Could you do single length irons exclusively for one season?

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Talking to friends over the weekend about single length or one length irons, and I asked the question, could you do it for a season? Give it a full shot, not tinker and go back to another set, but stay with them for one season. One said maybe and the other said no way it's too strange. So how about you? If you could get fit for a one length set, could you game them for a full season without switching back to anything during that time period? What do you think would be the biggest adjustment for you?

Great idea for a thread.

I could, but it would depend on getting the requisite performance from the 4-6 irons. So I could do it for the irons, but don't think I can commit all the way to lob wedge.

I'm sure I *could* but I think it would probably take more than a full season to get used to it after playing traditional length clubs for my entire life. I think the biggest adjustment would be the short irons/wedges.

While I don't subscribe to the concept, if I was fit for them and all, I would give it a try for a season. It is super weird to look at and play funny at the ends of the spectrum with length and loft differences, but it'd be certainly interesting to see how it goes.

I'm sure I could swing them, just don't know how much of a learning curve there will be. I'm thinking that 5-7 that there won't be much of an issue, but the strongest part of my game is 8 on up having a longer shaft and probably the mental issue would be the biggest challenge. That said, I'd be willing to give it a go for one season exclusively just to see if there is a better mouse trap and for curiosity, just never know until you try it.

you hand me the clubs with the shafts I like for free and ill hit them haha

I would give it the ole college try. I think the hardest part for me would be the gapping and learning where everything landed. Once I have that down, I feel like I could make them work.

If/when I give single length a shot, I think I'd need to commit to a full season. I'm sure there would be some time to get used to it, and I think a short-term test wouldn't do it justice.

Now, I think there's a chance I would know before a full season if it wasn't for me, but I would be open to a full season.

I see a lot of mentions about adjustment and it really confuses me. Everybody swings a 7 iron and doesn't adjust. Its no different than hitting a bunch of 7 irons, right? The larger adjustment would be the idea that every club is a different length, I just think we are programmed a bit.

Could I? Sure. Do I want to? No.

I could do it, and if money was no object I would certainly give it a go

I see a lot of mentions about adjustment and it really confuses me. Everybody swings a 7 iron and doesn't adjust. Its no different than hitting a bunch of 7 irons, right? The larger adjustment would be the idea that every club is a different length, I just think we are programmed a bit.

The only adjustment I would forsee is if the yardages were different to my current clubs, so I would need to take that into account, but that would potentially be the same with any new set of clubs

For sure I could give it a full season.

My buddy wants to do SL with game golf for a season, I don't see why not.

I am seriously considering them. They make sense in my head (at least the longer irons do) so I think I am going to include them in my current iron hunt. I am struggling thinking about longer wedges/short clubs though...

I do not have any experience with OL irons so i cant answer definitively yes or no. But i have hit a 7 iron before so maybe that is all the experience I need. Corbra Irons for me are just ok in the looks department so that is a factor. Still I am interested and if the opportunity presented itself I would jump on it. My 2019 bag is all ready set so OL is going to have to wait another year.

I'd love to try.

I think the biggest hurdle for me to get over would be the additional length around the greens. It's not something I couldn't overcome, but I imagine it would require some additional dedicated practice.

I would try it. Really nothing to lose. To me, the wedges would present the biggest challenge adjustment due to the increased length of those clubs.

I think I probably could but it's not my preference. It would be tough if I hit a rough stretch to work through it and not put blame on the set, after all it's always the clubs fault right? It would be interesting to see what the results would be after a year but probably wouldn't be the first thing I'd want to tinker with.

I could. I don't tend to tinker much during the season anyway so I think it would be easy for me to do. I tend to do most of my testing and buying between Feb/Mar and then am set to go for the season.

Yeah, I would definitely give them a fair shot for a full season. As a matter of fact, if I get selected for the MC I would absolutely be choosing the one length option and game them for the rest of the year. I made a huge mistake last year by alternating between 3 different sets and my handicap suffered for it. My plan for next year is to focus on one iron set for as long as humanely possible to see if I can get down to my personal best 10 handi (whether I'm lucky enough to get a set from a THP event or just use my current gamers--there will be very few changes in my gear next year).

The biggest adjustment I'd think would be the short/scoring irons. I'm completely on-board with a 7 iron length 4/5/6 but I'm not too sure how accurate I'd be with a 7 iron length 8/9/P. As a short guy (5'6) I'd really have to dial in those numbers with the shorter irons.

Sure, why not? I would try anything once. I would probably cut that short at a 9 iron though and get a 4 piece individual wedge set outside of the one length. To me it makes perfect sense for all irons and hybrids though.

7i is one of my strongest clubs in the bag so this is something I have seriously considered over the past couple years. I would definitely give them a go for a full season if presented the opportunity.

Already have been using them exclusively for a season.

Yes, there is a period where you have to get used to the irons but since that week long break-in period, it’s honestly weird to play a variable length set.

The single length irons idea has intrigued me since I watched Bryson when the US Amateur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...I think the hardest part for me would be the gapping and learning where everything landed.

This would be identical to any other new set of clubs, OL or progressive, correct?

This exactly! It’s a mental adjustment.

The first time I swung my OL 56* wedge was funky but it didn’t take long to trust that it wouldn’t go really far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back