Winter golf...At what cold temp do you draw the line? When do you say "its too cold"

I can play in the low 30s if it's sunny

I go by the "feels like" temp to factor in the wind. 40 and up, let's play!

Gunner and I determined this last week. It’s mid 30s. If it’s windy it’s 40s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunner and I determined this last week. It’s mid 30s. If it’s windy it’s 40s.

Same here around Indy. I tee'd off yesterday at 845am mid 40s and two club wind the entire round. It was chilly but not uncomfortable, just gotta layer up and hand warmers.

45* IF there is no wind and its sunny. If the course it wet I'm not bothering either

45* IF there is no wind and its sunny. If the course it wet I'm not bothering either

I’m with ya on the wet course and under 45. This also applies if it’s frozen

40 degrees is my low limit (if it’s sunny and calm).

One exception is our annual New Year’s Day hangover tourney. We play 9 holes regardless of the temperature - as long as it’s dry and not snow-covered we’ll play. It was in the teens a couple years back. Brutal but fun.

Haven't hit that threshold yet. Got an Adidas base layer shirt and ClimaWarm jacket a few weeks ago and it's a game changer. It was 46 with no sun and I had to unzip the jacket a bit because I was getting too warm.

Haven't really found anything too cold yet. Have played in like -5 while snow was in the air and finished the round. Sometimes with the right people, conditions don't really matter and it's all about just getting out.

40s and no rain. I can play with some wind, but the rain at that temperature shuts me down

Anything below 30* ... frost delays, greens are rock hard, can't get your tee in the ground but with a hammer, etc. That's when I start to think about hunting instead.

I've teed it up in the low 30s during an unseasonably "warm" December. It wasn't overly pleasant but it was an opportunity to say we played in December in Wisconsin. Anything sub-40* F and I'm happy to stay at home.

Come on, wind and rain is fun! You get the course to yourself most of the time.

I'll admit combined with cold it really sucks ut it's not going to stop me.
I hate windy rains when its warm. But 30 and windy and rainy (or should we say freezing rain) . No thanks.

Posted on Tapatalk via my Motorola RAZR

It depends on if it's a special round or not. If it's not going to get into the 60s I don't have much interest in playing. I will do considerably colder if it's a course I've really wanted to play or a THP event.

At least 40* and sunny, here in WNY you gotta play til the snow flies!

To me, you hit the two key words, “wind” and “sunny.” I can easily play in the 40’s, if it is sunny and no wind. If it is 53 degrees, but cloudy and the wind howling, it is a no go. Likewise, 50’s and raining would be a no go.

100% this

Yup, it's all about the wind chill, for instance yesterday was only 50 but with zero wind, so it felt like 65 in the sun, but if a small wind kicked up that 50 would have felt like 40 and then I'm done.

I would say I'm generally OK with any real feel in the 50's.

Last edited:
As long as the course will let me on it I'm good to go. Provided there's little rain and little wind, that's my only reason I won't. One local course will let you out all winter as long as the greens aren't frozen. There were quite a few rounds played last year when I was the only one out there. Sometimes I only played 5 holes or 7 holes though. Those two holes end at the parking lot so it's a good stopping point if I'm just out practicing. I probably have played 18 holes worth of shots in 7 holes playing alone on an empty course anyways.

Since I started playing and with the group that took me out it was year round as log as the course was open. Happy to play at 32 degrees in most conditions just to get my fix. Prefer the cold over hot, not keen on howling wind, though a strong wind with rain puts me off.

I Play in NYC and if the temps are above freezing and the greens are not frozen the public courses are normally open, I've played every month this year and see a fair amount of diehards like myself out. The worst part of winter/cold weather golf is being bundled up in layers of warm weather attire as I like to be unwrapped.

My wife stops playing when the temps get to 50 and below. Hence our move south to NC so she can have a bit more of a year round golf fix :)

Well, I'd say about 30° when the ground isn't frozen. Nothing drives me nuts like not being able to stick a tee in the ground, so I'll play just about anytime as long as it's not raining and the ground's not frozen.

50 degrees!!

As long as there is no wind and the forecast is for it to warm up, I'll even start up in temps in the high 30's. Even 50 degrees with a cold North wind can be too cold for me.

This time of year, it's the sun I look for more than air temp. As long as it's sunny with not much wind and the course if fairly dry, I'll play in almost any temp.

No wind I can do low 50’s/high 40’s... wind is a deal breaker for me.

I suppose a lot of opinions depends on where one is at. In more northern teratories not only is the body a bit better adjusted for colder weather, but you need to find a way of extending what is otherwise a shorter season.

Back