TaylorMade M2 Driver Preview

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Keeping the name in the M family, the M2 will be released in a few days. More details including in hand pics in the coming week as THP will have full details.

CZkdpydVAAAjeD_.jpg

Last edited:
Goodbye Aeroburner, hello M2. Hopefully it takes off like the M1 did and they have a full lineup of great clubs. It's only good for consumers that way

​I hope the best for them.

I will wait for the early returns on these. It's hard to get behind TM at this time.

• Admin
Goodbye Aeroburner, hello M2. Hopefully it takes off like the M1 did and they have a full lineup of great clubs. It's only good for consumers that way

This is correct, as it was stated in the THP article last month. I know people will flock to the "they release too fast" and "the M1 is already obsolete", but that is not the case. While I dont think they should have released it yet, since everybody (including me) knew it was coming, I do believe they should have gone with a different naming convention.

The average golfer is not going to listen to their marketing about the M Family, and instead view it as a replacement, although a quick look will see it is "stripped down" (I dont mean that negatively). I also think the price is bold at $349 based on the last 24 months for them, but we shall see.

This is correct, as it was stated in the THP article last month. I know people will flock to the "they release too fast" and "the M1 is already obsolete", but that is not the case. While I dont think they should have released it yet, since everybody (including me) knew it was coming, I do believe they should have gone with a different naming convention.

The average golfer is not going to listen to their marketing about the M Family, and instead view it as a replacement, although a quick look will see it is "stripped down" (I dont mean that negatively). I also think the price is bold at $349 based on the last 24 months for them, but we shall see.

$299 would have been better IMO. And for the name I agree. M2 gives the impression they've moved on from M1. They could have gone with M1 Burner or M1 Aero. But then again what do I know lol

If it is even close to as good as the M1 it should be great. Looking forward to finding out what improvements they made compared to the Aeroburner because it was pretty good by itself.

This should be an interesting thread. Looking forward to more details on the M2.

Different segment so it doesn't replace the M1, yet it's named like a M1 replacement? That's going to get people riled up.

Definitely on my list to hit in 2016, looks pretty darn good.

Different segment so it doesn't replace the M1, yet it's named like a M1 replacement? That's going to get people riled up.

It's a confusing message for sure

It's a confusing message for sure
Wish they had kept the Burner naming to it or something. People know it and trust it. Then again, maybe they are trying to push that idea of premium offering at a better price?

Either way, I'm going to want to hit it and find out more about the entire family of M2 products.

I hope this one is successful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be interested to see what the story is on this one. While the M1 seems to be more forgiving than the R15 and SLDR was, it's still not a super forgiving driver. If the M2 is low and forward CG like the Aero, I don't know if it does anything for them except provide a price point.

In regards to this whole naming controversy. Here's my thoughts.

So say Avg Joe golfer (Not on the forums. Not in the "know" per se) walks into Golfsmith and see the shiny new M2 for $349. Two things are likely to happen.

A. He also notices the M1 for $499 and asks a Salesman why there is a price difference from the M1. Salesperson explains the M2 is their B driver if you will (along the lines of the RBZ, Jetspeed, AeroBurnerr lines) and accordingly gives the breakdown on its technology and adjustability compared to the M1. Which now gives the buyer a choice on which to buy. An informed decision if you will.

Or B. If Avg Joe REALLY thinks the M2 is a replacement for the M1 he immediately picks it up because it's $150 cheaper.
I can't see this really happening, but if it does what's the big deal? The buyer "thinks" he got a great deal on TM's latest and greatest. What's so wrong about that? In the end he still got a good driver.

I guess one could argue that they should have been released together but a staggered release cycle is not new. OEMs want interest drummed up every few months to spark sales.

Havent hit the m1 so now interested in trying this one out too

If the M2 is low and forward CG like the Aero, I don't know if it does anything for them except provide a price point.

The weight port on this one is near the back. Much similar to the r9 460 which was regarded as a spinnier, high launching, forgiving driver. In my opinion this is a good move for TM as it should work for the masses and not just on perfect strikes like the forward CG recent offerings.

The M1 was a very average performer for me. I get the same or better results out of my Jetspeed. TM has a huge following at my club so I'm sure I'll be seeing lots of M2's soon.

Im in the boat that the naming convention should have been different. That's an interesting price point but when the m1 is at $499 it seems somewhat reasonable but still might have been better at the $299 mark

I think it makes sense and fills out their driver offerings but I agree...the name adds to confusion and separation of the two. Confusing and frustrating a customer might not be the best way to market products.

I was wondering about these after seeing a teaser on GC. Hopefully it's a hit for them and will continue a good trend.

The M line has me wanting to hit both the M1 and M2. First time I can say that about Taylormade drivers in awhile.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm going to give it a try.

As I've mentioned in another thread, the naming here is ludicrous. Taylormade just can't get out of their own way.

Back