Wilson Staff DUO Professional Golf Balls

Having never played a matte ball, what is the appeal exactly? They seem to look like I'm about to play a quick round of putt-putt but maybe I'm missing something.

Ya know, I can't really put a finger on it exactly. I got a chance to try a matte white ball recently and fell in love with it. Maybe it was because it was different, I honestly don't know.

Ya know, I can't really put a finger on it exactly. I got a chance to try a matte white ball recently and fell in love with it. Maybe it was because it was different, I honestly don't know.

OK, my mind is a little blown. Matte white is something I need to see.

OK, my mind is a little blown. Matte white is something I need to see.

I wish I still had one left. I got 3, they lasted for 2.5 rounds and then I dropped the last one in the water.

I think the matte balls are easier to pick up in the rough this time of year. They stand out more among the leaves and shiny grass, because I think there is less glare.

I do think part of it is the "it's different" factor too. Same thing w/ Truvis for me. Why not add some personality.

So the white matte ball you played - It didn't dirty up and turn kinda Grey?
I play the Volvik Vivid XT in White and I hated it, by the time the round was done, it looked awful.

So the white matte ball you played - It didn't dirty up and turn kinda Grey?
I play the Volvik Vivid XT in White and I hated it, by the time the round was done, it looked awful.

Nope, it looked pretty darn good.

I'm intrigued. I'm playing the Duo and Dou U quite a bit right now. I like them. I still can't get my game together enough to really tell if I love them or not.

I think the matte balls are easier to pick up in the rough this time of year. They stand out more among the leaves and shiny grass, because I think there is less glare.

I do think part of it is the "it's different" factor too. Same thing w/ Truvis for me. Why not add some personality.

So the orange, yellow, green, etc will actually differentiate itself from the similar color leaves? I’ve struggled with color balls in the fall for that reason.

I don't like the name - corny
I don't like the price - Should be $29.99 or less

I like the colors and the composition of the golf ball. Will I likely use it? Probably not.

Why 29.99, I have never seen a matte finish 3 piece urethane ball retail for 29.99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been a very happy user of the regular "green" Duo. I'm looking forward to transitioning to the "green" Duo Professional in December**

**or hopefully next weekend :wink:

Why 29.99, I have never seen a matte finish 3 piece urethane ball retail for 29.99

See my answer in the above posts.

See my answer in the above posts.

No it’s not, those balls do not come in matte.
I am sure the matte adds extra cost in making a ball?

have not played a yellow ball in a while, but i would like to and think these could fit the bill.

Love it!

What does the alignment aid look like?

Some pictures elsewhere show an italicized "PROFESSIONAL" on one side.

Duo-pro-3.jpg

I love this release and the evolution of the Duo line. Kind of silly to keep "Duo" for a 3 piece ball, but I get Duo has some clout in it's success in the marketplace. I really like the FG Tour urethane ball and then you throw in some fun colors to the urethane and a great price point, I hope it's a winner for them.
Euro has the DUO labelled as DX2 and DX3

FGTour is a 4 piece 70 compression urethane ball, I wonder if that will stay in the lineup

So the orange, yellow, green, etc will actually differentiate itself from the similar color leaves? I’ve struggled with color balls in the fall for that reason.

I find that the matte balls have a bigger look, especially from a distance. Less glare helps. Grass (and a leaf) usually has a bit of shine to it, which a gloss finish ball easily replicates.

I gave a bunch of Volviks to a player who is very high handicap (36+), he liked that the ball looked bigger at address, felt like he could make good contact.

Last edited:
I would have liked it if under the shield they had used the script Wilson instead of Wilson Staff spelled out.

Last edited:
Nice write-up.

$34.99 for a 3 piece urethane ball in matte yellow and orange? (Not sure about the green)

I can get behind this one

This ball will be a must try. I appreciate the different colors. I've never played a matte colored ball but have yellow in many brands. The orange is extremely easy to see, this based on playing with a guy who plays an orange volvik. It would be neat if Wilson offered a 4 pack with one of each color or a fruit loops dozen. That way you could find the color that works best for you.

I don't like it going firmer but doubt I can tell the difference in 5 points. I'll try them eventually but I'll be buying up all the Duo-U once the bottom falls out.

I don't like it going firmer but doubt I can tell the difference in 5 points. I'll try them eventually but I'll be buying up all the Duo-U once the bottom falls out.

Might want to get to Budget Golf. With the THP discount it’s pretty low if they still have them

Bcape had the matte orange callaways in play, and they were surprisingly easy to differentiate from the leaves.

I really like the Duo-U so this would be a natural to try and see how it compares.

The Duo-U is a solid ball and i love the feel. I wonder if the increase in firmness will be noticeable to the player. Look forward to hearing some comparisons.

They had Duo U on closeout for a while. They must think this ball is better. We will see

Back