Putter Loft - Have you checked your Putter loft / Lie angle

ProZoneGolf

Clubmaker/Fitter
Reaction score
Handicap
Putter Loft - Have you checked your Putter loft / Lie angle?

I am putting this post up as I think its one of the most un-checked things in golf. IMO: Most putters are made at approx 4 deg loft?, I think this loft is for muni greens that have longer grass.
I have my scotty 2.6 bent to 2 deg, and I feel it gets rolling better, on firmer greens that are mowed fairly tight. Have you had yours checked?, what style greens do you putt on?
Putting is the most important shot in golf, golfers are very fussy about driver loft they bag, and LA it produces, yet your putter is off the shelf, prob has a loft that you don't know, and possibly a lie angle toe up or down slightly to your setup. Would you consider checking your putter? Where?...Who has a putter loft in lie machine near you?

Can you comment on any improvement to your putting with the loft/lie adjustment. Thanks

NB: Hogan said he would never bet money with a player who had a putter with a flat lie angle at set up 'they were deadly' (perhaps they putted with the putter closer to their feet more upright SBT stroke...I am not sure...)

I have all of my putters set at 69 degree lie angle. I was fit to this at the SeeMore headquarters a year and a half ago. All lofts are standard at 2.5 - 3 degrees.

I just had a putter fitting from Ken at Flanigan Bilt putters. It was a great and unique experience.

My putter was set for 4* but I deloft the shaft 1.9* so I have an effective loft of 2.1*.

Ken gave us a great report, some good tips, and drills to help each of us on our putting stroke.

Standard loft of the company/putter-maker as they know their designs best and I do not forward press. Lie angle is 68*.

As to the loft issue, most are not producing 4* and have not for some time. The majority sit around 3* or lower which is very effective in today's surfaces. The only significant reason to have loft adjusted at this point is for those that forward press or those moving to the arm lock style.

Putter Loft - Have you checked your Putter loft / Lie angle?

I am putting this post up as I think its one of the most un-checked things in golf. IMO: Most putters are made at approx 4 deg loft?, I think this loft is for muni greens that have longer grass.
I have my scotty 2.6 bent to 2 deg, and I feel it gets rolling better, on firmer greens that are mowed fairly tight. Have you had yours checked?, what style greens do you putt on?
Putting is the most important shot in golf, golfers are very fussy about driver loft they bag, and LA it produces, yet your putter is off the shelf, prob has a loft that you don't know, and possibly a lie angle toe up or down slightly to your setup. Would you consider checking your putter? Where?...Who has a putter loft in lie machine near you?

Can you comment on any improvement to your putting with the loft/lie adjustment. Thanks

NB: Hogan said he would never bet money with a player who had a putter with a flat lie angle at set up 'they were deadly' (perhaps they putted with the putter closer to their feet more upright SBT stroke...I am not sure...)

Yes, I had my putter fit for me. I think loft/lie on all clubs is the most unchecked thing in golf especially over time. Do you check the iron measurements every year?

I would get my clubs bent at a local brick and mortar such as golf galaxy. Wouldn't let them do the fitting, but would tell them the specs I wanted.

Hopefully you remembers that when you bent your scotty to 2 deg, you also opened the face of the putter at setup so you may need to realign your grip.

There are several parameters to consider when determining loft of putter. Greens are one since the goal is to "launch" the ball out of the depression that the ball creates. I think ideal launch angle has been proven to be 2 to 2.5 degrees. That doesn't necessarily mean that you should set your putter to that loft; you need to evaluate your stroke to determine if you are adding or subtracting loft at impact. I lowered the loft on my putter because I add about 1 degree of loft at impact.

Just like trackman and flightscope are for iron/wood fitting, SAM Puttlab is the standard to putter fitting. It helps to determine if you have the right loft, correct face angle and impact, path, etc. With this information you can start to learn the impacts of weight, shaft location, offset, COG, etc on the rotation of a putter. when you know the rotational requirements of your stroke you can then get a properly fit putter.

I own many putters and most are 3 degrees and standard lie angle but several have been flattened a degree or two.

I started using a forward press a few months ago so my current gamer is 6.5 degrees loft.

To set my grip (while its drying asap) I get on a hardwood floor, line my putter up square with the planks, then close my eyes and go back n forth, then stop at impact (floor joint), from here I tweak the drying grip to my hands and stroke. That way I can find square with my eyes closed. For me its a tad open face, or the grip turned fwd a tiny tad, most could not see it looking down the shaft, but I can. You would be surprised how many golfers putter grips I see that are not on straight, from leading OEM's

I have all of my putters set at 69 degree lie angle. I was fit to this at the SeeMore headquarters a year and a half ago. All lofts are standard at 2.5 - 3 degrees.

This is the same for me as well. All my SeeMore's are set up the same way. Including my GIANT aka "Jack". Man I need to roll him again.

Back