Just can't get lag in my swing

Where these lessons with a PGA professional at a golf course?

Have you gotten a swing on video and shown Freddie lately?
A local PGA pro who was certified by the golf machine and a guy named Kelvin from Hawaii.Only time I ever saw my swing was at the lessons.Im going to take a week break and try hitting balls again.I invested a lot of time in this so I hate to give up on it.Maybe these things take time like the instructor said.He was such a patient person and I trust what he had to say

Sadly I don't see him refunding it.Just had my last lesson out of the 12 series early last week.If I played right now I'm positive 100 would be a very good score for me.He just told me the more open I can come thru the ball the statighter it goes.If the face is closed it will slice dead right.Than he said my clubs were the problem as well.So far all shanks/tops and weak big slices.Unfortunately I used some of our vacation funds to do these lessons.So any money I spend now will be for playing golf only
I'm easily the worst golfer on these forums.So bad scores are in my makeup.But I'm hitting it worse than what I started
If you can post a swing video and let Tadashi take a look. He has a good set of eyes. Hopefully he can get you pointed in the right direction. If I could make one suggestion it would be to strenghten your grip at least to netural. If not stronger, I don't like the idea of playing with a weak grip. Makes the game harder than it needs to be.

Golf can be frustrating but it should still be enjoyable. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like your enjoying it at the moment. Good news is THP is full of great people who not only can help but also make the game enjoyable.

If the face is closed it will slice dead right.

the laws of physics and the ball flight flaws suggest otherwise. there is no possible situation in which a more closed face will cause a more pronounced left to right shape than a more open face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly I don't see him refunding it.Just had my last lesson out of the 12 series early last week.If I played right now I'm positive 100 would be a very good score for me.He just told me the more open I can come thru the ball the statighter it goes.If the face is closed it will slice dead right.Than he said my clubs were the problem as well.So far all shanks/tops and weak big slices.Unfortunately I used some of our vacation funds to do these lessons.So any money I spend now will be for playing golf only
I'm easily the worst golfer on these forums.So bad scores are in my makeup.But I'm hitting it worse than what I started

Chip get your swing on video. If you can get in good light and maybe slow motion, I will help you out. I'll build on what he tried to teach you.

Chip get your swing on video. If you can get in good light and maybe slow motion, I will help you out. I'll build on what he tried to teach you.
Thanks Tadashi,I might be frustrated now but in the long run this might work well for me.Kinda feel humbled to get real solid instruction from a teaching pro in person.Will work on the video,all the help I can get to be a 90ish shooter would be much appreciated

Thanks Tadashi,I might be frustrated now but in the long run this might work well for me.Kinda feel humbled to get real solid instruction from a teaching pro in person.Will work on the video,all the help I can get to be a 90ish shooter would be much appreciated

Chip I'm happy you found a pro and got lessons. Maybe you're explaining it wrong but based on what you explained, you have a tough road ahead. I'm here if you need assistance

Chip hang in there and don't give up for good. A little break could be good mentally. But getting s second opinion from Freddy or a different PGA pro wouldn't hurt. Sometimes you don't click with a teacher. Some of the things you mentioned recently seemed odd about your teacher....like you didn't hit balls at all for many lessons and him claiming your equipment is an issue? I mean, sure older clubs may not be ideal but for a higher handicapper my experience is its not the bow and arrow, it's the Indian. The weak grip also seems very odd for your situation.

Hang in there.

I agree with everyone else. The only way you could possibly hit it right with the face square or closed is if you're swinging so far outside-in that you're sliding the face across the ball causing a huge amount of side spin. But at the same time, if you were swinging that much outside in, the only thing an open face at impact will do is go even further right, or go high and way short, or both. What he has been teaching you makes no sense at all. Swing path and getting the face square at impact is key.

As mentioned by others in this thread, not really sure how a closed club face will cause a dead slice for your swing.

What I can see happening is that you swing out to in and with a club face that is open relative to the club path but still closed at impact, this will cause the ball to start out to the left and then fade/slice back to the right. Maybe this is what his instructor meant.

I went through three teaching pros before I found one with whom I clicked.

Post a swing video.

If a pro can't explain the ball flight laws to you correctly before your first lesson then you should probably run away and fast.

Here is the best way I've found to hit with plenty of lag easily. Set the right wrist back and swing thru. Really that's it. This is just how you would hit a tennis forehand. The release will happen on it's own. I play a fade and still get nice distance and I am pretty accurate. I score in the low 80's all the time and if putter is behaving, in the 70's. The bonus of this method is you can (and should) use it for driver, irons, pitching, chipping and putting.

Here's 1 minute 30 seconds to easy golf.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_GAEJju9XE

This is a good one too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkVptNsB7Wk

An exercise I used when teach was called the 'pump drill'. It was taught to me and I found it very affective.

You have to get into your address position and then preset the club at a 90* angle with your arms still hanging in front of you. So your knees are bent, you have some waist flex, shoulders back, chest out and the arms hanging. The toe of the club head is pointing to the sky and pointing directly away from the target. The butt or handle of the club should be pointed at the target.

From hear we simply make a sounder turn and swing the club to the top. The club will be short of parallel at the top and the idea is to hold the preset angle and pump the handle of the club down toward the right hip. So from the top of the swing you will physically pull the handle of the club down to your right hip and back up to the top. Do this 3 times and in the third time, swing thru to your finish. You can actually hit a bucket of balls this way. It's not a distance drill so don't worry about how far the ball travels. It's an angles drill as well as a release drill.
Freddie nailed it (again). Most all of the top ranked instructors say this is the best drill for developing lag. I'd add one thing. Sergio Garcia who has phenomenal lag says he's only ever had one thought on the downswing--pull the rope. That is a great swing thought!

After you've worked the pump drill for awhile, consider this as a next step to add distance.

Complete your backswing (coil) by lifting your hands (trying to get your hands as far away from your head as possible) and let the heel of your front foot lift. Then plant that heel as you simultaneously pull on the rope. This has a number of benefits that generate additional swing speed. It gets you connected to the ground, promotes a proper ground up sequencing of the swing, proper weight shift, resulting in even more swing speed. You may however, have to work on your setup and backswing to get the full benefit. You need a well balanced setup and a backswing with coil (not the fake turn of lifting the club in front that so many do). Also, rotate those shoulders AND hips. If you are still 20-something then you can try the X-factor of resisting the hip turn while maximizing the shoulder turn. The rest of us need to turn those hips freely.

Well, I did the pump drill tonight at practice and it was money. I've been trying to come more inside and not as steep. This move was one of the most effective at helping me do that with nice lag.

Highly recommend.

Back