Bryson Putting With Flag In

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
What do you make of it?

What do you make of it?

I haven't read his logic behind it, but don't really understand a benefit to it.

I’m not sure he’ll last all season putting with the flagstick in. It works great if the putt is dead in the heart, but if he’s being aggressive with a putt and hits the flag a little off center it’s coming out more often than not. Should be fun to see how this plays out either way. Maybe it’ll work for him...

That's the new rule right, no penalty for putting with the flag? Maybe he uses his science brain and thinks if it hits the pin it'll drop instead of a putt without the pin that'll lip out or something

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Not my preference. I pull the flag on chips where I can easily see the hole unless it is a downhill chip. I didn't think that new rule went into effect until 2019.

Good point by Big SoIL too about aggressive putts that hit the side of the flagstick.

is he putting everything out though

I don't see the point? Like Soil said....unless its dead square in the middle it could bounce off and not go in?

Hopefully he gets some air time so everyone knows of the new rule.

I don’t think it will last long.

I didn't think that new rule went into effect until 2019.

Ditto. Was this in a tournament?

EDIT: Nevermind. He's not putting with the flag in. He plans to in the future, but he's not right now. That clears that up.

I think Pelz has done some studies to show that the benefits outweigh the downsides of keeping the flag in, so that seems right up Bryson's alley.

Interested to hear his thoughts and the science behind it. Ther must be something there that he thinks gives him an advantage. After all I have heard he is a rather bright individual.

It has been about 70 years since the Rules of Golf permitted a ball touching the flag stick while playing a shot from the putting surface.
I think players will soon find out whether they make more putts with the stick in or out of the hole. Right now I expect nobody knows for sure. The only way to know is to try it.

I think Pelz has done some studies to show that the benefits outweigh the downsides of keeping the flag in, so that seems right up Bryson's alley.

Yes, remember reading the same thing. With Bryson it will be a statistically significant benefit. I don't think he is thinking about speeding up the game...

I seen something along those lines not to long ago. I think the part I read had more to do with someone tending it for you and subconsciously it makes the hole appear big.

I haven't read his logic behind it, but don't really understand a benefit to it.
My recollection from Peltz' book is that it is slightly statistically better to chip with the flag in than out. I can imagine BD extending that logic and figuring he's getting some advantage this way.

My recollection from Peltz' book is that it is slightly statistically better to chip with the flag in than out. I can imagine BD extending that logic and figuring he's getting some advantage this way.

I have read Pelz book, but it has been a while. On putts/chips that die at the hole flag in vs flag out would be the same odds. On a shot traveling with pace at the center of the hole if it hits the flag it is most likely going to bounce away from the hole.

If the stick is not there you have gravity pulling the ball down and I would think I much higher likely hood of staying in the cup.

Regardless of whether it works out for him, hopefully there will be lots of air (and talk) time about it, so that amateurs hear about it. Knowing how they treat Bryson, I'm sure they will talk about it every time he's on the green.

As mentioned earlier, I am confident I read it in my short game Pelz bible. It was suggesting that chipping with flag in had a minor advantage. I personally see it deflecting more putts than it will stop excessively fast putts. I'll continue to pull the flag unless I am playing a solo speed round.

Bryson over analyzing it.... a couple putts with a bit too much pace that ricochet off the flag will probably change his mindset.

Being different just to be different no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another thing that he does that will never catch on (I hope). He has done good things for the game but makes some strange contributions too.

He's getting people riled up and I love it! Keep doing you Bryson.

I love it. Maybe it's because I'm more of a dying speed putter than a holding speed putter, but I believe having it in is more beneficial than taking it out. I remember reading a study done that said it helps more than it hurts to leave it in.

As mentioned earlier, I am confident I read it in my short game Pelz bible. It was suggesting that chipping with flag in had a minor advantage. I personally see it deflecting more putts than it will stop excessively fast putts. I'll continue to pull the flag unless I am playing a solo speed round.

Once the ball is rolling, how is a chip different from a putt?

Back