Wilson Staff DUO Professional Golf Balls

Why not just call it the Duo Pro? Seems like a goofy name but I can get past that because this ball sounds fun

I love this release and the evolution of the Duo line. Kind of silly to keep "Duo" for a 3 piece ball, but I get Duo has some clout in it's success in the marketplace. I really like the FG Tour urethane ball and then you throw in some fun colors to the urethane and a great price point, I hope it's a winner for them.

You bring up a great point about the name Duo and a 3 piece ball, however the "U" was a 3 pc and since no one really had an issue with it and everyone got it, this is a natural progression.
"Professional" is a questionable name - Would like to have seen the Marketing studies done to arrive a "Professional" when it's not aimed at "Professional" Golfers.

You bring up a great point about the name Duo and a 3 piece ball, however the "U" was a 3 pc and since no one really had an issue with it and everyone got it, this is a natural progression.
"Professional" is a questionable name - Would like to have seen the Marketing studies done to arrive a "Professional" when it's not aimed at "Professional" Golfers.

Why is it not aimed at Professional golfers? Wouldn't it be as much as any other lower compression premium ball?

I get that Duo U was 3 piece, still silly but I understand why it is done (Duo was #1 selling 2 piece ball a couple years back, and might still be).

As for the second part: Is "Tour Soft" aimed at professionals? At least this one has cover material that 99.99% of professional golfers now use. Duo Pro has a great ring to it.

I play a yellow Zstar XV currently. If Srixon made one in a matte yellow or orange I would move to it in a heartbeat. I doubt this ball will kick mine out of the bag but I will probably give it a whirl.

I like playing the regular Duos during the cold months.

Interesting thoughts from me here. I played this ball all of Shaft Up Finale and really enjoyed it. Spin around the greens was solid, really low spin off the tee and the beauty for me was the matte finish held up extremely well.

I’ve gotta say, I was pretty impressed with how well they worked for you. You’re also correct about the matte finish, it was great and it stayed much cleaner than I would have thought. These are definitely gonna be on my radar for this winter, that’s a great price for a urethane covered ball.

Why is it not aimed at Professional golfers? Wouldn't it be as much as any other lower compression premium ball?

So that’s what I’m wondering. Is this supposed to be in the same level/market competitively as the chrome soft and avx (although not sure if even the avx is considered same tier as chromesoft?).

I’m excited to try it as the duo soft was a great ball but I needed more I guess from it. Just didn’t play as good for my game as a chromesoft or tp5 that I typically play.

I’ll definitely be picking some of these up. The matte color option is great. I’ll probably go with yellow and white at first.

I don't like the name - corny
I don't like the price - Should be $29.99 or less

I like the colors and the composition of the golf ball. Will I likely use it? Probably not.

So that’s what I’m wondering. Is this supposed to be in the same level/market competitively as the chrome soft and avx (although not sure if even the avx is considered same tier as chromesoft?).

I’m excited to try it as the duo soft was a great ball but I needed more I guess from it. Just didn’t play as good for my game as a chromesoft or tp5 that I typically play.

The Chrome Soft is a lower compression golf ball, but its a bit of a different animal, when you get into mantle layers.
AVX is a fair comparison. Both cast urethane. Both 3 piece golf balls. Both lower compression designed for less spin off the tee.

Interesting thoughts from me here. I played this ball all of Shaft Up Finale and really enjoyed it. Spin around the greens was solid, really low spin off the tee and the beauty for me was the matte finish held up extremely well.

Just saw this on twitter..... those comments make me think the orange Duo Professional will be what I play going forward.

I like the colors and the composition of the golf ball. Will I likely use it? Probably not.

Is your gripe on the price in comparison to a similar golf ball in the QST? Because compared to other premium, urethane covered balls (AVX is a great example) the price is still 25% less than most.

Is your gripe on the price in comparison to a similar golf ball in the QST? Because compared to other premium, urethane covered balls (AVX is a great example) the price is still 25% less than most.

Yep, the Q-Star Tour was the first ball that came to mind when I saw the price point.

Considering you will likely be able to get them on Budget golf, 15% off is $29.75 right? Even $35 is not a bad price in my opinion, under $3.00/ball is a good deal especially when I would think the main two competitors for this ball are the Q-Star Tour ($30) and the Titleist AX ($48). Coming in between those 2 but with a few more color options, I will definitely give these a go. The Matte orange of the Duo soft Optix was great, if this is similar but with urethane cover... man that should be a great combo as i loved the performance of the Duo-U and the look of the Duo Soft Optix.

I’m wondering. Why should it be less?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Chrome Soft is a lower compression golf ball, but its a bit of a different animal, when you get into mantle layers.
AVX is a fair comparison. Both cast urethane. Both 3 piece golf balls. Both lower compression designed for less spin off the tee.

Thanks. This could be a great ball for me then. Can’t wait to try it out

I’m wondering. Why should it be less?

Because there are golf balls of similar characteristics selling for less.

Why not just call it the Duo Pro? Seems like a goofy name but I can get past that because this ball sounds fun
Ha, I was thinking the same thing.

Because there are golf balls of similar characteristics selling for less.

I gotcha. Just hoping you weren’t saying that due to it being a Wilson duo ball haha.

I mean I think it’s at a good price point. It’s lower than the avx, about the same as chromesoft, but is more than the q star (am I missing any big names? I know there are the smaller companies that are way cheaper as well). I’m not too worried about it as it’s mid tier for the most part.

I gotcha. Just hoping you weren’t saying that due to it being a Wilson duo ball haha.

I mean I think it’s at a good price point. It’s lower than the avx, about the same as chromesoft, but is more than the q star (am I missing any big names? I know there are the smaller companies that are way cheaper as well). I’m not too worried about it as it’s mid tier for the most part.

Wilson makes quality golf balls no doubt. I don't use them but if I was in there position I would have priced it directly against the Q-Star Tour. I know many people will buy the QST simply because it's $5 less. I know Snell isn't a household or big box name but it's definitely popular on here and other sites and is another cheaper option than this ball.

Wilson makes quality golf balls no doubt. I don't use them but if I was in there position I would have priced it directly against the Q-Star Tour. I know many people will buy the QST simply because it's $5 less. I know Snell isn't a household or big box name but it's definitely popular on here and other sites and is another cheaper option than this ball.

Fair points

So this ball looks like a AVX/Q-Star Tour/TourB RX/Project (a) competitor.
We have seen 2 balls refreshed for 2019 Q-Star go Yellow and now we have Duo Pro going one better with Color and Matte Finish. Interesting enough places that Volvik was already in 2018.

Be interested to see changes if any to the TourB RX in 2019 as AVX and Project (a) was refreshed in 2018.

Wonder if Callaway tries to get in this price market with a Urethane Ball that take after the Superhot Bold.

So these aren't available for another year (or rather there may be a typo in the article for availability date)?
The Details
In Stores: December 3rd, 2019
Cost: $34.99

So these aren't available for another year (or rather there may be a typo in the article for availability date)?
The Details
In Stores: December 3rd, 2019
Cost: $34.99

The answer to that question is I am an idiot : )
I have been working so hard on something where I had to type 2019 16 times, that I typed it there too. It has been corrected : )

I really liked the Duo U so I'll be picking these balls up eventually. The price point is fine with me for the quality I'd expect, although obviously lower would attract more casual buyers. I also love that people picked up on the DUO name being a strange keep. It never crossed my mind but you are completely correct.

Having never played a matte ball, what is the appeal exactly? They seem to look like I'm about to play a quick round of putt-putt but maybe I'm missing something.

Back