Winter golf...At what cold temp do you draw the line? When do you say "its too cold"

10*C with little or no wind and I am good to go.

I'll tee off in the lower 30's. It tends to warm up fairly quickly anyway.

I did last year on a few occasions.

Luckily, we don't see too many days like that in the local area.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If the ground is frozen, its no fun.

I’d probably think twice if I ever had to play in trousers instead of shorts. Its why I ruled out taking my clubs with me when I go back to the UK for Xmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will play in the 40's depending on wind/rain. Have played when it was colder with a cart cover and heater. So, no temp is too cold for me. But snow on the ground will stop me.

It's never too cold. Played around in February in a tournament where it fluctuated between 27° and 34° with wind and rain. I just layered. Mobility is a challenge, but it's still fun. I'll take cold over too hot any day.

Correct. If I can find a course that'll let me on it there's a chance I'll play in any cold temp. I stayed home several times this summer when it was 95* and muggy. That's no fun to my fat carcass.

As others have stated - WIND is the key, at least for me. I can play in the low 40's, even survive high 30's, as long as there is no wind. Unfortunately our little town in southern NJ has to be one of the windiest places I've ever been in.

well...I golfed this past weekend, it was 4C (39F), had some wind, some rain in the face for about 10 minutes, not much sun (only about 5 minutes worth), generally grey, damp and cold.... but I think I found the limit of what I am willing to golf in....LOL

I always said if I have to wear more than a sweater, I'm out, but I was desperate to get one more round in before things close down up here....so I tuffed it out

Irony..... I golfed one of my best rounds ever. Shot an 89, didn't incur a single penalty. Just struggled reaching greens as I struggled to adjust for the cold and how it effected distance. I was layered up, so it restricted my back swing..... suddenly had so much more control...lets call this an ah-ha moment for me :) :) :)

30's are fine if the wind is under 10mph. It really is all about the wind for the most part when it's under 50 degrees. I'll play, but I want to be at least somewhat comfortable and enjoying myself. Otherwise, why even be put there?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My threshold is the low 30s.

i will say one thing about this winter stuff. Golf isnt as pretty when trees are bare and brownish is the new green. Ther is just something about it that doesnt speak as pleasantly in terms of being on a golf course. Perhaps for oter things its ok but just doesnt really fit the scene for golf. Its oartly what i find less attractive about links golf. Just not enough greenery for me in many cases.

At this time of year, it is about 50 degrees. Once it's been below freezing for a while, 40 degrees would be warm enough if it's not windy.

50* is still shorts weather lol

Last year there was no limit as the video below indicates. This year it's well above that due to the virtual driving range in my garage with a propane heater..

https://youtu.be/uOMIMHsvjPo

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Usually 30 with no wind and sun. All depends on how long it’s been since last round. If it’s been a few weeks then we’ll creep into the 20’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually temps in the low 40's. I would just cut it off after Thanksgiving if I were by myself but my guys play until the place closes in mid December. It's not like they discount our green fees.

I played in 18° weather last two seasons. With no wind it's not that bad.

Low 30's if it is sunny out. The worst I played in was 33 and pouring rain for a winter league tournament. What made that even worse was I had just got back from Hawaii 2 days earlier where it was 85 every day.

I am a mid 40's temp guy, but like others have said that is wind and amount of sunshine dependent. If it is 45 with no win and sunny then I will tee it up. Cloudy with wind at 52 then I am most likely not going out.

Once we get into the 40's, I am checking out.

Below 30 is my limit.
100 miles south of here they don't get much snow at all, but it does get that cold.
So, I will drive to get out of the snow and play, but when it hits 30 degrees, not worth my time.

Below 50 has always been my cut off

Back