What have you learned about your swing this year?

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
To me, one of the great victories in this maddening addiction we have is when we figure out how to fix our swing mid-round. For years, my miss has been on the heel and I even have periods where I struggle with the s___k, that shot that shall not be named. I had two periods this year where I hit so many shots off the heel. I think I have finally figured out how to fix it. For me, it is when I fail to rotate my body back through the downswing, failing to leave room to bring the club back through. It happens more when I am fatigued and get lazy, making more of an arms swing. The last round I played, I had done a big workout prior to the round. I was walking a course with a lot of elevation change on the back 9 and I started hitting everything off of the heel, no s____s, thank goodness. I started using a swing thought of getting my belt buckle turned to the target and bam, problem solved. I finished the round strong, hitting the last four greens in regulation to shoot a 75, after losing 4 shots to par on holes 9 through 14. It was one of my most satisfying rounds of the year.

What have you discovered about your swing this year?

Touch with short game is the first to go but my putter is on fast greens. I went from being a magician with a wedge out of the bunkers to “guard your nuts cause I have no clue where this is going”!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When it starts to go, quit strangling the club and keep my head down. Try to erase everything else from my thoughts and just swing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I can hit the ball a LONG way when I have an optimal setup.
My flaws aren't absolute.
Fun Dan is way better than serious Dan.
There's still more to accomplish.

Shorter and more deliberate backswing = better and faster downswing. Ball go far when it all works out.

What have I learned?

That it takes a long time to tear apart a bad swing and build one that works consistently.

What have I learned?

That it takes a long time to tear apart a bad swing and build one that works consistently.

I recall other of your posts where you indicate that you have been working on a swing change. What have you been changing? What is your focus?

I recall other of your posts where you indicate that you have been working on a swing change. What have you been changing? What is your focus?

Every darn thing since March 2017.

Primary focus lately is (1) right side bend and opening the hips and (2) reducing an in to out path - to get it down to no more than 4 degrees by swinging left through impact. Sometimes it involves thinking "cut" and it works. When I think "cut," it sometimes gets it down to less than 1 or negative. It's a process but it involves a left arm folding and relaxed against the body.

I say primary focus because I'm working on using my feet to push against the ground, a slight hip slide, getting on the front foot and great balance.

Its flawed but it's all mine.

I stopped worrying about what may need fixing and just played. That's not a rock solid line of thinking as my sand play, for example, was terrible all season and never adequately addressed.

But overall, I let go of any anxieties, any feelings of inadequacy in my game. Just played, like a kid, having fun. Always.

Well, not much and everything :D Started golf this year and with furious swing training (100-200 shots w/o ball a day), weekly range sessions and weekly niners with low handicapper friends, I have been able to produce quite consistent swing with semioptimal timing/sequencing between lower body, upper body and hands.

First big thing was to understand how to rotate around my spine and not swaying from right to left during downswing. Second was to has proper address/setup sequence to acquire optimal distance from the ball. Third was to turn off the hands and using body rotation to initiate swing. Fourth was to concentrate on the fundamentals and feedback points (looking over my should at the end of backswing, club touching back of the head after downswing, knee touching front leg, etc).

Currently working on swing thought regarding proper release angle i.e hands straight after impact till 30-45 degrees.

I have learned to complete my swing. I have learned to strike crisply on my short chips. And lastly I have learned to swing through on my putts. But truthfully they are all related. Complete the stroke and be aggressive in all aspects when striking the ball. That works for me.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

To me, one of the great victories in this maddening addiction we have is when we figure out how to fix our swing mid-round. For years, my miss has been on the heel and I even have periods where I struggle with the s___k, that shot that shall not be named. I had two periods this year where I hit so many shots off the heel. I think I have finally figured out how to fix it. For me, it is when I fail to rotate my body back through the downswing, failing to leave room to bring the club back through. It happens more when I am fatigued and get lazy, making more of an arms swing. The last round I played, I had done a big workout prior to the round. I was walking a course with a lot of elevation change on the back 9 and I started hitting everything off of the heel, no s____s, thank goodness. I started using a swing thought of getting my belt buckle turned to the target and bam, problem solved. I finished the round strong, hitting the last four greens in regulation to shoot a 75, after losing 4 shots to par on holes 9 through 14. It was one of my most satisfying rounds of the year.

What have you discovered about your swing this year?

This is one I have to make sure of. I dont hit heel shots though I start pulling it left because my hands get faster than my hips.

One thing that I continue to re-learn is to slow down backswing allowing me to fully complete my backswing, net result is smoother swing and straighter ball flight. I have a tendency to get quick on my back swing thus I do not complete fully my BS, I then come down too quick, timing is off and result is timing out of sync and longish hook-draw. For whatever reason, my brain turns off and thinks a faster BS and follow-through will produce the desireable result. I have found for myself tempo is key, but remains a continuous reinforcement process.

One thing that I continue to re-learn is to slow down backswing allowing me to fully complete my backswing, net result is smoother swing and straighter ball flight. I have a tendency to get quick on my back swing thus I do not complete fully my BS, I then come down too quick, timing is off and result is timing out of sync and longish hook-draw. For whatever reason, my brain turns off and thinks a faster BS and follow-through will produce the desireable result. I have found for myself tempo is key, but remains a continuous reinforcement process.

Ive got the same problem with the opposite result, I end up slicing the ball more often than a hook. When I can get my timing right my swing works pretty well.

Exactly the same for me. Quick and short, going right. Sometime way way right. Also, stay down and thru the ball and wow, she is straight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That when it gets too long it gets erratic and inconsistent. A shorter much more compact swing provides me so much more control and consistency. It’s also a myth that you lose yardage with said short swing. Ohh, I also relearned how bad my putting is lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the great news is that i am learning. my grip was not correct, i was not driving thru with my right side and finishing, and my front foot continually spins out. The bad news is that i continually forget to correct those things!

I've learned that sometimes less is more and to stop over thinking everything in my swing.

I've learned that if my mind is cluttered don't even bother playing golf. To swing freely I need to think clearly....wow I think I just impressed myself with those words haha

As another poster said: trying to accept the swing I have an enjoy the round

I've finally learned to embrace my swing as imperfect and ugly as it is (i shuddered when I watched a video of it...). It's as good as it's going to get for the amount of time I'm willing to put into it.

Not so much discovered but continued to realized I use my arms way too much and not enough hip action. That's a recipe for disaster.

I've learned to keep my backswing slow and controlled more, then making sure my follow through accelerates more gradually, and not to be as jerky. Sounds weird but makes sense in my mind.

Also, I have always had a little wiggle back and forth with my feet and club while I give my target one final look before going back to the ball and swinging. I have caught myself staring at the ball longer at times before I swing and those shots never go well. Now I use my wiggle as the "start" of my swing and try to do it the same each time. Makes my pre-shot routine feel more systematic.

I've learned that it changes day to day, week to week, season to season, and to just play what I bring that day. Also, short game key to success is to not decel!!!!

Back