Fitting Question: Torn between shafts

Reaction score
Handicap
I can get a really good deal on a complete set of PING golf clubs.

The problem is that i can't decide on any golf shafts.

7 iron clubhead speed: 80 mph
7 iron carry distance: 155 yards
Quick transition
High launch/high spin player

Small tear in my rotator cuff which has significantly reduced my range of motion and clubhead speed.

I did an "iron fitting" last night at Golf Galaxy and every shaft produced almost identical results. The top 3 were DG120 S300, DG105 S300 & DG105 R300.

Right now I am leaning towards Kuro Kage Silver Dual Core TiNi in driver/3 wood/3 hybrid, DG 105 S300 in the irons, DG 115 in the wedges...

Thoughts?

I would try to borrow a club or two or three with the different shafts and play some shots on the golf course (or at least at a grass driving range)with same. This process will give you the correct answer for which shaft is best for you.

I always liked the old Mizuno shaft optimizer that spit out a bunch of info. Basically saying that you should go heavier and stiffer with a faster tempo.. That said, 80mph is pretty bubble for stiff and regular flex. You can lean on the flex to support reduced spin and flight, but it may cause you to get more aggressive into the ball which inadvertently adds both by error.

If 120 S3, 105 R3, and 105 S3 showed absolutely identical results, I'd personally go elsewhere for a confirmation fitting. That seems amiss. There wasn't even a slight variance in numbers?

The DG 120 S300 spun 200 rpm's more than the other two. Carry and total were identical.

Sounds similar to my swing except I have a little faster swing speed, 165 carry on 7 iron. I use the DG 120s and the Kuro Kage in driver and hybrid. I like this setup. I have tried at least 6 different driver shafts and keep winding back with the KK.

If you tend to have a quicker transition and you're able to handle it with your shoulder surgeries, I'd go with the heavier one. I find that for quick tempos, a lighter shaft can lead to some inconsistencies because the club can move wherever it wants if that makes sense.

Since you're a high launch/high spin player, I'd go with the stiff to potentially bring flight down a little.

As for woods, I'm willing to bet that the Golf Galaxy you would buy from uses the same ordering book we use at our location and the hybrid shaft is a Kuro Kage Black. More of a mid flight/spin whereas the silver would be more low to mid-low flight and spin. If you were looking to keep everything consistent, I would go with the Kuro Kage Black in the driver and woods since the hybrid is the black. If you want to lower your flight/spin a little, I'd do the Silver in the woods and you'll still have the black in the hybrids.

For wedges, most of the time you want to keep the same weight shaft as your irons but got with one flex softer since you're mostly doing half to 3/4 swings. So if you follow that general rule of thumb with the recommendation above, you would go 115 S300 in irons and 115 R300 in wedges. Again that's assuming you don't do full swing with wedges.

If you have any other questions dont hesitate to ask. I'd love to help you out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I might offer something a bit different.
Have you tried a shaft that is lighter still?
Yes a quicker transition usually likes a heavier shaft but just how is it now that you have had the injury and the SS is lower.
I am only stated this because all the shaft seemed to provide no change and that maybe there is a swing issue causing the results.
A lighter shaft "might change the way you deliver the club to the ball.

I did an "iron fitting" last night at Golf Galaxy and every shaft produced almost identical results. The top 3 were DG120 S300, DG105 S300 & DG105 R300.

Identical in what respect? What did you measure and how?

I might offer something a bit different.
Have you tried a shaft that is lighter still?
Yes a quicker transition usually likes a heavier shaft but just how is it now that you have had the injury and the SS is lower.
I am only stated this because all the shaft seemed to provide no change and that maybe there is a swing issue causing the results.
A lighter shaft "might change the way you deliver the club to the ball.

Graphite iron shafts really should be an option for him as well. Recoils can prove to be very stable at lighter weights and can handle a quicker transition and help with swing speed.

Not trying to be a smart ass but if the three shafts are the same maybe just pick one.

I went and hit between 150-200 balls the other day. The clear winner repeatedly was the DG 105 R300. I hit 5 balls with each shaft and either the i210 or i500, rotating between all 3 and changing up the order so as not to get into a pattern. Testing was done with a brand new Chrome Soft from my own bag

Average was 160 yards, 108 ball speed, 21* launch and 7000 rpm's of back spin. I had the ball too far forward in my stance. Once I moved it back to the middle, launch came down and spin came down to 6500'ish range.

Back