Winter golf...At what cold temp do you draw the line? When do you say "its too cold"

It's not the cold that kills my game it's my hands... when the ground gets really hard I start to put my left wrist in jeopardy. I have a history of tendinitis in the hand and its sidelined me before to the tune of 2 seasons so I cant repeat that experience again.

It's not the cold that kills my game it's my hands... when the ground gets really hard I start to put my left wrist in jeopardy. I have a history of tendinitis in the hand and its sidelined me before to the tune of 2 seasons so I cant repeat that experience again.

It's funny because down here in Louisville, I never think of the ground getting hard during the winter, it just stays wet and soggy. It doesn't get cold enough to freeze the ground very often, but it doesn't get hot enough to dry anything up either. It's just fat-hitting-causing muck through the winter here LOL!

It's funny because down here in Louisville, I never think of the ground getting hard during the winter, it just stays wet and soggy. It doesn't get cold enough to freeze the ground very often, but it doesn't get hot enough to dry anything up either. It's just fat-hitting-causing muck through the winter here LOL!

We basically have that until it hardens up. I'm getting out this morning for 9 holes and I expect to basically dig a well each time I swing. Once the freeze comes, if it's below freezing for a stretch the ground will stay hard until there's a stretch of warmer weather, even if we get above freezing.

Stupid cold climate.

We basically have that until it hardens up. I'm getting out this morning for 9 holes and I expect to basically dig a well each time I swing. Once the freeze comes, if it's below freezing for a stretch the ground will stay hard until there's a stretch of warmer weather, even if we get above freezing.

Stupid cold climate.

You club up, sometimes twice, because of the risk of the fat shot and knowing it is stopping dead where it lands. Also use a lot more PW around the green and stop using the sand and lob wedge totally, they are just to hard for me to hit out of muck.

Well it is snowing today, so that would be a no on golf today.

My late duck-hunting father-in-law and I played a course in Long Branch, NJ one New Year's Day when the high was 4 degrees F. Winter greens and all that. And we weren't the only ones on the course.

Now, I will play as long as the courses are open, but 40* in late April seems a lot warmer than 40* in mid-October. I'm more anxious to get out in the spring.

It's not so much the cold it's cold + wind.

I can do 40's if there is no wind but rarely have I ever had the opportunity to play in that temperature.

32* start & 40* for a high.

We have gone off in the 30's a few times, but that was just for pure meanness and the goof of it.

Doesn't happen too often here in Central Florida maybe only a couple of days or at most weeks in the year. Seems like that day we played Innsbrook it was pretty brisk...Pkorf had gloves on eating his lunch...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

As long as it’s dry, until the courses close regardless of temp

I’ll let you know tomorrow. Supposed to be 30 at T time. See if my tolerance level is still as good as last year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im from Wisconsin, there is no temp where I draw the line. If the courses were open all winter, Id still go out. Most them shut down for the year when the temps dip below freezing though and when they shut down, Im pretty much done, other than hitting up the local heated range or Top Golf.

Played yesterday after a one hour frost delay and I guess it was about 35, but sunny. Actually, was a great day out there wind not to bad.

It was 55 Friday morning so I said no thanks.

Of course the wind being 50+ sort of factored in to that. :D

A "Feels Like" temp of under 32 degrees, and I'm out... Above that I will play...

Below 45 is usually the no go. Sometimes it depends on the wind and sun out.

South Texas? I play year round regardless of temp.

A "Feels Like" temp of under 32 degrees, and I'm out... Above that I will play...

Same here. Sun being out makes a huge difference for me. Also, I don't really do cold and wet or cold and windy... Cold is fine, but sprinkle that with any garbage and I'm probably out.

I get pissed when my GIR shots skip off the green because of ice, but nothing other than unplayable snow stops my new found golf addiction..

Hampton Roads area doesn't get that much snow so we can play pretty much through the winter. Like others have stated, it's more about conditions vs temps. 35 and sunny with no wind trumps 50 with rain and wind any day.

As I get older this definitely changes. Used to be as long as a course is open, I'll try. A nice golf simulator place opened up by me and has "winter" leagues...now I just do that instead.

Back