ever played which is nice since I invested all of $45. Would I still play it if it didn’t perform. No, but I think I’d sold it quickly and moved on. Sound? That’s another question. Some days it’s too loud but other times it doesn’t faze me.

I want both.

I am all about performance over looks any day.
It could look like and old shoe attached to a fishing pole for all I care as long as the performance is there.

If there were a driver that performed significantly better but did not win any beauty contests, these days I would bag the much better performing ugly duckling. If performance was quite similar among a group of drivers, I would weigh both factors.

I think the pragmatic response is performance but I'm generally far from reasonable when it comes to golf. Looks for me. If I don't like the look of the club, my eyes wander immediately. I'll end up going through a bumpy patch with it and it'll be too easy to change out. There are already a couple of brands I just won't play because I don't like them door no other reason than them just being that brand. Completely illogical...I know.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I would go performance all day. I have gotten used to playing some clubs that initially I wasn't a huge fan of looks wise but the performance has won out.

Agree with this

I'd go 80/20, performance over looks, maybe even higher. The look would have to be pretty bad and cause me to be uncomfortable or lacking in confidence when I set it behind the ball.

Its funny to see so many saying performance trumps all, because I remember being at a THP get together when Hawk brought the Knuth and it bested all comers for performance, but no one ran out and bought one, myself included.

I'm behind on DvD, so I haven't seen the episode yet. It would depend on how much of a performance gap there was. If the difference was minimal, then I'd go with the better looking driver. If the difference is substantial, especially with the driver, then I'd take performance over looks. I don't think I could do it for irons though.

Its funny to see so many saying performance trumps all, because I remember being at a THP get together when Hawk brought the Knuth and it bested all comers for performance, but no one ran out and bought one, myself included.

I think even for me, as someone who says sound isn't that important, that driver was a bridge too far.

We'll see if I hold the line on this in December, but I'm going to say it's 90/10 for me, performance vs. looks. I can get used to pretty much anything, within reason. There are some spots in the bag that this matters more for me. Fairway woods are so hit and miss for me I'll go with what performs every day. Irons I find I play about the same with different profiles, so I've got more leeway there.

I will make the caveat that there are some clubs that just don't look right to me, and that has an effect on performance. I've had some irons where square just looked really closed, and that caused me to hit weak fades, for instance.

I am a looks kinda guy ;)

Performance isn’t extremely important to me because I believe in the golfer more than the club when it comes down to playing golf.

After watching last nights DvD2 episode I think this is an interesting topic. Using the Wilson Driver vs Driver 2 protoypes one of the drivers (Magnus) is clearly polarizing. Nobody likes the shape of the driver except for the designer himself. Based on what we have seen it puts up pretty darn good numbers and in fact better numbers than the other remaining drivers in some cases. However when given the opportunity to choose one of the remaining drivers to go for distance NOBODY chose this driver. This tells me that for them looks > performance.

What about you? Could you game a driver that looked different but flat our performed? OR are looks that important that you are willing to sacrifice a few yards because something looks better?

If it doesn't look good, I'd have a hard time using it. Performance is one thing. But if it doesn't look appealing while standing over it, I doubt I'll give it a fair shot.

I'm likely not buying anything that doesn't look good no matter how good the numbers or results are.

Back