Cleveland Golf TFi 2135 - THP Review Thread

1.0, 35 inch.

Thought about the CB, but went with the closest model to my current gamer.

I love my PING, but the alignment help could be a huge confidence booster for me.

I took a chance with the 35" 8.0 CB and couldn't be happier.

I've been doing some carpet putting with the 2135 8.0. Because I'm choking down a bit, my biggest issue has been inconsistent strike. I remember when I tested the Tank a couple years back, I put a line of tape on the club to guide my grip. That's helped a lot in terms of consistent setup.

Right now the two putters I have excel for different reasons. The FGP2 feels just "right" at address, but it's reasonably punitive on mishits. I'm still getting used to the 8.0, but you can tell there's a bit more MOI in that putter. And, as I'm coming to appreciate more, I'll take forgiveness in every part of my game.

I ordered the 2135 6.5 Mallet and it arrived Friday. Regripped it with a Lamkin Jumbo, flattened the lie angle to my specs, and have been putting it through its paces... last night in my basement-golf-mancave and then today I spent a lot of time on the practice green at my local course.

What a fine putter! The alignment thing at the new height I suppose is helpful, but I do really like the way the face feels. It might be the best feeling putter face ever made. I have a Versa Tank Rossie, which I generally like... I like the weight and design but the weird insert I don't care for... about 1 out of every 20-30 putts will do some weird jump/skid thing and not roll true at all. I've never been much of an insert fan. The new Cleveland is like the best of both worlds... a soft milled copper face set on top of an insert (a backsert?) so you get a very soft feeling, but firm, ball strike. Soft&firm at the same time. I like it.

For comparison, I own a Bettinardi BBX80, a Scotty American Classic III, a Cure, an Edel E3, 2 Odysseys Versa Tanks (a Rossie and an Armlock), a Carbite 8802, a vintage Bullseye, and have owned many others over the years... I think this Cleveland has the best feeling contact of them all. My old Mizuno TP Mills had great contact, too, but I don't think even it felt as good as this Cleveland. (Alas, I gave it to my dad years ago, and he subsequently wrecked it because he always loses headcovers).

I so agree with you, BDM. Just an amazingly awesome feeling face. Your assessment of insert softness plus firm face so exactly right. This putter is really great.

I ordered the 2135 6.5 Mallet and it arrived Friday. Regripped it with a Lamkin Jumbo, flattened the lie angle to my specs, and have been putting it through its paces... last night in my basement-golf-mancave and then today I spent a lot of time on the practice green at my local course.

What a fine putter! The alignment thing at the new height I suppose is helpful, but I do really like the way the face feels. It might be the best feeling putter face ever made. I have a Versa Tank Rossie, which I generally like... I like the weight and design but the weird insert I don't care for... about 1 out of every 20-30 putts will do some weird jump/skid thing and not roll true at all. I've never been much of an insert fan. The new Cleveland is like the best of both worlds... a soft milled copper face set on top of an insert (a backsert?) so you get a very soft feeling, but firm, ball strike. Soft&firm at the same time. I like it.

For comparison, I own a Bettinardi BBX80, a Scotty American Classic III, a Cure, an Edel E3, 2 Odysseys Versa Tanks (a Rossie and an Armlock), a Carbite 8802, a vintage Bullseye, and have owned many others over the years... I think this Cleveland has the best feeling contact of them all. My old Mizuno TP Mills had great contact, too, but I don't think even it felt as good as this Cleveland. (Alas, I gave it to my dad years ago, and he subsequently wrecked it because he always loses headcovers).

A real nice putter for sure.

Just wish Cleveland put the same 15" putter grip that they put on their TFI CB putters. I really do like that grip. So much so that I emailed Lamkin who makes the grip for Cleveland to see if it is available for sale, with or without the Cleveland graphics. The response back was that it's not available, but she mentioned that I may want to try their new 13" Sink putter grip. Have 2 Sink grips (round versions) coming in at 11" & 13".

Wanted to buy one today but my local Golfsmith and galaxy didn't carry them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanted to buy one today but my local Golfsmith and galaxy didn't carry them.

Same here. I had to buy mine online. Ordered it from Amazon, since the price is pretty much the same everywhere. And they had different lengths. I'm real short, so I wanted a 33". They had it. NO brick&mortar ever has 33" putters!

Same here. I had to buy mine online. Ordered it from Amazon, since the price is pretty much the same everywhere. And they had different lengths. I'm real short, so I wanted a 33". They had it. NO brick&mortar ever has 33" putters!

Which one did you get?

The 6.5 mallet

A real nice putter for sure.

Just wish Cleveland put the same 15" putter grip that they put on their TFI CB putters. I really do like that grip. So much so that I emailed Lamkin who makes the grip for Cleveland to see if it is available for sale, with or without the Cleveland graphics. The response back was that it's not available, but she mentioned that I may want to try their new 13" Sink putter grip. Have 2 Sink grips (round versions) coming in at 11" & 13".

Did you try getting in touch with Cleveland? I was able to order some of the red Srixon UTx swing grips through a dealer. You may be able to get a grip that way.

The 6.5 mallet

I have one of those amongst a few other TFI's. It's the only TFI that I have that's not counter balanced. I found that the stock grip on the 6.5 was too thin, other than that it's a solid putter.

ENJOY!!!

So I am going to make the plunge. Going with an 8.0 head shape with a Lamkin Sink putter grip on it. Going to place the order and after the PGA Show put it in the bag for testing for a few rounds.

After using this line, I find myself second guessing my alignment and my best putting rounds in the last 6 months have been with a 2135 in the bag.

So I am going to make the plunge. Going with an 8.0 head shape with a Lamkin Sink putter grip on it. Going to place the order and after the PGA Show put it in the bag for testing for a few rounds.

After using this line, I find myself second guessing my alignment and my best putting rounds in the last 6 months have been with a 2135 in the bag.

I have been messing around with the 8.0 in 35" the last couple of trips to the Super Store. They put a really good roll on the ball, and have a nice sound/feel. I did find I had to adjust my aim - guessing that might be because I've made compensations with other putters, and the 2135 technology makes that unnecessary.

I have been messing around with the 8.0 in 35" the last couple of trips to the Super Store. They put a really good roll on the ball, and have a nice sound/feel. I did find I had to adjust my aim - guessing that might be because I've made compensations with other putters, and the 2135 technology makes that unnecessary.

That's the model I will be going with, but will remove the counter balance part.

I find myself compensating too, and once this is back in my hand it's less so.

Did you try getting in touch with Cleveland? I was able to order some of the red Srixon UTx swing grips through a dealer. You may be able to get a grip that way.
Sorry for the tarty response - I simply missed this post. Yes I did send an email to Cleveland Customer Support on December 16th but never received a response. Thanks for reminding me to followup with them.

With respect to Cleveland dealers. There are literally no Cleveland dealers where I live so everything Cleveland sells has to be ordered online.

JB if you replace that Cleveland grip with a Lamkin I will gladly take the stock grip off your hands for a reasonable price plus shipping.

Sorry for the tarty response - I simply missed this post. Yes I did send an email to Cleveland Customer Support on December 16th but never received a response. Thanks for reminding me to followup with them.

With respect to Cleveland dealers. There are literally no Cleveland dealers where I live so everything Cleveland sells has to be ordered online.

JB if you replace that Cleveland grip with a Lamkin I will gladly take the stock grip off your hands for a reasonable price plus shipping.

I don't sell equipment, but if it comes off in on piece it's yours. Although I did tell them of the plan so there is a chance my putter comes with no grip.

Do they not carry these at galaxy or Golfsmith?

Do they not carry these at galaxy or Golfsmith?

Unfortunately not. Lamkin makes these grips specifically for the Cleveland's CB line of TFI putters, and Lamkin will not sell them. I've already emailed Cleveland's CS but unfortunately there was no response. Time to call Cleveland directly to see if I can get a bunch directly through them. Will definately be loading up on them if they do.

I meant the putter.

I meant the putter.

Sorry my bad. The putters are available from several online sources - but it's the additional grips that I'm looking for.

One near me has them in stock.
They will also be on the THP Tour Van at each event throughout the year.
And of course the event with Cleveland Golf later this year.

I finally had a chance to get my 1.0 out to roll some putts today outside. The greens were really wet, but I was really happy how it felt. The alignment was really cool to see in action. It really made me feel confident, especially on shorter putts. In general though, it was rolling well and where I was wanting it to go. Was really really nice. I am looking forward to rolling it more.

One near me has them in stock.
They will also be on the THP Tour Van at each event throughout the year.
And of course the event with Cleveland Golf later this year.

A little difficult getting down there from the great white north. :)

If someone could PM me their link or phone number I will gladly call to see if they will send to Canada.

Cheers.

After spending about an hour on the putting green today, rolling putts with different putters, the 2135 alignment is something that I am going to give a run to this year for a while.

Need to grab a Lamkin Sink grip and get the right model, but its going into the bag.

Purchased a 1.0 yesterday and having it delivered Saturday. Pretty sure I will need to swap grips also.

Back