Winter golf...At what cold temp do you draw the line? When do you say "its too cold"

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
Winter golf...At what cold temp do you draw the line? When do you say "its too cold"

Obviously snow and course closures are an issue. But if open when do you say "its too cold"
I'll play as long as daytime high is expected to be low 40's. As long as no wind and if no wind and also sunny I dont mind at all.

But that said, alot depeds on my mindset. There comes a time when I just hang it up for the season. I look forward to skiing (when i can go). Taking care of family ibs for the holidays, etc.etc....

But for right now (this year thus far) just give me "no wind" and Ill be fine into the 40's. Honestly id rather gof 45* than 95 and humid. But again....not if too windy. That imo makes all the difference.

Usually about the time the course starts closing. Highs in the low 40s with freezes overnight will put my game on hold.

To me, you hit the two key words, “wind” and “sunny.” I can easily play in the 40’s, if it is sunny and no wind. If it is 53 degrees, but cloudy and the wind howling, it is a no go. Likewise, 50’s and raining would be a no go.

At this time of year, it is about 50 degrees. Once it's been below freezing for a while, 40 degrees would be warm enough if it's not windy.

At this time of year, it is about 50 degrees. Once it's been below freezing for a while, 40 degrees would be warm enough if it's not windy.

Yea.....funny how even 50 can feel ok if at the end of winter but feel cold after summer..lol

Todays round it was 45 and NNW winds around 12mph the entire time and overcast. It wasn't bad walking. Wind is the whole key. Stays ten or below and I will go down to about 38°. Definitely not playing in any winter rain, and most all rounds will be walking.
I like winter golf, the course is usually empty, and the crisp air is relaxing.

Probably mid 40s for me, and it would be higher on a windy day.

Todays round it was 45 and NNW winds around 12mph the entire time and overcast. It wasn't bad walking. Wind is the whole key. Stays ten or below and I will go down to about 38°. Definitely not playing in any winter rain, and most all rounds will be walking.
I like winter golf, the course is usually empty, and the crisp air is relaxing.
On another note .....That sounds like great striper fishing weather (NW winds) but actually another 5 or more mph wind (white water type) lol. The more miserable the fisherman the better the striper fishing. But got to be west or NW.

It was 30°F at the start of my round this am. Sun was out and no wind, so it felt like 45-50°.

Upper 30s is okay if it's less than 10mph wind and sunny.

I’ve played in low to mid 30s with wind. Wouldn’t exactly say it was fun, but it was an experience.

I've yet to find that number. Coldest I've played in was -15 Celsius...its not really golf at that point but it's still fun.

when they close, other than that, I will play.

Last year, played at 32F and the wind was about 20 mph on the 18th hole - would not have played with that wind the entire round.

I'd say about 35F with wind less than 10 mph

It's never too cold. Played around in February in a tournament where it fluctuated between 27° and 34° with wind and rain. I just layered. Mobility is a challenge, but it's still fun. I'll take cold over too hot any day.

Living in the San Francisco Bay Area I observe some very strange answers to this question. For me, in this environment, it never happens. But today I went to the driving range and saw something that is not at all unusual here. A couple was leaving as I headed in. The young lady was wearing a winter stocking cap, a heavy sweatshirt, and jean shorts. BTW, it was 74 degrees.

It's not unusual seeing someone bundled up like an Eskimo at the North Pole in 60-degree weather. One time I met a young man who was wearing long johns at this time of year...while he worked at the mall.

Mid 40's if sunny and no wind.

33 degrees for me. Have teed of in the snow. I rarely play below 38 if it is raining. The season would be 2+ months shorter in NE Ohio if I was picky about weather.

1) When the greens have the covers on them 2) Greens are frozen 3) or windchill makes it unbearable

It's never too cold. Played around in February in a tournament where it fluctuated between 27° and 34° with wind and rain. I just layered. Mobility is a challenge, but it's still fun. I'll take cold over too hot any day.
I hate windy rains when its warm. But 30 and windy and rainy (or should we say freezing rain) . No thanks.

Anything below 50 and I'm out. And if it's 50 and 20 mph winds I'm out because of the wind chill

Really depends on the other elements, but my number to get my attention is 45*. But 40 and sunny with no wind? Might be fine. 50 with wind and rain? No way jose. Wind is the major factor to decide if I play, usually.

If the course is open, I'll play. Waited through a couple of frost delays last season.

Back