TaylorMade R15 Driver Preview

Just pull the trigger Andy, you already have the factory shaft for the R15 anyway! I actually loved my SLDR, might even grab another 12* head to throw in the bag from time to time. That being said my R15 has def. helped my game a lot. Very good dispersion and very solid feeling, decent forgiveness. My miss is usually a low hook.

My miss is the same lately and rbarthle17 had said before that this driver actually helps with that particular miss. Have you seen the same thing?

My miss is the same lately and rbarthle17 had said before that this driver actually helps with that particular miss. Have you seen the same thing?
Any of my misses are def. playable and are either just off the fairway or a slight bit further. Def. give it a try if you can score a head cheap, I really love the club. Have hit some of my best drives with it, even some that have rivaled my SLDR.

b16bd87e35f60a4102f5ce2075d37afe.jpg

My practice session on Skytrak yesterday. Loving the distance from this without a full swing. These were numbers I had to catch the 3w flush to get.

I'm continuing to hit my R15 driver quite well, but a few tweaks in my swing has me spinning the ball too much lately. I feel I can see the ball starting to balloon just before the apex of the flight.

I want to go through a quick shaft fitting with this head and see what the numbers say.

First outdoor round with this today. Once I figured out my shot was a push with a slight fade, I was on or just off the fairway many times with it. We played in 15-20 mph winds and I was thrilled with the results.

Best drive was the last one of the day. Tailwind and I piped it 290 according to the score card.

I hit this driver quite well again today. I'm pretty confident I'm not optimized with my current combo as far as distance goes (too high, too much spin) but if I throw the numbers away and just play golf I'm hitting more fairways than usual lately and it's leading to more GIR and lower scores.
I'm aiming up the left side of every fairway and hitting a 20-30 yard fade to the center or right edge on repeat, and I love it. My miss is an extra high slice right now, but it's a pretty rare occurrence (1 per round ish).

I hit this driver quite well again today. I'm pretty confident I'm not optimized with my current combo as far as distance goes (too high, too much spin) but if I throw the numbers away and just play golf I'm hitting more fairways than usual lately and it's leading to more GIR and lower scores.
I'm aiming up the left side of every fairway and hitting a 20-30 yard fade to the center or right edge on repeat, and I love it. My miss is an extra high slice right now, but it's a pretty rare occurrence (1 per round ish).

Chasing numbers is a bad thing IMO. Love hearing about your results. For me going to the tee box without the usual dread I get from this shot is a huge weight off my shoulders.

I pulled this thing out again today to compare and tinker a bit between this and the Vapor Pro. Still a super solid head for me. Launches these high, low spinning ICBM's when I catch it good, and sounds pretty damn good. Misses are not as fun, but they aren't atrocious either.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

At it's core R15 still has a low and forward center of gravity which will never equal high levels of forgiveness. I think adding a 3rd weight to the track of my driver has increased the size of the sweet spot a little bit, but that hasn't been proven with any real data. I think it's still going to be less forgiving than many other options on the market.

I am adding a third weight to the track this week. I have been struggling a bit with overall distance. Lately I have been bombing my XR Pro 3w well past the R15 to the tune of 10+ yards. When I swing the two, one thing I love about the XR Pro fairway is the head feels really heavy at impact, like I can get more power out of it at impact. Hopefully the additional weight will help this out.

So I'm not sure where to put this since there isn't a thread devoted to the R15 Rescue, so I figured I'd put in here.

The R15 Rescue is, in a word, ridiculous. I hit it once a couple weeks back and it was unbelievably long, so much so that I actually couldn't believe it. I went back yesterday ready to hit all kinds of other hybrids (TEE E8/EX9, Callaway XR, Aeroburner, G30, Nike Vapor Fly, etc.), convinced that one of them would come close. Not to be. I'm still a little in disbelief...

Currently I carry my J40 3h around 210 yards on a well struck ball. Most of the other 3h's (anywhere from 19*-21*) I hit carried right around that or a little less, and I'm looking to add about 5 or so yards to each of my hybrids to fix gapping between my 5i and 4h (a little too tight now, with the added distance on my new irons) and 3h and 3w (too wide - around 25 yards between). The R15 had other things in mind. Set to 19*, I was carrying the ball in the 225 yard range when hit well. The slight mishits were still going farther than a pure shot with my current hybrid!

So it was actually too long, but that is the beauty of adjustability. Adjusted to 20* and was getting a perfect 215-220 out of it - exactly what I want. These launch really easy and while not the most forgiving hybrid I've hit, there is a lot more forgiveness than the small head size would indicate. And for whatever reason, I didn't have big issues with hooks either time I hit it.

These may be in the bag sooner rather than later.

I would start a thread then.

Had a few early rounds with my R15, feels good to know no matter what the conditions are this combo is for me. Nothing but confidence when I swing this setup :0)

So I'm not sure where to put this since there isn't a thread devoted to the R15 Rescue, so I figured I'd put in here.

The R15 Rescue is, in a word, ridiculous. I hit it once a couple weeks back and it was unbelievably long, so much so that I actually couldn't believe it. I went back yesterday ready to hit all kinds of other hybrids (TEE E8/EX9, Callaway XR, Aeroburner, G30, Nike Vapor Fly, etc.), convinced that one of them would come close. Not to be. I'm still a little in disbelief...

Currently I carry my J40 3h around 210 yards on a well struck ball. Most of the other 3h's (anywhere from 19*-21*) I hit carried right around that or a little less, and I'm looking to add about 5 or so yards to each of my hybrids to fix gapping between my 5i and 4h (a little too tight now, with the added distance on my new irons) and 3h and 3w (too wide - around 25 yards between). The R15 had other things in mind. Set to 19*, I was carrying the ball in the 225 yard range when hit well. The slight mishits were still going farther than a pure shot with my current hybrid!

So it was actually too long, but that is the beauty of adjustability. Adjusted to 20* and was getting a perfect 215-220 out of it - exactly what I want. These launch really easy and while not the most forgiving hybrid I've hit, there is a lot more forgiveness than the small head size would indicate. And for whatever reason, I didn't have big issues with hooks either time I hit it.

These may be in the bag sooner rather than later.

Interesting, that's one of the hybrids I have yet to try.

Hitting my R15/Handcrafted on the monitor again today, it reinforced the fact that this driver launches a little higher and carries a little further than my Vapor (around 5 yards), but it just isn't quite as forgiving. The M1 is both, and at some point I think I'm gonna have to pick one up.

This is still quite a good head though. High flying, low spin bombs when hit well. Toe balls are pretty punishing though.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Taking the R15 out this weekend for a scramble. I figure the extra launch and distance I get with this sucker is worth the slightly lower forgiveness in a scramble when we have 4 tee shots to choose from! Looks like a relatively wide open course too, so I'm hoping to go to #PoundTown with it :golf:

Back